Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Remote desktop over second NIC

Remote desktop over second NIC
BigWheel88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2010, 03:43 PM

This might be app specific so tell me if i need to post in that forum

This is basically the same issue I had with SSH in my other post but Using Remote desktop I need to do the same thing. Most of my internet usage is on en0 but I need to use en1 to connect to a remote computer not on the local networks because of port blocking on en0

Make it use the 2nd interface en1 rather than en0

I cant remove the gateway from en0 for this to work nor is switching the network order in preferences an option.

I know that remote desktop can look at bother interfaces because if i use the scanner on the local network it finds computers on both.

does anyone know of an third party Application maybe that I can set which programs use what interfaces

this is on laptop i use at multiple locations so would need something easy to change depending where I am ( though I suppose using location in net prefs would solve that)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2010, 03:55 PM

This may be where you have to change your default route or disable the other interface when you plan to use VNC, or perhaps look at a third party VNC solution that supports this feature (assuming that right now you are using Apple Remote Desktop).

BigWheel88  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2010, 11:10 PM

yeah im using apple remote desktop and have been disabling en0 (by pulling out the ethernet cable : ) when i need to connect but its rather annoying. The only app i have seen that has a network interface option is VMWare Fusion so its gotta be possible. gonna have to research some other vnc apps

Forum Links
Forum Rules