Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Bootcamp with 3gb switch

Bootcamp with 3gb switch
cinematree
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2009, 11:18 AM

Is there anyone who has actually gotten bootcamp to work with the 3gb switch for xp32?

I'd like to switch to vista64 but not all my music hardware is supported for it, so I'm trying to find the best way to maximize ram with xp32.

Cold Warrior
Mar 20, 2009, 12:57 PM

Are you talking about 3 GB computer memory (RAM)?

cinematree  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2009, 12:59 PM

Yes, I would like to use more of the 6 gigs of RAM I have in my mac. Cirrently there is only 1.98gb available for use with xp32 and bootcamp. There's something called a 3gb switch which can be done for sure on non-bootcamp computers that allows them to use more ram for applications and less for the system. I am wondering if that is possible on a mac with bootcamp.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2009, 01:32 PM

Why wouldn't the 3GB switch work on a Mac?
There's nothing special about BootCamp; BootCamp is just a disk partitioning utility, EFI CSM, and driver pack.

cinematree  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2009, 01:38 PM

I found this:

"The Bootcamp / EFI firmware of the Mac Pro limits the RAM Usable in 32-bit Windows to 2 GB. The /3GB and PAE switches have nothing to do with the amount of RAM accessible by Windows under Bootcamp."

Does that make sense to you? Or am I misinterpreting it? I can't remember where I found it now - I had pasted it into another forum discussion.

I don't know much about PCs, as I'm traditionally just Mac.

If I want to try the 3gb switch, is it safe enough just to set up a system restore point, or should I have a different safety net?

Thank you.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2009, 01:50 PM

It could be that Apple crippled their CSM to only support 2GB.

There's no harm in trying the 3GB switch; if the hardware only presents 2GB to Windows then it won't have any impact. Even if Windows wouldn't boot (unlikely AFAIK), you could edit the boot.ini file from OS X or a recovery disk.

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2009, 01:05 PM

I've tried the /3GB switch quite a while ago and it didn't work and I retried it yesterday and it no worky still...

Forum Links
Forum Rules