Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X 10.1/10.2 Server - Server Monitor

OS X 10.1/10.2 Server - Server Monitor
legacyb4
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2002, 12:48 AM

Can anyone using either of the above on "normal" Mac (not an XServe) confirm if the Server Monitor tools are available for monitoring any hardware on their machine?

More than anything, I'd be interested in drive status...

The reason I ask is with the release of the new G4 towers in Server edition, it's gets hard to justify an XServe if you need a less-than-top-end server unit.

Sure, the drive and PCI subsystems are faster on an XServe than on a G4 Mirrored Doors model but at the cost spread between a similarly configured (storage, memory, care plan) XServe versus a dual 867, you could almost buy a second G4 as a backup...

Thanks.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Rickster
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2002, 04:41 AM

The Server Monitor app is only of use with Xserve. Yeah, you can run it on any hardware, but you'll have to have an Xserve to connect to if you want it to show you any actual data instead of just a pretty window.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

lars-man
Aug 29, 2002, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by Rickster:
The Server Monitor app is only of use with Xserve. Yeah, you can run it on any hardware, but you'll have to have an Xserve to connect to if you want it to show you any actual data instead of just a pretty window.
I'm running Jag Server on a G4/400 GBit Ethernet. I have the same problems. The app only says "Reply not understood" >:-( But it should be possible to display infos of non-XServe typical elements. At least it should be able to display what kind of processor or the amount of ram installed in this machine. But it just shows nothing (only time and ip-address).

There's another issue: Clicking the button "Get Apple System Profiler report" launches always the AppleSystemProfiler - but in Classic >:-( - what the hell is this??? But launching the ASP is a chance to obtain some infos about the server. Therefore i ask myself, why it is not possible to show that data directly in the monitoring app?

Lars

--------------------------
I#m just a german student - I hope you were able to understand my concern

Forum Links
Forum Rules