Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How can I shortcircuit my iPhone? (I'm serious.)

How can I shortcircuit my iPhone? (I'm serious.) (Page 2)
Thread Tools
Atheist
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Back in the Good Ole US of A
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 7, 2008, 09:42 PM
 
I dropped my new 17" PB at the airport (while it was inside a protective bag). 3 months later the hard drive died. I'm very much inclined to believe that it was related to drop at the airport....thus I'm to blame. Using the OP's logic, if I had happened to let someone else use the computer before the hard drive failed, I could have blamed them and made them pay for the new drive. Damn... I should loan out my stuff more often.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 7, 2008, 10:45 PM
 
Even if your friend did "something" bad to the phone, it should be under warranty, right? Take it to an Apple Store, tell 'em that it rather suddenly stopped holding a charge for more than an hour or so, and that you'd like it looked at. How hard is that? I don't see a need to make it a brick to get them to honor the warranty and check it out.

Now if your friend DID bugger up your iPhone, the Apple Store diagnostics will help determine what it was he did. Armed with that, you can demonstrate that he has a responsibility to make things right for you.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 7, 2008, 11:06 PM
 
Too late for that - he already microwaved the damn thing.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
Visnaut
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 7, 2008, 11:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by daSilVetZ View Post
if you don't have anything to say in regards to my post, then why bother posting at all? Just keep your thoughts to yourself.. If I wanted to ask an opinion I would have titled my post "How can I shortcircuit my iPhone, and please make wild assumptions while you're at it".
Tough sh*t. This is an internet forum. If you're free to post a question that sounds suspicious, we're free to make assumptions about the nature of your intentions, regardless of how you phrase it.

Also, by not providing the explanation upfront, you knew that what you were planning was something that many people consider unethical, yet that didn't stop you from thinking you were justified.


Originally Posted by daSilVetZ View Post
I would've brought it to the Apple store if it weren't for the fact that I dropped my iPhone a few months back and there's a nasty dent in the back- I was afraid that they would turn me away blaming it on the fall. So instead I decided to microwave the iPhone for 2 seconds
LMAO, that leap in logic is absolutely ludicrous. You didn't even try to return it to an Apple Store.

It's funny, you complain that we're quick to make assumptions, and even suggest we're not allowed to make them in your thread. Yet you readily made a series of increasingly twisted presumptions:
  1. That your friend ruined your phone. You have no proof of this. Coincidence is just as likely.
  2. That Apple would not take it back. You have no proof of this. You didn't even try.
  3. That you are justified in damaging your phone purposefully, in order to lie to your own friend.
  4. That convincing your friend to pay for a new phone by fabricating evidence is okay, because he's rich and you're not.

Originally Posted by daSilVetZ View Post
He still has my BROKEN iPhone.

I have a brand new one.

Apple WON twice.
You decided to defraud your own friend instead of screwing a large corporation. The latter, despite still being fraud by any measure, is way more palatable than the former. Honestly, if you can sleep easy at night, I don't want to know where you draw the line between right and wrong.

It's a good thing he kept the broken iPhone. At least he has evidence. Something you never had. I really wish we could track him down and show him this thread. If you were truly justified in your actions, that wouldn't be a problem, would it?


Originally Posted by iamnotmad View Post
Everyone get the frick off of your high horses. I'm sure none of you have never ever done anything even slightly morally questionable. Right? oy.
No, actually, I've never engaged in activity which would land me in court, no matter how justified I may think I am, unlike the OP.
( Last edited by Visnaut; Mar 7, 2008 at 11:24 PM. )
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 7, 2008, 11:19 PM
 
Well, I'm not telling him how to shortcircuit the microwave that he just half broke.
     
gradient
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 7, 2008, 11:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Anyway, even if the battery problem was your friend's fault, for which you don't have any evidence, hosing the entire iPod and making your friend pay for a completely new one was completely unnecessary, since you could have just had the battery replaced for $80 from Apple or $45 from a third party, even overlooking the fact that Apple might have just honored the warranty and replaced it for free anyway. Making your friend pay over $300 more than he needed to definitely doesn't help your case.
QFT.
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 8, 2008, 05:04 AM
 
Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
It's funny, you complain that we're quick to make assumptions, and even suggest we're not allowed to make them in your thread. Yet you readily made a series of increasingly twisted presumptions:
  1. That your friend ruined your phone. You have no proof of this. Coincidence is just as likely.
  2. That Apple would not take it back. You have no proof of this. You didn't even try.
  3. That you are justified in damaging your phone purposefully, in order to lie to your own friend.
  4. That convincing your friend to pay for a new phone by fabricating evidence is okay, because he's rich and you're not.
5. That the drop that caused the dent can't be the cause of this problem, despite the fact that the damage is apparently bad enough to assume that the warranty is void. Why does physical damage void the warranty in the first place, again?
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 8, 2008, 05:08 AM
 
Originally Posted by lisa_is_not_mac View Post
I had an ipod nano that i had in a case 20 hours a day, 7 days a week, and suddenly i had only 45ish minuets of battery power, i know its not an iphone, but still.
The question was what you did that suddenly caused this problem to show up.

If your answer is "nothing", then "nothing" is a plausible explanation for what the friend did to this iPhone - meaning he has no responsibility to pay for a new one. (Especially after the OP purposely fried it to con him into buying a new one.)
     
tridentinecanon
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: BIrmingham, AL
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 8, 2008, 01:47 PM
 
Originally Posted by daSilVetZ View Post
WHY should i "walk" away and lose $500, when I was doing the guy a favor to begin with?

I convinced the person, by ruining the phone more than he had already, that he should replace it for me, since the fact that the battery had dropped to an hour did not suffice in his mind.

I have a new phone-

Maybe next time he won't lie.
You claim he lied, yet your solution to your problem involved lying to him. This is immoral and sinful.

By the way, I don't even believe this bogus story. I mean, at first he was unwilling to admit that it was broken, but then changed his mind after you broke it some more and blamed him again?
     
DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Oct 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 8, 2008, 04:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by daSilVetZ View Post
I need my iPhone to never turn on again, without opening it up though... any ideas?
I don't want it to look damaged though... (so no i can't smash it with a hammer)

Please don't ask why


There's consciousness of guilt in bold print in his original post.

Then, he microwaved his iPhone and lied to someone to have it replaced.

The thread will be over when he admits his mistakes.
     
The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: S.P.Q.R.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2008, 12:38 PM
 
There is a jury charge called "Falsus in Uno" [Falsus in Omnibus]. I think it's applicable here too. My take is that he dropped it and just wanted to replace it with a shiny new one. So, he nuked it and returned it to Apple. There is no imaginary "friend" that he lent it to. Isn't it kind of interesting that there was no inquiry about what might mysteriously be causing the battery to die - and how he could trouble-shoot that?

WHY NOT JUST TRY GETTING THE BATTERY REPLACED? Was it quicker to accuse your friend of destroying it, post a thread about how to really destroy it, destroy it, confront your imaginary friend again, debate him again, go to the apple store, and cajole/guilt him into buying you a new one? I think not.

meh, maybe he's lying about all of it anyway - even the nuking part. wouldn't that make the screen bubble?
     
swiz
GUI Punk
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: S.E. Mitten
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2008, 07:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by daSilVetZ View Post
Cold Warrior, I honestly do not know how to explain this to you in a way that you might understand.

I had a perfectly fine iPhone.....
Aside from the the drop you mentioned earlier...[/beats dead horse]

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g
     
StrongBad
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2008, 09:55 AM
 
daSilVetZ is the man, he needs some support.

the ends justify the means people, I've got no beef with what was done.

The internet makes a poor stage on which to discuss moral behavior.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2008, 10:10 AM
 
Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
daSilVetZ is the man, he needs some support.

the ends justify the means people, I've got no beef with what was done.

