Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I want to start watching Star Trek....but....

I want to start watching Star Trek....but....
gumby5647
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2005, 05:34 PM

I want to watch it chronologically. Problem is...I don't know where to start. I know there are a couple movies out there and at least 4 TV shows...

Can someone give me a list of how the Movies/shows should be watched in what order?
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

greenamp
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2005, 05:37 PM

Start at the very 1st motion picture, and watch all the original movies. Then watch the entire season of Star Trek TNG.

Afterwards you can pretty much pick up with any of the other series ( DS9, Voyager, Enterprise ) and TNG movies you like.

gumby5647  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2005, 05:40 PM

I thought Enterprise was suppose to be the "start" of the TV show chronology?
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

greenamp
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2005, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by gumby5647
In theory it was but it was the last series to be made and was poorly executed for the most part. You really shouldn't start with Enterprise to get a good grasp of Trek.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2005, 05:44 PM

I think the most classy series is TNG.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2005, 05:49 PM

If he starts with The Motion Picture, he might not ever watch Star Trek again. I'd recommend watching the 2nd movie first, then every other movie. 2, 4, and 6. Then watch the TNG series. Then Deep Space 9. Then First Contact movie. Then Voyager.

That's what I'd suggest.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2005, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by gumby5647

Skip it, they do horrible things with the consistency of it all. Just watch Next Gen, DS9 and the movies.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2005, 09:27 PM

Here's my recommendation:

Skip TOS. (I just don't like it.) Know a couple of things:
Spock is Half-Human
Kirk got together with a lot of women including one named Carol, who had a son by him.
In the late 20th century a group of genetic superhumans tried to take over Earth, they were led by a guy name Kahn. In the 23rd century, Kahn tried to take over the Enterprise.

Now, go watch Star Trek 2, 3, 4, 6,
Then watch All of Star Trek the Next Generation.
Now watch Star Trek 8, and Go through Deep Space Nine
Watch Star Trek 9.

You can watch Voyager if you want, but you won't miss out on much. Enterprise is Startrek only in Name. Skip Star Trek 1, 5, 7, and 10. They suck.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 18, 2005, 09:29 PM

Funny how so many people want solid consistency from a TV show. It's all supposed to be for entertainment, not "enlightenment" or some other stuff, so they have creative people called "writers" invent stuff and they film it. Sometimes the invented stuff from this week conflicts with the invented stuff from last week. Just as long as those conflicts don't interfere with the main point of the story, who cares?

I started watching Star Trek in 1966, and I'll be one of the first to point out continuity and scripting errors as they come up. But again, who cares? They have all been, for the most part, at least somewhat amusing, and some have been outstanding-rent the Original Series episode called "City on the Edge of Forever," and see what I mean. (It includes the VERY FIRST time on prime time network TV any character cussed...)

I'd start with the Original Series episodes (73 of them), then go through the Original Series films (the first six of ten total films). Next watch The Next Generation (7 seasons), Deep Space 9 (7 seasons) and Voyager (7 seasons). At that point, if your brain hasn't turned into mashed lima beans from the sheer volume of new ideas and visual effects, watch Enterprise (4 seasons). I haven't found a single episode of any of the series that was too boring or too bad to watch-though there were a few real dogs in the third season of the Original Series.

I agree with olePigeon that the even numbered Original Series films were better (sometimes by far) than the odd numbered ones. But when Star Trek: The Motion Picture came out in 1979, we didn't care: Star Trek was back and ON THE BIG SCREEN! But then Nicholas Meyer spoiled us with Wrath of Kahn...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2005, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
In the late 20th century a group of genetic superhumans tried to take over Earth, they were led by a guy name Kahn. In the 23rd century, Kahn tried to take over the Enterprise.
Star Trek II, The Wrath of Kahn is the best Star Trek movie by far IMO.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 18, 2005, 11:15 PM

Just watch from the beginning. The original series from the 60s is by far the best anyway.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Skip it, they do horrible things with the consistency of it all. Just watch Next Gen, DS9 and the movies.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2005, 12:13 AM

Just like the others said; Deep Space Nine and The Next Generation are all you need to know. Voyager, the original series and Enterprise are OK. The movies mostly suck; especially #5 "The Final Frontier".... one of the worst movies ever made by anyone. I liked First Contact and Whale Trek (The Voyage Home) the best.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2005, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Funny how so many people want solid consistency from a TV show. It's all supposed to be for entertainment, not "enlightenment" or some other stuff, so they have creative people called "writers" invent stuff and they film it. Sometimes the invented stuff from this week conflicts with the invented stuff from last week. Just as long as those conflicts don't interfere with the main point of the story, who cares?

I started watching Star Trek in 1966, and I'll be one of the first to point out continuity and scripting errors as they come up. But again, who cares? They have all been, for the most part, at least somewhat amusing, and some have been outstanding-rent the Original Series episode called "City on the Edge of Forever," and see what I mean. (It includes the VERY FIRST time on prime time network TV any character cussed...)

I'd start with the Original Series episodes (73 of them), then go through the Original Series films (the first six of ten total films). Next watch The Next Generation (7 seasons), Deep Space 9 (7 seasons) and Voyager (7 seasons). At that point, if your brain hasn't turned into mashed lima beans from the sheer volume of new ideas and visual effects, watch Enterprise (4 seasons).
Agree entirely.

Originally Posted by ghporter
I haven't found a single episode of any of the series that was too boring or too bad to watch-though there were a few real dogs in the third season of the Original Series.
I dunno about that. "Kes" and "Chakotay is spiritual" Voyager eps and TNG "Alexander" eps are pretty painful.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2005, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
You can watch Voyager if you want, but you won't miss out on much. Enterprise is Startrek only in Name. Skip Star Trek 1, 5, 7, and 10. They suck.
I beg to differ. I thought 7 (Star Trek: First Contact) was very good. It's the best of the TNG movies.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 19, 2005, 01:55 AM

7 is Generations. First Contact is 8.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2005, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
7 is Generations. First Contact is 8.
Oh, that's right. Hehe. Shows how crappy it was, I completely forgot it existed.

meelk
Baninated
Nov 19, 2005, 03:03 AM

DO NOT skip voyager, it is the purest essence of trek, and easily the best series, with the most likeable characters.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2005, 03:03 AM

The original show was good... but TNG is what hooked me all over again.

Everything else has been OK-ish... DS-9 had a 5-15 great shows... Voyager had some interesting phases... that being said... Enterprise was the worst. Every single one of the writers should have been dragged into the streets and shot.

COOL NOTE: BEFORE watching "The Wrath of Khan" My personal favorite Star Trek Movie... rent Space Seed from the original series. http://www.ericweisstein.com/fun/sta...SpaceSeed.html

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2005, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
I beg to differ. I thought 7 (Star Trek: First Contact) was very good. It's the best of the TNG movies.
I totally agree... First Contact placed many things in perspective... solid acting with well developed characters...

Forum Links
Forum Rules