Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I need help with my powermac g5

I need help with my powermac g5
shane0123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2011, 10:57 AM

So I add a new hard drive without cloning the old one to it. I went in to disk utility and tould it to boot from the new disk. This does't work so I need to know how to tell it how to boot up from the old disk and not the new one. Tried the options key at start up but it on shows old disk and the computer keep running and will not let me click on anything, What can i try next?

P
Mar 6, 2011, 11:21 AM

Are you using a wireless mouse or keyboard? Try using a wired mouse and keyboard to select the correct disk (you can use the mouse and doubleclick or use arrow keys and return).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 6, 2011, 11:53 AM

Have you installed an OS to the new hard drive?

Chito
Senior User
Mar 6, 2011, 12:06 PM

IIRC start up while holding down the option key will get you to the boot panel, all of your available startup disk options will be listed there.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2011, 01:26 PM

I have to wait a loooong time after doing the option-key-to-choose-an-OS thing before, like 4 or 5 minutes while it looks for drives, even after a couple show up.

Alternatively, If you pull the new drive back out, it'll boot from the old one after a sec. You'll see the flashing question mark folder for a few seconds, then it'll detect the drive that's still there. Change your prefs back, then re-install the drive.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2011, 03:39 PM

Holding down the X key during startup would force the system to boot into OS X.

If that doesn't work, insert the Mac OS X Install disc and hold down the C key to boot up from the Install disc. It will take longer than booting up from the hard disk, but you would be able to choose the start up disk going to the Tools (IIRC) menu.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2011, 04:17 PM

Its Utilities menu -> Startup Disk.

Failing that, disconnect the cable from the new disk, then choose Startup Disk from the Apps -> Utilities folder once booted and choose the old drive as boot drive. Then you can reboot and reconnect the new one. Like Chris said.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

MacCompuFix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2011, 04:25 PM

If the system will start, you need to go into the System Preferences and select the Startup Disk icon then select the disk you would like your machine to start from.

Forum Links
Forum Rules