The internet makes a poor stage on which to discuss moral behavior.
I hate to cite Godwins' law here, but it applies. Other people have claimed that their ends justified their means, and look at what that got us all. Unethically and fraudulently claiming a device "just failed" because one wants it replaced for free is WRONG. We're not talking about "copying files", and we're not talking about using shareware without paying the author, we're talking about LEGAL fraud.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2008, 01:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I hate to cite Godwins' law here, but it applies.
Did I miss the comparison to Hitler or Nazis??

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2008, 03:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Did I miss the comparison to Hitler or Nazis??
Ends, means, that whole thing.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
Visnaut
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2008, 04:09 PM
 
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Did I miss the comparison to Hitler or Nazis??
Don't forget the fascists, too. We already have a thread about iPod fascism today.
     
seivad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: May 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2008, 05:32 PM
 
with the new SDK and the already available diagnostic tools back at apple, wouldn't they be able to log a time at when the phone started to receive errors?

i think its a bit rough for his "well-off" friend, because what i think well off is, could be poor to someone else.

i think the easiest option here would of been to restore the iphone in iTunes first, then test. did anyone mention doing that at all?
Atleast then you know its not a software fault, because things just dont break...and if they do, it'll be within the first 2 weeks of purchasing (give or take).

microwave is a good idea, fry the chips... pretty seamless...maybe next time keep you **** to your self and only lend out your older stuff...common sense, which this thread is missing quite a lot of.
     
drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Sep 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2008, 07:10 PM
 
Who does that? Trade phones with friends? Is that common? Wouldn't it drive you nuts answering somebody elses calls and not getting yours FOR A WEEKEND? Not to mention the fact that it's a pricey phone. Weird story.
DRM

---------------------------------
Gigabit Ethernet G4 OWC mercury upgrade 1.33
15" Powerbook G4 1.5GB/80GB/SuperDrive
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2008, 08:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by drmcnutt View Post
Who does that? Trade phones with friends? Is that common? Wouldn't it drive you nuts answering somebody elses calls and not getting yours FOR A WEEKEND? Not to mention the fact that it's a pricey phone. Weird story.
SIM cards are what tells the cell network which phone is yours, so swapping phones is as simple as swapping the SIM cards.

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Sep 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 11, 2008, 10:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
SIM cards are what tells the cell network which phone is yours, so swapping phones is as simple as swapping the SIM cards.
I assumed the iPhone sim card was different than other phones. Still is this common? Personally I wouldn't loan my phone to anybody, especially a $400 one (or $600 depending on when you bought it).
DRM

---------------------------------
Gigabit Ethernet G4 OWC mercury upgrade 1.33
15" Powerbook G4 1.5GB/80GB/SuperDrive
     
Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Why do you care?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2008, 01:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by StrongBad View Post
daSilVetZ is the man, he needs some support.

the ends justify the means people, I've got no beef with what was done.

The internet makes a poor stage on which to discuss moral behavior.
Then you are just as bad and ethically corrupt as he is.
     
ibugv4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2008, 01:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Then you are just as bad and ethically corrupt as he is.
Then count me on his bandwagon. I've been screwed like this many times (presently fighting my insurance company over repairing damages due to a water leak; they claim I don't own my own floors.... yeah.) and you have to stick it to people when the time comes. I loaned my vehicle to my father for the weekend, the next wednesday the clutch went out. I didn't replace it, dad did -- the car had 20,000 and I know how to drive a stick. I've never owned an automatic, and I've got well over 370,000 driven miles. My dad said it wasn't his problem, so I took his truck. A week later, he called and said I could come get my car. Sometimes you gotta play hardball. I work hard for my stuff, I don't appreciate others and their fuzzy logic ruining what I sweat for.
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2008, 03:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by ibugv4 View Post
I loaned my vehicle to my father for the weekend, the next wednesday the clutch went out. I didn't replace it, dad did -- the car had 20,000 and I know how to drive a stick. I've never owned an automatic, and I've got well over 370,000 driven miles. My dad said it wasn't his problem, so I took his truck. A week later, he called and said I could come get my car. Sometimes you gotta play hardball. I work hard for my stuff, I don't appreciate others and their fuzzy logic ruining what I sweat for.
There's a difference between "hardball" and "fraud".

