Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Boot Camp install problems on new iMac

Boot Camp install problems on new iMac
milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2008, 06:59 PM

Hi everyone!

I just received my new 20" iMac and I'm very pleased with it. However, when I try to use Boot Camp with my copy of XP, the install starts fine, but then I run into an issue. Whenever the install asks you to press Enter to continue the install, I can't. It seems as though my keyboard isn't being recognized by the install. Any suggestions?

ibook_steve
Jan 30, 2008, 07:40 PM

Which keyboard? It should be wired, not wireless. And are you using an XPSP2 disk?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

milenko11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2008, 08:02 PM

The alum keyboard that came with it. My XP disk isn't SP2.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 30, 2008, 09:03 PM

You have ONLY the keyboard and mouse installed, right? Nothing else at all, right? And the mouse plugged into the computer itself, right? XP's installer gets sort of goofy in dealing with USB devices, and sometimes even the hub in the keyboard can be a problem. Having the keyboard and mouse separately plugged into the computer is often helpful.

Now the bad news: IT'S GOT TO BE SP2 OR IT WILL NOT WORK. Even the drivers in the installer are different between pre-SP2 and SP2, and the EFI support for BIOS emulation is built around the SP2 driver model, so you MUST use an install disc that has SP2 integrated into it. The good news is that you can integrate SP2 yourself if you have access to a PC with a CD burner-see the thread on slipstreaming in the reference sub forum of this forum.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

milenko11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2008, 11:14 PM

Thank you. I'll try that tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have some good news.

milenko11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2008, 10:17 PM

Well I made the SP2 disk and the install started to work fine again, until I had to use my keyboard. My keyboard is still not being recognized. I unplugged every other device except for it this time.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 2, 2008, 10:40 PM

Got another keyboard?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 3, 2008, 05:14 PM

Doesn't the aluminium keyboard have issues with Boot Camp until an update is applied?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 3, 2008, 06:52 PM

That's possible. I had installed Boot Camp on my iMac under Tiger and later upgraded to Leopard, so I haven't had the "full Leopard/Boot Camp experience".

Forum Links
Forum Rules