Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New things I've found in Tiger

New things I've found in Tiger (Page 3)
zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by ratlater:
Did you encode that with h.264? Cause we poor pantherites can't play with that toy yet.

-matt
LOL, no...it freezes when I try to save it as H.264.

Anyway, try this, straight from Snapz: http://www.lightscreamer.com/forums/...artfolders.mov

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 05:10 PM

I give you The Classy Pr0n-downloader

Preview is out of whack, which explains all the PDF-screenshots here. It just can't save to JPEG it seems. Neither can it create a new document from the clipboard.

Other than that no show-stoppers yet. How about the rest of you?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 05:17 PM

Post the workflow!

I tried making a workflow that would take a screenshot and convert it to JPEG, but I get an error.

Not really a showstopper, but my internet is kind of flaky. Sometimes it just doesn't work, and I can't get an IP address (from either Ethernet or AirPort) until I reset the modem.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2004, 05:21 PM

Any more info on the .mac DNS prefpane thing - adding DNS to .mac would be quite nice - build it into the OS.

I have a dyndns acct, but that is something that apple could make really easy with a GUI, OS interface...

Any more info??

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by LeeG:
Any more info on the .mac DNS prefpane thing - adding DNS to .mac would be quite nice - build it into the OS.

I have a dyndns acct, but that is something that apple could make really easy with a GUI, OS interface...

Any more info??

L
http://www.lightscreamer.com/forums/...ac_domains.jpg

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2004, 05:45 PM

My workflow contains an error, instead of copy files it should have used Download internet files. Still produces an error though (good old type -1). And my old lady is gone tonight as well. That makes me a sad panda!

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2004, 07:32 PM

Did not read the thread, but when you make a new folder in list view its name stays highlighted!

-Owl

kupan787
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 07:33 PM

Can someone with Tiger go into your /System/Library/QuickTime folder, and list the names of the codecs there. I am wondering if the new H.264 codec could be extracted and placed in a QuickTime install under Panther (much like you could do with the Pixlet codec from Panther to Jag). If someone could easily find the H.264 codec, and perhaps PM me...

LudwigVan123
Jun 30, 2004, 07:43 PM

A usability question: Someone asked in another forum if the Dashboard gadgets can remain active in the background while using another non-Dashboard application. The thinking by the poster is that since the menu bar goes grey when Dashboard is invoked, he can't, say, watch the gadget web cams and work on MS Word at the same time.

Thanks.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by kupan787:
Can someone with Tiger go into your /System/Library/QuickTime folder, and list the names of the codecs there. I am wondering if the new H.264 codec could be extracted and placed in a QuickTime install under Panther (much like you could do with the Pixlet codec from Panther to Jag). If someone could easily find the H.264 codec, and perhaps PM me...
Please don't get this thread locked.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2004, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by LudwigVan123:
A usability question: Someone asked in another forum if the Dashboard gadgets can remain active in the background while using another non-Dashboard application. The thinking by the poster is that since the menu bar goes grey when Dashboard is invoked, he can't, say, watch the gadget web cams and work on MS Word at the same time.

Thanks.
No way to do this at the moment, if you click on anything that is not awidget while dashboard is up, it dissapears.

� Each Widget while running shows up in Activity Viewer

� � Names look like: "iTunes DashboardClient"

� Widgets are called Gadgets

� � Live in /Library/Gadgets/

� � Dashboard calles them Gadgets too.

� �_"Stickies.Gadget"

� � � This is so it don't conflict with konfabulator

� � � � For those who thought there was a slim chance konfabulator widgets would load with dashboard... they don't

- I can't find the Hotkey for Spotlight (Don't think there is one yet)

-Owl

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 09:23 PM

It appears from that movie of Smart Folders that they can only live in the sidebar... is this true? The utility of Smart Folders would be much reduced if I was only allowed to have four or five of them globally at any one time before I could no longer see them all! Can you drag their proxy icon in the title bar to the Desktop and create an alias? Can they at least live in the Dock...?

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2004, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by Phoenix1701:
It appears from that movie of Smart Folders that they can only live in the sidebar... is this true? The utility of Smart Folders would be much reduced if I was only allowed to have four or five of them globally at any one time before I could no longer see them all! Can you drag their proxy icon in the title bar to the Desktop and create an alias? Can they at least live in the Dock...?
Ah ha!