You might want to look it up before people who are in a legal position to "stick it to you" do it.
     
ghporter
Administrator
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Antonio TX USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2008, 04:36 PM
 
Screwing other people (or businesses) over is not "playing hardball", just as analogika says. It is meanness when you do it to a person and fraud when you do it to a business.

Being insistent on getting what you contracted for is NOT fraud-insurance companies are in the business of NOT paying what they can get out of, but if you're familiar with your contract (your policy) and have a brain you can force them to recognize that they do have a responsibility to pay off when you have a valid claim. That's called business. It's also some of us having to work harder at getting what's ours because so many idiots rolled over when their insurers said "no."

"Taking" your father's truck could be construed as theft, by the way-if he'd chosen to "play hardball" with you, you'd be explaining things to a judge.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx
     
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Rockies
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2008, 04:51 PM
 
I think this thread is just gettin' started.
     
dpicardi
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2008, 05:48 PM
 
Originally Posted by daSilVetZ View Post
Cold Warrior, I honestly do not know how to explain this to you in a way that you might understand.

I had a perfectly fine iPhone.

This person ruined it.

They would not admit to it.

WHY should i "walk" away and lose $500, when I was doing the guy a favor to begin with?

I convinced the person, by ruining the phone more than he had already, that he should replace it for me, since the fact that the battery had dropped to an hour did not suffice in his mind.

I have a new phone-

Maybe next time he won't lie.

I'm sorry we do not see things in the same light- I'm sorry I don't have $500 laying around to spend for no reason- I'm sorry that you judge me, I like to give people a chance but I guess you don't believe in chances.

it is mind-boggling to me that you guys are literally making it out to seem that I am the bad guy here for having this person buy me a new phone that he ruined and wouldnt admit to. I woudl expect a little more respect but obviously it's always good to bash on the OP here @ MacNN.
You have absolutely no proof that this person broke your phone. ZERO! It could be complete coincidence that your phone crapped out 6 months after you dropped in on the ground.

You didn't see him break it or drop it or anything. It just wasn't working as well as when you had lent it.

It was a bummer, to get it back and it not work like you remember, but $hit happens. "Screws fall out." It was your iPhone's time. And now you brow beat someone into buying another phone.

If you don't have $500 lying around, you probably shouldn't lend easy to drop $500 objects to friends so they can flaunt it in front of their wife. For all you know SHE bricked it...it which case your friend was telling you the truth all along.
     
dpicardi
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2008, 07:09 PM
 
Originally Posted by ibugv4 View Post
My dad said it wasn't his problem, so I took his truck. A week later, he called and said I could come get my car. Sometimes you gotta play hardball. I work hard for my stuff, I don't appreciate others and their fuzzy logic ruining what I sweat for.
Can you just feel the family love?
     
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2008, 07:29 PM
 
Yeah - great. BTW, it's not uncommon on stick shifts for a new driver to that car to introduce a new wear pattern that brings on a failure that was in the works. It's extremely unlikely your father ****ed the car.
     
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: planning a comeback !
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2008, 07:40 PM
 
This thread is comedy gold.

Thanks y'all for contributing

-t
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2008, 07:47 PM
 
I think the lesson learned from this thread is:

Never borrow anything mechanical or electronic from a friend, no matter how cool it is, because there's a chance he or she is just looking for someone on whom to blame its impending failure.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2008, 08:45 PM
 
The moral of the story is:
Never ever feed hungry llamas while texting at a stoplight.
     
AppleJockey
Forum Regular
Join Date: Nov 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2008, 08:53 PM
 
the self righteous nitpicking cynisicm on this board is simply amazing

boredom is a hell of a thing
     
zerostar
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2008, 09:01 PM
 
Wow your own "friend" remind me not to be yours!

p.s. Apple would have probably replace your battery, mine was doing the same thing a few months ago and they swapped it no questions asked.
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2008, 09:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
p.s. Apple would have probably replace your battery, mine was doing the same thing a few months ago and they swapped it no questions asked.
Yes, but then he'd still have that unsightly ding in the casing, which we all know is what this was really about.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
bjojade
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 12, 2008, 10:32 PM
 
If he traded phones with a friend for the weekend, either they were taking each other's calls, or they swapped SIM cards.

