Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Networking old mac to new mac

Networking old mac to new mac
jay3ld
Senior User
Oct 12, 2004, 09:13 PM

I am networking a mac os 8.1 and a mac os x 10.3

Im doing it through a modem for now until i can get a ethernet port bought. What do i need on both computers? what do i need enabled. and how do i get them running together?

The connection is though the 56k modem.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2004, 06:16 AM

Why don't you start with telling us what models and configurations you are talking about.

And how exactly are you doing this through a modem? I have seen Macs networked TOGETHER through localtalk, serial ports, ethernet, firewire, wireless cards, even IR. But not once have I seen a home network that dialed into 3rd party in order to connect together. Somehow I think you are doing something that won't work or could done more efficiently through far simpler means.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

jay3ld  (op)
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 07:05 PM

ok me got a really old power macintosh 7100/66. gots gots te memory that came with the 7100s at that time. i think its like 700 mb or 900 not sure really. And then i got me a nice but old g4. with 60 gb. The g4 has a built in modem and the 7100 has one i connected. i connected both modems. now im trying to get them to work. i want it so i can be able to do stuff with it. like simple file transfer and deleting. like having a 2 hard drive hooked up almost (my next thing after i network is that).

My macs over view

7100 (this is all the info i could find)

Hard drive size 700 mbs
Ram: 24 (really old)
No ethernet port

g4

Hard drive size 60 gbs
Ram: 256
1 ethernet port

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 06:19 AM

The 7100 does have an ethernet port.... in a manner of speaking.
It has an AAUI port which is an ethernet port but you need a connector that looks like this:

The transceiver should be under five dollars on eBay or post in the Marketplace forum and I am sure someone has one sitting around. Otherwise, there is no easy way to connect the two together. A modem port will not work, the 7100 does not have firewire, and the G4 does not have a serial port.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

jay3ld  (op)
Senior User
Oct 14, 2004, 07:40 PM

uh but the problem is my only ethernet port on my g4 is being used. so would i have to "y" it or get a second ethernet card

Krusty
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2004, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by jay3ld:
uh but the problem is my only ethernet port on my g4 is being used. so would i have to "y" it or get a second ethernet card
Didn't I suggest the same device to you that Capt. O did (in a different thread ... or was that someone else ?)

Anyway, the "problem" isn't that you need a second ethernet card for the G4 ... sounds like you need some sort of hub/switch to plug the G4 into that it can maintain more than one connection at a time. A hub/switch is the same idea as "y"-ing it. You do understand that the device Capn' O is showing you is for the 7100 -- NOT for the G4, right ??

Forum Links
Forum Rules