Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > weird safari problem

weird safari problem
MacPC
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2007, 11:17 AM

Hi,

I use Safari 3 beta on my Mac. I have a strange problem. Don't ask me how, for some reason a weird url got on to the default home page of my safari. I tried to reset it to google as default home page as it was before but it won't let me. I cleaned everything, I even reset Safari, the strange url keeps coming back. I know there is a preferences folder in either System or System folder, I think I can throw it away and start all over again, but I forgot which it is. Can someone help?

Thanks.

M

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2007, 06:56 PM

I don't know if this is the same as your problem, but I always get this weird "layering" of urls in Safari 3 beta. For example, when this happens, I can open up a new tab (with a blank page) and this "ghost url" (usually from a page I visited earlier) will show up in the location field, highlighted in gray as if it were selected, but not in focus. I can't select of delete the url; it's as if it weren't really there. This "ghost url" will also show up with any page I visit, again highlighted in gray, and layered over the actual url for that page. Clicking in the url field will bring the actual url to the front, but it is unreadable because the two urls are overlapping one another. It's really weird, and very annoying.

I can sometimes fix it by quitting a re-launching Safari, or by dragging the url from the location field (via the favicon) a few times.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2007, 08:08 AM

I always get this weird "layering" of urls in Safari 3 beta. For example, when this happens, I can open up a new tab (with a blank page) and this "ghost url" (usually from a page I visited earlier) will show up in the location field, highlighted in gray as if it were selected, but not in focus. I can't select of delete the url; it's as if it weren't really there. This "ghost url" will also show up with any page I visit, again highlighted in gray, and layered over the actual url for that page. Clicking in the url field will bring the actual url to the front, but it is unreadable because the two urls are overlapping one another. It's really weird, and very annoying.
Same here - it is annoying, isn't it?

MacPC  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2007, 10:44 AM

I don't have this problem -- yet.

I suspect Apple is trying to match Microsoft in making junks!

M

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2007, 06:05 PM

I don't have this problem -- yet.
Are you using Safari 3 Beta?

Forum Links
Forum Rules