I was able to copy and past it out of the Sidebar onto the desktop (and other folders).

It works just like it does on the sidebar. And keeps the "Smart" icon.

So yes you can, but at the moment (unless I am missing something) it is kind of an odd way to do it.

-Owl

ul1984
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2004, 09:36 PM

i dont know if this has been mentioned yet, but i found something called Quartz 2D Extreme(disabled by default) in Quartz Debug, and i thought this might be an attempt to try to offload Quartz 2D to the GPU.

so i tested it using Xbench.

Quartz 2D Extreme disabled:
Code:
Quartz Graphics Test 163.62 Line 128.18 3.26 Klines/sec [50% alpha] Rectangle 157.49 11.08 Krects/sec [50% alpha] Circle 158.53 3.65 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha] Bezier 154.16 1.68 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha] Text 276.89 4.51 Kchars/sec
Quartz 2D Extreme enabled:
Code:
Quartz Graphics Test 174.47 Line 127.18 3.24 Klines/sec [50% alpha] Rectangle 157.36 11.07 Krects/sec [50% alpha] Circle 157.85 3.64 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha] Bezier 151.55 1.65 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha] Text 664.02 10.82 Kchars/sec
notice the BIG text speedup!

then i opened Terminal and maximized the terminal window and typed "ps auxc", to try scrolling, and it sure is faster!

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 09:37 PM

I made a random insult gadget! (well - I stole most of the JS from a web insult generator.)

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2004, 09:51 PM

DivX's AVI importer (to fix MP3s in AVIs) is broken.

(VLC is not)

-Owl

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by ul1984:
i dont know if this has been mentioned yet, but i found something called Quartz 2D Extreme(disabled by default) in Quartz Debug, and i thought this might be an attempt to try to offload Quartz 2D to the GPU.

notice the BIG text speedup!

then i opened Terminal and maximized the terminal window and typed "ps auxc", to try scrolling, and it sure is faster!
That's why I asked for full Xbench results. I'm sure there is a speed up across most of the system even if this is still a beta.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by Phoenix1701:
It seems like a new folder is created somewhere. Notice how the "Safari Items" smart folder appears in the smart folder listing immediately. I wonder where it initially "lives"
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2004, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
It seems like a new folder is created somewhere. Notice how the "Safari Items" smart folder appears in the smart folder listing immediately. I wonder where it initially "lives"
~/Saved Searches/

And on the question of living in the dock, it can be put in the dock, but a menu listing does NOT show up like normal folders.

You can't get info on them, thus not change their icon.

-Owl
( Last edited by OwlBoy; Jun 30, 2004 at 10:15 PM. )

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2004, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:

I made a random insult gadget! (well - I stole most of the JS from a web insult generator.)
Awesome!! How long did it took you to make that gadget?

I could contribute some graphics

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by tRr:
Here are some pictures...

Quicktime with Sound Properties open
OMFG - Apple have FINALLY applied the standard OSX brushed metal to QuickTime rather than QuickTime implementing its own flawed brushed metal (eg titlebar text does not dim when window inactive, close button is non-responsive in lower right 25% region, etc).

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 10:20 PM

If you hit RETURN on a file in Finder does it now OPEN that file as one would expect, or does it still violate Apple's own "non-destructive by default" policy and throw the file into rename mode?

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2004, 10:25 PM

I take back what I said about about getting info on Searches.

The inspector works on them. And so does Command-I, yet the menu item is always greyed out when sleected.

They are named "Music.savedSearch" for example.

www.owlboy.com/smart_search_info.pdf

Another note: Preview seems to be missing "Export..." (Will it be in QT Pro?)

-Owl

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2004, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
If you hit RETURN on a file in Finder does it now OPEN that file as one would expect, or does it still violate Apple's own "non-destructive by default" policy and throw the file into rename mode?
It has been like this since System 7... (and before? never used earlier ones) It's NOT gonna change

-Owl

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jun 30, 2004, 10:36 PM

Someone open DVD Player and push the "Help" key. Does a question mark cursor show up? If so, open a known carbon app push the "Help" key, does a question mark cursor show up? If not, open a known Cocoa app and push the "Help" key, if a quesiton mark cursor shows up, I'm happy,

Moose
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
Someone open DVD Player and push the "Help" key. Does a question mark cursor show up? If so, open a known carbon app push the "Help" key, does a question mark cursor show up? If not, open a known Cocoa app and push the "Help" key, if a quesiton mark cursor shows up, I'm happy,
What exactly is it you're trying to learn from this?

