Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Is Airport Express True Optical connection or Digital - Analog - Digital?

Is Airport Express True Optical connection or Digital - Analog - Digital?
Mac Write
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 04:23 AM

When I do my next Mac upgrade (G5 DP system 2006/7), I will upgrade my Mini Stereo (piece of garbage AWIA) and get a receiver and speakers. Instead of going Optical out from G5 to stereo and have all sounds go to my stereo (well I might do that as well), I am thinking Airport Express.

My question, is the 1/8-Optical convert to Analog then go Digital? or is the 1/8 adapter have a whole for the optical light go go right through, maintaining a full digital connection and therefore the best possible music quality (I use Apple Lossless exclusively)?

Thanks all
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2005, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Mac Write:
My question, is the 1/8-Optical convert to Analog then go Digital?
This would be unnecessarily expensive, as well as rather silly, so I'd think the signal *stays* digital.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2005, 07:56 PM

I'm fairly certain it stays ditigal (for the reason above). I've definitely owned devices that had both an analogue plug port w/ an optical port inside of it. They do make them...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Forum Links
Forum Rules