Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 start up problem

G4 start up problem
Chito
Senior User
Jul 21, 2001, 06:11 PM

I've got a Yikes G4 400, OS X, 768 mb of ram and I've developed a start up problem that seems to be getting worse. Occasionally when I start it up it will shut off right after the start up chime. Most of the time it starts perfectly the second time around.....today it took me 5 tries before I got going. I'm thinking battery is the obvious thing to try first but I suspect something far more serious.....any suggestions? Thanks....
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2001, 06:29 PM

Yes, unfortunately, I do.
Does this sound like it:
Only happens after full shut down (not restart)
Screen goes black, nothing has any effect
Sometimes restart button has no effect (try holding power button for 5 seconds to power down)

Try removing your SCSI card, if you have one. If it's the same problem I had, you'll need a new motherboard and/or power supply. I believe Apple is aware of this issue.
One work around is to simply never shut down. I leave mine on all the time anyway, which is why it took so long for me to discover the problem in the first place.
Good luck.
Cliff

Chito  (op)
Senior User
Jul 21, 2001, 07:50 PM

Cliff I'm not sure my problem is the same although I do have a scsi card....and I will try removing it. Mine chimes on start up and completely shuts off...the next time I hit the power button on the keyboard it usually starts right up...like I said until today. It started ...or tried to start....and completely shut off 4 times....5th time was a charm. It's like turning off the power everytime.....the computer shuts off.
I've never had my power button fail to respond.
Thanks
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2001, 09:03 PM

When mine would try starting up, it would completely die. The symptoms got progressively worse to the point that the small reset button would have no effect when it was locked. I had to hold the power button for 5 seconds, which would shut everything down.
I removed my SCSI card and all my RAM in different combinations. I disabled all extensions, reset PRAM and even had an Apple tech walk me through resetting firmware (very scarry).
Sometimes, like when the SCSI card was out, things seemed OK, but eventually the prob would return. So be thorough. If something fixes it, keep shutting down, waiting and retrying.
Does yours ever do this on a restart? As I remember mine was almost exclusively after a shut down.
Actually, here's a link to a MacFixIt thread I started on the subject where I describe the problem in more detail. I wish I could say it was chock full of helpfull suggestions, but it ain't.
Cliff

[ 07-21-2001: Message edited by: aaanorton ]
Try this: http://www.macfixitforums.com/php/sh...&Old=allposts% 20&%2]http://www.macfixitforums.com/php/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=Forum11&Number=73009&S earch=true&Forum=Forum11&Words=aaanorton&Match=Use rname&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts %20&%20Main=73009

[ 07-21-2001: Message edited by: aaanorton ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules