Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > File Sharing between Mac (OS X 10.3) and PC (Win 2000)

File Sharing between Mac (OS X 10.3) and PC (Win 2000)
MStewBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2004, 08:59 PM

I am at a complete loss, so any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to setup file sharing between my G4 running OS X (10.3.6) and my PC running Windows 2000 Pro. I have turned off the Firewall (just so as to rule that out) and I turned on the following services on my Mac:

*Personal File Sharing
*Windows Sharing

The PC is easily able to connect to the Mac and I've already mapped a path on my PC. The Mac, however, cannot successfully access the PC! Role reversal?? I do the following:

GO>CONNECT TO SERVER and then enter the IP of the PC in the following format: smb://xxx.xxx.x.xxx/computername. I am then prompted with a windows to enter my username and password. After I enter the username and password I get an error that says: "The operation cannot be completed because one or more required items cannot be found. (Error code -43)"

As I said, I can access the Mac from the PC side and I have also pinged the PC from the mac, so it's not a connectivity issue. I think I have exhausted all possibilities at this point and am now resorting to the forum for any insight or anything that I might have missed. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx.

Ron

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2004, 03:30 PM

There are a few things to look for:

Is there a firewall running on the XP box? That would block incoming connections but not necessarily outgoing ones. You have to be explicit about incoming holes.

Is file sharing turned on on the Windows box....

smb://xxx.xxx.x.xxx/computername should be smb://xxx.xxx.x.xxx/sharename
you can also just go to smb://xxx.xxx.x.xxx/ to get a listing.

SMB is a nasty protocol, so there are lots of things that can go wrong.

MStewBoy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2004, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by larkost:
There are a few things to look for:

Is there a firewall running on the XP box? That would block incoming connections but not necessarily outgoing ones. You have to be explicit about incoming holes.

Is file sharing turned on on the Windows box....

smb://xxx.xxx.x.xxx/computername should be smb://xxx.xxx.x.xxx/sharename
you can also just go to smb://xxx.xxx.x.xxx/ to get a listing.

SMB is a nasty protocol, so there are lots of things that can go wrong.
larkost, thanx a lot! I knew that somehow the solution was going to be something so incredibly simple and when I found it, I would kick myself. The kicking has begun. Just so that you know, I tried tweaking the Win 2k firewall before turning to the forum for help. That of course didn't help. Thanx to you, I discovered the problem was with my smb path. I was trying to enter through the computer name (smb://xxx.xxx.x.xxx/computername) instead of the share name (smb://xxx.xxx.x.xxx/sharename). After reading your post I felt like a retard! Don't know why my brain didn't turn on. Anyhow, thanx again for your help!

Ron

Forum Links
Forum Rules