Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Stupid Appletalk question

Stupid Appletalk question
Nai no Kami
Senior User
Apr 30, 2001, 11:20 AM

The first thing to note: i think I am ignoring something, but I cannot figure out what.
Yesterday I tried to peer network (using a crossover cable) the iMac of my dad (OS 9.0.4 loaded) with my OS X iBook. Result: none. Before X, I could hook up both machines, start AppleTalk, file sharing and voil�. I have heard that now this thing is done over TCP/IP. I configured the iMac (OS 9.0.4) setting the TCP/IP parameters to Appletalk (MacIP Manually) and giving it the first IP address numbers that came through my mind. My iBook couldn't find that machine when I hitted Apple-K (Connect to server...). Doing the thing backwards, I tried to use mac IP to connect the iMac to the iBook. The latter showed up in the iMac's AppleShare on the Chooser, but after entering the user and password, the connection was 'unexpectedly broken'.
Does anybody had success in connecting two machines with a crossover cable one with Classic and the other with X?
Does somebody know what I am doing wrong? (even if the answer is "trying to connect those machines")
Thanks for your tips!.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Craig R. Arko
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2001, 06:12 PM

Don't use MacIP, set your TCP/IP to use Ethernet. I believe if you say configure using DHCP, the machines will auto-assign themselves an address if no DHCP server is available. That should do it. Note that this could mess up your ISP connection and you may need multiple network interface configurations to make this work.

AppleTalk doesn't much come into play here, which is a pity since with it we wouldn't have to jump through hoops...

Good luck!

Brass
Professional Poster
May 1, 2001, 12:30 AM

That's right... OS X does NOT use AppleTalk for file sharing AT ALL.. only for printing.

for filesharing it does it's AppleSHARE (ie, not AppleTALK) over TCP/IP.

So on the Mac OS 9 system, you need to make sure that it's AppleSharing over TCP/IP, (not over AppleTalk).

Nai no Kami  (op)
Senior User
May 1, 2001, 01:13 AM

Thanks everyone. It's 2:30 am when I am reading this, so I will try tomorrow.
Good night.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Forum Links
Forum Rules