Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB Thermometer/Hygrometer?

USB Thermometer/Hygrometer?
MadanKnightRyukendo
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2010, 09:31 PM

In the fall I'm heading back for my last full year of undergraduate work. I'm going back with a fairly nice computer setup, but I'm also looking into a pet to take with me. As it will most likely be a reptile of some sort, I'll probably have to keep an eye on temperatures in it's living space and possibly humidity. So, since it will probably be located very near my computer setup, and because a lot of the thermometers I've been finding have seemed rather lame looking, I was thinking about picking up some sort of thermometer/hygrometer that I could install in the living space and monitor through either my main computer (PowerBook) or my secondary computer (netbook running Ubuntu). Is there anything of the sort on the market that will run on OS X 10.4 or Ubuntu?

"Listen, I don't do warning shots: From start to end, it's completely a climax. Say your prayers."

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2010, 05:40 PM

Does it have to be hooked to your computers? If not, check this out: http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3082525

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2010, 03:15 PM

I'm not aware much of such things, but if you figure it out, I'd be interested to see how you work it out.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2010, 02:27 AM

I just googled-up this thread while looking for a USB thermometer myself. Ironically, I was going to post on this forum when I couldn't find one. I'm just looking for a simple USB dongle with a CLI app I can use to get the current temp from.

Unfortunately, the only one I've been able to find that seems reputable, was $120. There are tons of $10-20 out there, but they all are windows-only, with packages written in Engrish.

Forum Links
Forum Rules