Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone buy a new 15 in the last 48 hours?

Anyone buy a new 15 in the last 48 hours?
Lorinserbenz
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2003, 08:12 PM

Has anyone bought a new 15 inch Powerbook from an Apple store in the last 48 hours. If so, did it come with Panther installed? Does the screen feel heavier? I am comtemplating buying again....

justinf77
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2003, 08:18 PM

I am also curious about this. I bought mine two days ago from apple.com with my ADC discount, and I expect it in less than 3 weeks.

I think the display issues have been fixed, as many have been coming back with stronger screen and no white spots.

Hopefully, we will get defect-free computers. Other than the quality control issues, the 15" PowerBook looks really amazing.

jango
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2003, 09:29 PM

Got mine last Monday and it came with panther installed. It's in perfect working order with no dead pixels or white spots.

The screen is also very sturdy and seems heavier than my old 17. It really is perfect.

Lorinserbenz  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2003, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by jango:
Got mine last Monday and it came with panther installed. It's in perfect working order with no dead pixels or white spots.

The screen is also very sturdy and seems heavier than my old 17. It really is perfect.
Is there any pooling when you press on the back of the screen?

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2003, 01:12 AM

I'm using a PBG4 15" Al with the replacement screen (should be the same one in any units produced in the past week), though not necessarily all new models... Take for example a place that is sitting on old inventory.

Are you sure there's a correlation between the heavyness of the screen and whether it's more durable / sharper / brighter / (insert variable here).

I'd assume that the two were within reasonably the same weight.

I notice pooling in one spot on the replacement screen. However I'm not sure if pooling when you push on the back of the screen means that you're going to get white spots. I mean, it's not like there is something inside pushing against it that is permanently damaging the LCD (at least I hope not).
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2003, 01:21 AM

I bought one about 48 hours ago at the San Jose Apple Store. It did come with Panther, installed and on CD. However, I wanted to re-partition my 80 gig internal drive, so I did a re-install...to discover that the Panther CDs are upgrade CDs, and I had to do a software restore with the included CD, put on Jaguar, and then re-install Jaguar. Fun!

jango
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2003, 09:47 AM

No, i get no pooling on the back of my screen. Haven't tried pushing really hard, but its really solid.

I would make sure if you get one that panther is installed and ask the apple store when they got theirs in.

Saleo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2003, 12:30 AM

Recieved mine last week.
Panther was installed, (even though when I ordered they said it wouldln't so I spent 29.99CAN to buy the upgrade) screen, latch works great. Battery life is actually not that bad.

I'm giving it a month before I declare it to be totally fault free though. But so far so good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules