Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > American Dad

American Dad
gumby5647
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2005, 12:46 AM

It was better than I thought i'd be....

They changed the voice of steve since the preview in "The Freaking Sweet Collection"

Other than that.....can't wait for more episodes...
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 12:56 AM

I tought it was OK. Some funny jokes, but overall I tought it lacked something I can't put my finger on. Fsmilly Guy is a tough act to follow. You can't compare this show to Familly Guy, but it's hard not to since Seth McFarlane does voices on both shows. Futurama was way more different from The Simpsons than American Dad is from Familly Guy. I guess it will get better as it goes on and we get used to it. I will definatly watch it again.

deej5871
Senior User
Feb 7, 2005, 01:04 AM

Ahhh! Damn! I missed it! I had been planning on watching it for a while but I had stuff I wanted to do right after the game and I thought the Simpsons would take longer. Plus I lost track of time.

Grr..

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 01:11 AM

I thought it sucked. It was the Family Guy.

Dumb Dad... check! (CIA Dad/Peter)
Sociopath Who Talks But Isn't Really Supposed to Be Able To... check! (fish/Stewie)
Why Is She With Him Mom... check! (the wives)
Wacky Sidekick... check! (alien/Brian the dog)

It seems even animated sitcoms are formulaic.

Long Live Family Guy... Down with the imitators.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 01:17 AM

Sorry posting mishap...

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
Dumb Dad... check! (CIA Dad/Peter)
Sociopath Who Talks But Isn't Really Supposed to Be Able To... check! (fish/Stewie)
Why Is She With Him Mom... check! (the wives)
Wacky Sidekick... check! (alien/Brian the dog)
Obnoxious dauther and Nerdy son... Check!

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 01:34 AM

I'm just waiting for new family guy shows. Thats right. New ones.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2005, 01:53 AM

I thought the dad stuff was very funny and the stuff away from the house was funny.

The fish and alien have really got to go, however. Terrible and pointless.

The kids were lame but I see potential.

Just kill the fish and the alien. Horrible horrible horrible.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2005, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by MilkmanDan:
I'm just waiting for new family guy shows. Thats right. New ones.
As we all are. That's right. We all are.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2005, 02:11 AM

So is it going to rerun anytime soon? I missed it.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2005, 02:12 AM

American Dad has no character to rival the awesomeness that is Stewie. I watch Family Guy for Stewie.

thesearcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2005, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
It was the Family Guy, if the Family Guy was dull, and nearly unwatchable.
Fixed.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 7, 2005, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
So is it going to rerun anytime soon? I missed it.
The internet is lovely.

Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2005, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
The internet is lovely.
Hey don't advocate or encourage piracy on these boards!

You're ruining it for the rest of us!

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 7, 2005, 02:49 AM

Hey don't advocate or encourage piracy on these boards!

You're ruining it for the rest of us!
First of all, I didn't advocate anything. I just made a comment about the internet. Secondly, advocating piracy isn't against the rules. Aiding in piracy is, which is what is going on when people start exchanging websites and such.

york28
Senior User
Feb 7, 2005, 06:27 AM

Using streotypical 'American' characters as the basis for the show is an interesting idea, and I liked its increased political awareness.

That being said, is was ok but not great. The characters being stereotypical actually makes the show boring, as there is really no interesting character interaction. We all know what a geeky kid or a jock dad are going to do in a given situation. So we're left with just the comedy of the CIA dad, which isn't bad, but isn't enough to carry the whole show.

Mr. McFarlane, might I suggest you focus your efforts on Family Guy and drop the imitator?
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2005, 06:38 AM

Hey guys, before you sacrifice me on the altar that is McFarlane, hear me out for a quick second. American Dad was awful, but it was no better or worse than Family Guy! Family Guy must have an RDF quotient greater than anything Steve Jobs could produce on his best day, because, for some reason, throngs of otherwise sensible people seem to like it. Go figure. Perhaps people enjoy Family Guy for the same reasons they enjoy using Windows.

Flame away.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Feb 7, 2005 at 06:53 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2005, 08:07 AM

I watched the first act of American Dad and was not impressed. Recycled Family Guy was my first impression.

I will have to re-watch the pilot of FG to see if it fared better. I have high hopes for FG's new season (that it will be more than a last effort and go at least two seasons). AD seems a little too contrived. A talking fish? I could handle the talking dog, but c'mon!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 09:52 AM

God:
hey its chaney i gotta take this
God:
yes sir?
i thought that was great. yes a family guy copy but its written by the same guy. and family guy is a good show. so why not enjoy it .
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2005, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
First of all, I didn't advocate anything. I just made a comment about the internet. Secondly, advocating piracy isn't against the rules. Aiding in piracy is, which is what is going on when people start exchanging websites and such.
Can't take a joke can we?

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2005, 11:12 AM

It was far too similar to Family Guy in the setup, as noted above, but the first episode of Family Guy wasn't 100% brillant either.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2005, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
It was far too similar to Family Guy in the setup, as noted above, but the first episode of Family Guy wasn't 100% brillant either.
For the sake of argument, what constitutes a 100% brilliant episode of Family Guy? Point me to that episode and I will sit through it the next time Adult Swim has it on, watching it with as unbiased eyes as I can. I guarantee that the best episode of Family Guy looks like steaming excrement compared to the likes of The Simpsons Seasons 3-9, King of the Hill Seasons 1-7 or Futurama.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 7, 2005, 12:59 PM

Can't take a joke can we?
Apparently not... although the first half of my response was in jest. Oh well.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2005, 01:21 PM

First off I would like to say that I love Family Guy.

That said Family Guy has pretty much ripped off 80% of their material from Simpsons. If you don't believe me go watch seasons 2-5.

American dad was basically the best thing on last night (cept the Pats becoming a dynasty and all ) but that isn't saying much. Weak jokes, weak characters, and a pointless German fish. I also agree McFarlane would be best spending his time just working on Family Guy. I know it was only the first episode, but Family Guy's first episode was head and shoulders above American Dad.

Getting off track last night's Simpsons episode was so terrible that American Dad was even better, poor Simpsons.

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
For the sake of argument, what constitutes a 100% brilliant episode of Family Guy? Point me to that episode and I will sit through it the next time Adult Swim has it on, watching it with as unbiased eyes as I can.
The episode entitled "Da Bomb" (the Y2K episode).

Voch

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2005, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
For the sake of argument, what constitutes a 100% brilliant episode of Family Guy? Point me to that episode and I will sit through it the next time Adult Swim has it on, watching it with as unbiased eyes as I can. I guarantee that the best episode of Family Guy looks like steaming excrement compared to the likes of The Simpsons Seasons 3-9, King of the Hill Seasons 1-7 or Futurama.
Determined to get the flame war going, aren't we?

I don't think FG has the same sense of humor as Simpsons, KoTH or Futurama so I don't see much point in comaring them. They all make me laugh for very different reasons.

If you don't find episodes of FG like the Y2K episode hilarious then there really isn't anything to talk about.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 02:22 PM

I thought it was quite humorous. It did a good (note I didn't say amazing) job at poking fun at both sides of American politics in a similar way that South Park is able to take aim at both those on the left and right. I can understand why people think the fish and alien need to go, but I thought the fish was one of the funniest characters of the show; though, that might be because I enjoy random humour that only such things as a fish with the brain of a German skiier can provide.

The show's got a lot of potential. Family Guy started to make changes in its third season such as Peter having to find a new job, and since everything is compared to the Simpsons, it wasn't until around seasons three and four when there started to be some more significant character developments (imho). Yeah, Futurama has the saving grace of having different voices than the ones done by the Simpsons, but I didn't mind similar voices to those found on Family Guy.
( Last edited by Jim Paradise; Feb 7, 2005 at 02:30 PM. )

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2005, 02:43 PM

It was just too similar to Family Guy for me.

Demonhood
Administrator
Feb 7, 2005, 02:47 PM

i laughed at the jack in the box character locked in the basement.
i think that was it.

Old Simpsons > Futurama > Sealab 2021 (with the captain) > Family Guy > New Simpsons

just to give you an idea of where i'm coming from.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2005, 03:06 PM

Apparently Fox really wants to capitalize on the popularity of Family Guy. Here's what I imagined happened:

FOX: Seth, we're sorry we cancelled Family Guy, it was a bad idea!
McFarlane (Family Guy and American Dad creator) : Oh, really? Well, I've got a lot more ideas, we could keep it going.
FOX: Great, GREAT! Let's do that... and, what the hell, the more the better. Could you make another show?
McFarlane: Well, I do have some other ideas I've been developing...
FOX: We want another Family Guy.
McFarlane: What?
FOX: Just do the same thing, you know, make with the "funny." You did it perfect with Family Guy, according to these sales receipts.
McFarlane: But, that was one concept... I have some more...
FOX: Family Guy. Make it like Family Guy.

And I'm sure over the next few months they kept making it closer and closer to Family Guy. Unless McFarlane can only create cartoons that are in this same vein.