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2004, 10:41 PM

DVD Player: No
Cocoa App (Colloquy): Yes
Carbon App (ICQ): No

-Owl

p.s. Time to delete ICQ, never knew i still had it. Viva la Adium!

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2004, 10:47 PM

Terminal.app

� Transperent windows lose the window shadow.
� Windows have a one pixel boarder (White)
� No, you can't drag with the Boarder.

-Owl

Moose
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
� No, you can't drag with the Boarder.
Does he at least pay rent?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jun 30, 2004, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by Moose:
What exactly is it you're trying to learn from this?
I just wanted to know if DVD Player got a significant framework change. Not that is matters.

Moose
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 10:52 PM

I just wanted to know if DVD Player got a significant framework change. Not that is matters.
Asking what happens to the cursor when you press the help button gives the impression that you don't understand what a framework is or does.

In the future, you might consider asking for the output of otool -L.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:

Cool! I'm going to try to make a Gmail widget. Dunno how far I'll get, though.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jun 30, 2004, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by Moose:
Asking what happens to the cursor when you press the help button gives the impression that you don't understand what a framework is or does.

In the future, you might consider asking for the output of otool -L.
Nah...people get scared off when I ask that. The question mark cursor is a much better way of getting people to do what I ask.

natan
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2004, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
Cool! I'm going to try to make a Gmail widget. Dunno how far I'll get, though.
I was hoping to take a crack at that too, since I can probably drop in sections of the gCount bundle...

chris_h
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 11:11 PM

So, has noone put up a Gadget Repository yet?

I can't imagine it taking another 12, 6, or even 3 months to get this cleaned up and out the door... they must have alot more in the works.

\

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by chris_h:
So, has noone put up a Gadget Repository yet?

I can't imagine it taking another 12, 6, or even 3 months to get this cleaned up and out the door... they must have alot more in the works.

\
On the "Dashboard" (where all of the gadgets are listed), there is a button labelled "More Gadgets" that links to http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2004, 12:09 AM

-oops-

Moose
Senior User
Jul 1, 2004, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by chris_h:
they must have alot more in the works.
Yes.

Like making it feature-complete.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2004, 12:36 AM

question about dashboard, this might be a stupid question, but hey. . .
it is possible to assign it to a screen corner? what i saw of dashboard during the keynote it looks like it could be very awesome. but i would hardly use expose if i had to press a keyboard shortcut to use it, i only use it with a screen corner.

hopefully dashboard can be assigned to a corner. i don't really need a corner to start my screensaver.

thanks, and keep the info coming.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jul 1, 2004, 12:54 AM

Interesting question - I was also rather surprised to hear that the default Dashboard hotkey is F12 ... so if you're using any Office App, you'll be asked to save your file as well as getting gadgets in your face! F8 would have been a better choice I fancy.

Now a request: from a post somewhere up there I gather there is still a stand-alone Calculator app outside of Dashboard ... cool!

So how are the plugins for it going? Currently in Panther they are hidden by default and rather 'work-in-progress'-ish when activated. Mainly I'm interested in the graphics plugin - is it anywhere near like OS9's Graphing Calculator yet, please?

Also anything new with iTunes? I'm guessing no, but with Quicktime getting proper metal ... there's hope!

zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 12:54 AM

A couple more shots:

Mail - Account Info
Mail - Compose Options

And I figured out how to save as JPEG in Preview. For those running the DP, take screenshots by using the "Grab" options in Preview. That gives you a TIFF file in Preview, and if you hit Command-Shift-S, it'll give you this:

Preview - Export
( Last edited by zachs; Jul 1, 2004 at 01:02 AM. )

zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by mdc:
question about dashboard, this might be a stupid question, but hey. . .
it is possible to assign it to a screen corner? what i saw of dashboard during the keynote it looks like it could be very awesome. but i would hardly use expose if i had to press a keyboard shortcut to use it, i only use it with a screen corner.

hopefully dashboard can be assigned to a corner. i don't really need a corner to start my screensaver.

thanks, and keep the info coming.
Right now, no, there is no way to set a "hot corner" for Dashboard. But it seems like such an obvious thing, that I'm sure they'll add it.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by MartiNZ:
Interesting question - I was also rather surprised to hear that the default Dashboard hotkey is F12 ... so if you're using any Office App, you'll be asked to save your file as well as getting gadgets in your face! F8 would have been a better choice I fancy.

Now a request: from a post somewhere up there I gather there is still a stand-alone Calculator app outside of Dashboard ... cool!

So how are the plugins for it going? Currently in Panther they are hidden by default and rather 'work-in-progress'-ish when activated. Mainly I'm interested in the graphics plugin - is it anywhere near like OS9's Graphing Calculator yet, please?

Also anything new with iTunes? I'm guessing no, but with Quicktime getting proper metal ... there's hope!
Dashboard: You can change the hotkey in the same way you change the hotkey for the Expose actions.

As of now, there are two plug-ins: one for the Basic & Scientific views; one for the Hex (or "Programmer") view. The graphics plugin is no longer there.

Nothing new in iTunes, as it is the same version (4.6).

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jul 1, 2004, 01:07 AM

Cheers for that ... and the speed of that!

Has anything changed with Finder's Get Info / Show Inspector? For a start, can the windows be resized to fit titles better, or at least fit dates with months like September in one line?

And more interestingly, is there any way to get info on several separate items at once, rather than info for 'several items'?

Finally, is the 'Purple' label colour in the menus more like the actual 'Purple' label colour now?

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jul 1, 2004, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by zachs:
A couple more shots:

Mail - Account Info
Mail - Compose Options

And I figured out how to save as JPEG in Preview. For those running the DP, take screenshots by using the "Grab" options in Preview. That gives you a TIFF file in Preview, and if you hit Command-Shift-S, it'll give you this:

Preview - Export
Maybe I am totally missing the point, but why are there checkboxes on all the possibilities in the mail compose window?

Also, after the Sigs, is that priority? And what about the bolt and the 'X' burst?

Thanks.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by MartiNZ:
Cheers for that ... and the speed of that!

Has anything changed with Finder's Get Info / Show Inspector? For a start, can the windows be resized to fit titles better, or at least fit dates with months like September in one line?
There is now a section for to change the item's label color.

Here is an example of an Info window: http://www.lightscreamer.com/forums/tiger/infopanel.jpg .

And more interestingly, is there any way to get info on several separate items at once, rather than info for 'several items'?
If you select two or more items, and open the Info panel (Command-I), separate windows for each item open up.

If you open the Inspector (Command-Option-I), you'll get combined info for all the items.

Finally, is the 'Purple' label colour in the menus more like the actual 'Purple' label colour now?
I believe it is the same as in Panther.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by :dragonflypro::
Maybe I am totally missing the point, but why are there checkboxes on all the possibilities in the mail compose window?

Also, after the Sigs, is that priority? And what about the bolt and the 'X' burst?

Thanks.
Those options appear when you click on the little arrow button. You can toggle fields on and off.

The options after the sigs are disabled now, so I do not know what they do.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2004, 03:24 AM

Great info here guys. Thanks a lot! Allow me two short questions:

- let's say you have smart folders or saved searches that contain a file called foo.bar which really sits at ~/Documents/foo.bar. Now what happens when you search for a file called foo.bar? Does it show up once or three times? Does it only show up with it's real path or do the listings in the smart folder and the saved search folder show up too?

- can I save Spotlight searches to search folders too or is this just limited to Finder searches?

- in Spotlight, can I also select listed items to show up in their Finder window instead of actually opening them? Is this available in a CM maybe?

zachs
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 03:28 AM

Originally posted by Simon:
Great info here guys. Thanks a lot! Allow me two short questions:

- let's say you have smart folders or saved searches that contain a file called foo.bar which really sits at ~/Documents/foo.bar. Now what happens when you search for a file called foo.bar? does it show up once or three times? Does it only show up with it's real path or do the listings in the smart folder and the saved search folder show up too?
No, the files in the smart folder do not show up in search results.

- in Spotlight, can I also select listed items to show up in their Finder window instead of actually opening them? Is this available in a CM maybe?
If you click Show All, you can then right-click on a file and Reveal In Finder.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2004, 03:33 AM

Stupid thing about the Calculator Gadget: You can't copy and paste.

Calculator, the app, is improved though. Except it devolved in one thing: I do not need to see what Currencies were updated when I update them, no need for an extra click there

Forum Links
Forum Rules