Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Viewing newsletters offline in Mail.app

Viewing newsletters offline in Mail.app
Nai no Kami
Senior User
Sep 11, 2002, 10:33 AM

I have a modem connection and I use Mail for my email needs.
Whenever I receive a newsletter such as Apple News or other with lots of inline images, I am able to see them (the images) only if I am online (connected to the Internet). When I disconnect, I only see the placers for the images.
What is annoying is that most of this mails have text rendered as images and if you can�t see them they become almost unreadable.
For those who suggest plain text view, you know that it is not the same at all.
Help says that there is a checkbox for downloading this content in Preferences>Viewing. This is outdated, since this was on the previous version of Mail, an it didn't work properly then.
Also, there is an option for this for IMAP (.mac included) accounts in the "Advanced" tab. None is present for POP accounts.
Thanks a lot for your help on this. I am sure there is a way to display content offline.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2002, 11:32 AM

This will more be the fault of the HTML mail not a problem with Mail.app.
The email newsletter will have full internet links for the images. So instead of sendind the images as attachments to the mail, the HTML code in the emall will pull them from a web server (like a web page) this makes the emall lots smaller, an important feature if you are sending out 100's of mails.
The problem with this is that there is no way of vewing the images 'off line'. This could be solved if Mail.app has a web browser like image cash, but sadly it doesn't.

Forum Links
Forum Rules