Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Software Update crashed, now kernel panic

Software Update crashed, now kernel panic
traveller47
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2006, 11:45 AM

My computer (a G4 powerbook, now almost 4 years old) reminded me a few nights ago that I needed to update teh software, so I did. It installed the first 3 just fine, but got stuck with about 5% left on the 10.4.6 update. It stayed stuck, with the hard drive spinning, for close to 24 hours in an upstairs room that gets hot in the afternoon, esp. with the weather we've had.
So, I rebooted, and got my first kernel panic. I rebooted a few times, unsure as to what the heck that message was doing on my screen. Nothing.

The next day, after google and apple forums, I tried doing an fsck, and it told me that the macHD volume was ok, but that the com.apple.drive.KeyLargoATA extension had no kernel dependency.

I couldn't start it in safe mode (got stuck on the grey apple and spinning thing), and only have some of my stuff backed up. Dad's sending me the Tiger disc along with techtools, should get it today.

When i get home tonight, what do i do? I really would rather not lose almost everything I have on it, and am willing to do just about anything to prevent that. I have a USB drive that has some of my stuff on it already, but never got around to completing the backup. SOmeone mentioned booting from a FW drive. Can I do it with the one I have, instead?

ANy help/suggestion/witchery is greatly appreciated.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2006, 02:39 PM

You could run the installer from the CD and do an 'Archive and Install'. It retains your user settings, apps etc. and puts the old system in a folder of it's own, should you want to go back. Annoyingly, you'll then need to use software update a lot, to bring the system up to date.

Forum Links
Forum Rules