Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > FINALLY. Entourage with full Exchange support available for download

FINALLY. Entourage with full Exchange support available for download (Page 2)
ingeniero
Sep 24, 2003, 03:39 PM

Are you saying you can use the Mail program within Jaguar to access an Exchange Server email account? How can this be done. Someone in this topic mentioned that Panther's mail app will have Exchanger Server support. Can anyone confirm that? MS never updated the Outlook 2001 for use with OS X. thanks!!

laxthxdude
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 11:50 PM

Yes, Mail in Panther can connect to Exchange. However, the catch is that is an IMAP3 connection - the same thing Entourage with Exchange support uses. Mail can not do any advanced features: public folders, schedules and calendars, etc. It will however do mail functions just fine.

laxthxdude
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2003, 11:54 PM

Hey MS, PLEASE write a cocoa port of Outlook for OS X. The hack job of Entourage with Exchange support is a lame attempt. Our users would be better to use OWA access. If you want a true competitor to Lotus Notes, PLEASE release Outlook for OS X!!!

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2004, 03:42 PM

This thread seems to have died some time ago.

Having just started a migration to OS X at the office, I'm faced with finding a solution with a mail/calendar client to gain full functionality with the company's Exchange servers.

It appears I'm having the same issues that were discuess in this thread months agoï¿œunable to access the Exchange calendar and the global address books.

I'm hoping that there's now a resolution to the problem that I'm just missing. I've updated to 10.1.4, which I believe to be the latest version.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2004, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Dougmc:
This thread seems to have died some time ago.

Having just started a migration to OS X at the office, I'm faced with finding a solution with a mail/calendar client to gain full functionality with the company's Exchange servers.

It appears I'm having the same issues that were discuess in this thread months agoï¿œunable to access the Exchange calendar and the global address books.

I'm hoping that there's now a resolution to the problem that I'm just missing. I've updated to 10.1.4, which I believe to be the latest version.
I'm not aware of the situation having changed in the last months. For better or worse, it seems this is the extent of MS's attempt to include Exchange support in Entourage. I gave up on it months ago and just use Outlook Web Access via Safari. Not the prettiest interface (looks like the old Exchange client for OS 9), but it works. Sorry.

cpac
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2004, 04:42 PM

There's outlook express in classic too, if that still works.

Also, you might want to drop by the MS mac site and see if they are going to have exchange compatibility improvements in Office 2004 (due out in the next few months)
cpac

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2004, 04:56 PM

I'll check to see if there's something new rolling out.

The update that I downloaded today was posted 01/2004.

On the Exchange site they tout all the capabilities being functional, however, they're not.

At least, I'm not finding them working at all.

Quote from the site:
"Account setup
Setting up your Exchange account in Entourage is a snap. You supply your basic user information, and Entourage does the rest."

That is in no way the case from my experiences. The only way that I could get Entourage to even see the Exchange server was to manually set it up.

Quote from the site:
"Directory service
Quickly locate e-mail addresses by searching the Exchange global address list (GAL)."

Again, it's not happening for me.

This is truly disappointing because my department has become dependant on the functionality of Outlook 2001 running on OS 9.2.2. It truly would be a shame to take a step backwards with what should be newer technology.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

-Q-
Mar 26, 2004, 05:41 PM

Here's some stuff from Snerdware that may be helpful. It does require Exchange 2000 and another outlay of cash tho'.

-Q-
Mar 26, 2004, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
Also, you might want to drop by the MS mac site and see if they are going to have exchange compatibility improvements in Office 2004 (due out in the next few months)
I haven't seen any so far.

Forum Links
Forum Rules