Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Stupid dock question

Stupid dock question
Nai no Kami
Senior User
Aug 28, 2002, 05:04 PM

I have many times seen how most of the stupidest features were discovered by people after having them in front of their heads for a long time. This has been my case too in one or two ocassions.
Now, fearig to meet one ocassion more, I ask: Is it possible to close the windows in the dock without maximizing them first?
I cannot see the option when I ctrl+click the windows in the dock, and pressing the modifier keys doesn�t show anything up.

Thanks.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Aug 28, 2002, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Nai no Kami:
I have many times seen how most of the stupidest features were discovered by people after having them in front of their heads for a long time. This has been my case too in one or two ocassions.
Now, fearig to meet one ocassion more, I ask: Is it possible to close the windows in the dock without maximizing them first?
I cannot see the option when I ctrl+click the windows in the dock, and pressing the modifier keys doesn�t show anything up.

Thanks.
Click and hold on the item you want closed. A contextual menu will appear.
PC's are Feces!!!!

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2002, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Senior Member:

Click and hold on the item you want closed. A contextual menu will appear.
Yes, but it doesn't seem to contain a 'Close' item.

J

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Aug 28, 2002, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:

Yes, but it doesn't seem to contain a 'Close' item.

J

You cannot close windows from the dock.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2002, 05:37 PM

Yet.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2002, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by lookmark:
Yet.

And what good does that do for the original poster?

Anyhow, it should be noted that you could close *some* windows through the context menu with the Dock in earlier builds of 10.2. Hopefully Apple will reintroduce this feature when it works for all apps, but there is no guarantee that this will happen.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

Apex
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2002, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by starfleetX:

And what good does that do for the original poster?

Anyhow, it should be noted that you could close *some* windows through the context menu with the Dock in earlier builds of 10.2. Hopefully Apple will reintroduce this feature when it works for all apps, but there is no guarantee that this will happen.
Hmm... I'm at work right now, so I can't test this out on my home Mac, but I'm pretty sure you can directly close windows if you have a two or more button mounse. I replaced my normal mac mouse (a cool-looking, clear one button model) with a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer, and when I right click items in the dock, I can close them. (At least some of them.)

I really wish Apple would make cool looking mice w/ more than one button, and a scrolly wheel. I can't live w/o the wheel anymore, and it makes my desktop look all nasty w/ that grey chunk of plastic sitting there.

Oh well - life goes on.

khufuu
Aug 28, 2002, 08:29 PM

If you click and hold on the dock, you get the 'Quit' option on the contextual menu. This will 'close' the entire application.

Nai no Kami  (op)
Senior User
Aug 29, 2002, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the replies. As far as I can see, there is no way to close minimized windows from the dock (disregarding non Apple HW). At least, the feature was once present so it can be implemented.
khufuu: thanks for your tip, but (and I don�t mean to be rude) is as useful as using shut down to close all minimized windows for every open application...

I hope this will be implemented soon since it would be really useful.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2002, 12:17 PM

There is a hack thet enables the 'hide' option in the dock menus. Perhaps someone could create something similar for the 'close window' option?

Forum Links
Forum Rules