I was highly disappointed, except for the fact that it got a little political. That was kind of nice.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2005, 03:08 PM

Don't judge the show by the pilot episode. The characters weren't truly fleshed out, and the true gist of the show hadn't begun to gel. The pilot was just the core idea that sold Fox on the show. Most pilots for any show aren't anything like what the show eventually becomes.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 03:10 PM

I'll grab it off BT later tonight.

I only started watching family guy and while it is fairly good I'm just not flipping over it.

lewd0006
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2005, 03:30 PM

I'm surprised Futurama lasted as long as it did. Certainly wasn't Simpsons though. As I recall, I didn't like the Family Guy pilot either, and I was first in line to get it on DVD. It's one of my favorite shows, and I hope they give Mcfarlane they creative freedom to make it different from FG.
Fight for Innovation.

cultofmac.blogspot.com

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2005, 04:15 PM

.torrent?
DBGFHRGL!

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
i laughed at the jack in the box character locked in the basement.
i think that was it.

Old Simpsons > Futurama > Sealab 2021 (with the captain) > Family Guy > New Simpsons

just to give you an idea of where i'm coming from.
lol sealab 2021 with captain murphy is literally some of the funniest stuff i've ever seen. i just bought season 2. futurama gets old to me but i still enjoy it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2005, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by Mafia:
lol sealab 2021 with captain murphy is literally some of the funniest stuff i've ever seen. i just bought season 2. futurama gets old to me but i still enjoy it.
It's a terrible shame that Harry Goz (Captain Murphy) passed away. While we're on the subject of Adult Swim, Venture Bros. is, IMO, the best thing Cartoon network has ever produced. If you haven't seen it you're really missing out.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2005, 01:55 PM

Sealab w/Murphy is friggin hilarious, especially the Howlin' Mad Murphy ep.

As for cartoon supremacy...

Simpsons (3-11) -> Aqua Teen -> Family Guy -> South Park -> Sealab 2021 -> Futurama

American Dad has little potential for me, it might end up being great but right now I would rather save my eyes for new Family Guy episodes, or the next Simpson's season on DVD (season 6 just might be the best season ever). Family Guy hasn't even hit its stride yet, only three seasons and already at the top of so many people's lists. I think American Dad will get sh!tcanned after this season (maybe earlier) and Family Guy will continue to get better... if they can come up with some material the Simpsons didn't do first.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2005, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by sek929:
As for cartoon supremacy...

Simpsons (3-9ish) -> Aqua Teen (1-3) -> Family Guy -> Futurama -> South Park -> Sealab 2021 -> Rest of the Simpsons -> Rest of ATHF
Fixed.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

nforcer
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 11:52 AM

I liked it. Hope they don't move it around every few weeks like they did with Family Guy. I gave up watching it (FG) because I did not know when it was on, and when I did it was at times I could not watch.
Genius. You know who.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2005, 04:05 PM

Ignignot: "You and your 3rd dimension"
Frylock: "What about it"
Ignignot: "Oh nothing.....it's cute. We have five....."
Err: "Thousand"
Inignaut: "Yes five thousand"

New fav cartoon. It's always the same with cartoons now a days. A new show comes up and everybody+their mothers loves it for about a year, till the next fad rolls around and only the true fans keep watching till it's cool to watch again and the posers+poser moms start bragging abot how they've been watching it since the begining. Happened with The Simpsons, South Park, King of the Hill, and now Family Guy. I just hate it when somebody whose only started watching the Simpsons for the past month or two comes up to me with last nights episode and tells me "My favorite espisode is when Homer falls off the cliff while trying to jump it with a skate board," ughhhhh. If only I could slap the sh!t out of some people without being prosecuted.
( Last edited by iREZ; Feb 9, 2005 at 04:14 PM. )
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2005, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
Ignignot: "You and your 3rd dimension"
Frylock: "What about it"
Ignignot: "Oh nothing.....it's cute. We have five....."
Err: "Thousand"
Inignaut: "Yes five thousand"

New fav cartoon. It's always the same with cartoons now a days. A new show comes up and everybody+their mothers loves it for about a year, till the next fad rolls around and only the true fans keep watching till it's cool to watch again and the posers+poser moms start bragging abot how they've been watching it since the begining. Happened with The Simpsons, South Park, King of the Hill, and now Family Guy. I just hate it when somebody whose only started watching the Simpsons for the past month or two comes up to me with last nights episode and tells me "My favorite espisode is when Homer falls off the cliff while trying to jump it with a skate board," ughhhhh. If only I could slap the sh!t out of some people without being prosecuted.
mm i love those shows. been watching them since the begining imo.

Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2005, 02:53 AM

Just watched it, thought it was ok. I loved the goldfish.

Forum Links
Forum Rules