Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Android 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

Android 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich
freudling
Banned
Oct 18, 2011, 11:50 PM

Hideous. I was hopeful of Android, not now.

Why is Google so horrible at design? Oh ya, they're geeks. Terrible colour matching. Ugly lines and graphic placement. No texture. Jesus. iOS 5 has nothing to worry about here.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2011, 04:32 AM

Notice how none of the audience applauded without some help

Nice to see no battery specs for the new handset - perhaps it struggles to get past 3 hours of use?

Roboto - WTF!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2011, 12:51 PM

I disagree and I think Matias Duarte gets it:

“Across the board Google and Android is taking design a lot more seriously,” Matias says, and points out that Roboto is used throughout the system. “There’s this thing that’s happening right now in user interface design that I find kind of shackling. The faux wood paneling trend, and the airport lavatory signage trend.” He laughs when he says this and pulls up a slide on his computer, a split screen of an Atari 2600 and… airport lavatory signage. It’s an obvious dig at both Apple and Microsoft.

“The biggest problem behind these trends is not anything about the aesthetic quality about them, but rather the framework that they impose on everything else,” he opines. “Right now if you look at all of these applications that are designed in this real-objecty, faux wood paneling, faux brushed metal, faux jelly button kind of thing… if you step back and you really look at them, they look kind of juvenile. They’re not photorealistic, they’re illustrations.”

(emphasis mine)

The wood grain, brushed metal, faux leather look ridiculous.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Oct 20, 2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I disagree and I think Matias Duarte gets it:

“Across the board Google and Android is taking design a lot more seriously,” Matias says, and points out that Roboto is used throughout the system. “There’s this thing that’s happening right now in user interface design that I find kind of shackling. The faux wood paneling trend, and the airport lavatory signage trend.” He laughs when he says this and pulls up a slide on his computer, a split screen of an Atari 2600 and… airport lavatory signage. It’s an obvious dig at both Apple and Microsoft.

“The biggest problem behind these trends is not anything about the aesthetic quality about them, but rather the framework that they impose on everything else,” he opines. “Right now if you look at all of these applications that are designed in this real-objecty, faux wood paneling, faux brushed metal, faux jelly button kind of thing… if you step back and you really look at them, they look kind of juvenile. They’re not photorealistic, they’re illustrations.”

(emphasis mine)

The wood grain, brushed metal, faux leather look ridiculous.
Are you serious? It's great for him to say all this, yet, Google's design sucks. Funny, the pretenders who have the biggest mouths are the ones who have something to prove. Meanwhile, the contenders like Apple keep marching forward...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2011, 05:38 PM

Where by "pretenders" you mean "the largest smartphone OS vendor in the world".

You think Apple's usage of wood grain/etc is competitive design?

freudling  (op)
Banned
Oct 20, 2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Where by "pretenders" you mean "the largest smartphone OS vendor in the world".

You think Apple's usage of wood grain/etc is competitive design?
You have to be kidding me. You actually think Google has good design? BS you do. This is just trollish. If you really did think that, I doubt you'd be hanging around on MacNN...

freudling  (op)
Banned
Oct 20, 2011, 08:01 PM

One of many examples.

Gmail vs. Me Mail...

Gmail:

Me Mail:

Forum Links
Forum Rules