Problem is, the only way for a NON-iPhone SIM card to work in an iPhone is if the phone has been hacked. While this hacking isn't illegal, it certainly does void the warranty. Now, it has been reported that some of these hacks can definitely result in reduced battery performance. Maybe that's all that happened.

Now, if the friend hacked the phone, then it's his responsibility. However, if OP hacked his phone earlier, then it's his own responsibility for the problems that happened to the phone.

As far as I know, all iPhones are still under warranty. If yours wasn't working properly and you didn't do anything to void the warranty, it should be covered. Hacking it or microwaving it are NOT legit reasons to get warranty coverage.
     
miosx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Mar 2008
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 13, 2008, 09:02 AM
 
I Like Ice-cream!!!
     
dpicardi
Forum Regular
Join Date: Sep 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 13, 2008, 01:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by bjojade View Post
If he traded phones with a friend for the weekend, either they were taking each other's calls, or they swapped SIM cards.
Not necessarily. If you forwarded your phones to each others units it would be like you were using your own phone when taking calls.

I actually did this with a work colleague when I was having trouble getting cell reception at my home. They had a different carrier and swore the reception would be better. Before I switched carriers I asked to swap phones for the night. We auto-forwarded calls and it worked like a charm. And, he was right. I switched carriers that week. (And I got him to buy me the new phone too! <--- just kidding of course.

Dave
     
webb3201
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Dallas, Texas
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 18, 2008, 01:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by daSilVetZ View Post
Cold Warrior, I honestly do not know how to explain this to you in a way that you might understand.

I had a perfectly fine iPhone.

This person ruined it.

They would not admit to it.

WHY should i "walk" away and lose $500, when I was doing the guy a favor to begin with?

I convinced the person, by ruining the phone more than he had already, that he should replace it for me, since the fact that the battery had dropped to an hour did not suffice in his mind.

I have a new phone-

Maybe next time he won't lie.

I'm sorry we do not see things in the same light- I'm sorry I don't have $500 laying around to spend for no reason- I'm sorry that you judge me, I like to give people a chance but I guess you don't believe in chances.

it is mind-boggling to me that you guys are literally making it out to seem that I am the bad guy here for having this person buy me a new phone that he ruined and wouldnt admit to. I woudl expect a little more respect but obviously it's always good to bash on the OP here @ MacNN.

But you just mentioned you had previously dropped you iphone hard enought to dent the casing. Is it impossible to think that the drop and dent could have caused the issue? Could simply be a coincidence that it grew noticeable worse while he used the phone.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.
     
Tomchu
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2005
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 18, 2008, 01:14 PM
 
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still going on. Some of you really need to lay off it. The morality of what was done might be in question, but seriously -- I don't see how dropping an iPhone will shorten its battery life.

If it were a case of multiple cells in a battery pack, perhaps a few would be disconnected from the parallel circuit -- but the iPhone uses a Li Polymer, which are basically moulded to whatever shape they need them to be.

The battery isn't even close to the corners of the casing.
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 18, 2008, 01:18 PM
 
Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still going on. Some of you really need to lay off it. The morality of what was done might be in question, but seriously -- I don't see how dropping an iPhone will shorten its battery life.

If it were a case of multiple cells in a battery pack, perhaps a few would be disconnected from the parallel circuit -- but the iPhone uses a Li Polymer, which are basically moulded to whatever shape they need them to be.

The battery isn't even close to the corners of the casing.
Which is neither here nor there in this entire situation. The OP blames his "friend" with no proof or knowledge of what was actually done with the phone. It could have been coincidence, it could have been the OP's fault - no one really knows. And then, instead of trying to get it repaired UNDER WARRANTY FOR FREE he decides to scam his friend into buying him a new phone.

There is no scenario in this entire thread where the OP comes out as being correct. At worst he is guilty of fraud (and is generally a bad friend).

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,