Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Any Suggestions on New Imac OS?

Any Suggestions on New Imac OS?
sfinds
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2006, 12:05 PM

With Xmas buying and shipping already in the works if I wait until after the 1st of the year, would it be smart to wait longer until they ship with Leopard already installed?

I have ordered from Macmall and/or Macconnection in the past with good results but am tempted to go local even if paying the tax to walk out with it.

Also looking at getting the 2GB of RAM installed but if I do that can't afford anything else right off the bat.

Any thoughts appreciated.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2006, 12:30 PM

it's christmas, not xmas.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Nov 26, 2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
If you could point that out, you could understand the meaning. Unless you are his teacher, father or some kind of tutor, I don't see the point of your corrections.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 26, 2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by gooser
The early Christians used the Greek "chi" (which looks an awful like an X-because the two characters are indeed related) to refer to Christ; chi is the first letter in His name in Greek. So "X-mas" is not only valid, it's historical as well.

And your post has nothing to do with the OP's question.

sfinds, if you buy a Mac now, you'll be happy. If you wait until Leopard comes out, you might be happier, but you'll have to wait a while. I like not waiting myself.

Most brick-and-mortar vendors will charge you out the proverbial wazoo to install more RAM than what comes standard (and charge a LOT for the RAM too), and it's not a major technical challenge to install it yourself, so I'd pass on that and spend the savings on something else.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Nov 26, 2006, 03:25 PM

Just for the record, Christ comes from χριστός.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2006, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
It's iMac, not Imac.

sfinds  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2006, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the input ghporter and Nai no Kami.

The rest are way to uptight.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2006, 11:11 PM

you should wait after Xmas. Macworld will be coming around and most likely new products (like new Macs) will come out.

P.S. Wow. somebody says Xmas instead of Christmas and this thread becomes a flamefest.
Signature depreciated.

mfdynusore
Nov 29, 2006, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
you should wait after Xmas. Macworld will be coming around and most likely new products (like new Macs) will come out.

P.S. Wow. somebody says Xmas instead of Christmas and this thread becomes a flamefest.
The iMac is fairly recently updated isn't it. Anyone have insight on the likliehood of an update @ Macworld?

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2006, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by mfdynusore View Post
The iMac is fairly recently updated isn't it. Anyone have insight on the likliehood of an update @ Macworld?
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you

macdevil
Nov 30, 2006, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by sfinds View Post
if I wait until after the 1st of the year, would it be smart to wait longer until they ship with Leopard already installed?
If you can wait, then I would sugggest waiting. If you need the system now then get it. If you get it now, the best you could hope for is a discounted upgrade to Leopard when it does get released. It is unlikely IMHO that a major hardware change will occur with the iMac line. It is possible, lots of whispers on quad core or blu-ray or even different colors, more likely a speed bump and optical drive options.
With all things being equal if you need it or can't pass up the deal then get it, if not then wait. I waiting to upgrade my laptop, more for Leopard, but somewhat wishful for hardware options in either of the mb or mbp lines. I can't wait for that, but I needed (and could pass up the deal I got) on my 24".
Tibook 800dvi 40gig, 1 gig RAM
iMac 24" 2.16 C2d, 250G, 1gig RAM

sfinds  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2006, 09:58 AM

I am going to wait until after the 1st of the year as long as this one keeps running. The iMac DVD 400 that I am using now was a replacement from Apple after they could not fix the 350 several years ago, but it did take 90 days to get it. The 350 was still under warrenty.

P
Nov 30, 2006, 12:58 PM

Considering how Apple have been working lately, I'd say that a minor iMac speed bump at MWSF is likely.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Considering how Apple have been working lately, I'd say that a minor iMac speed bump at MWSF is likely.
I don't know. It seems to me that there is a latent hope in the original question that Leopard could be released not too long after MWSF. However, S. Jobs himself said spring 2007. Personally I don't expect anything before the end of March. But it would be interesting to see what he has to say in the next MWSF. I suppose he will repeat what we do know at this time, that is spring release.

So, new iMacs with new OS is going to take some time.

P
Dec 1, 2006, 08:03 AM

Leopard at MWSF? No way. New preview, sure, but not released.

jasong
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2006, 08:36 PM

Personally, I am waiting, but that's because I want a new Mac, not that I need one.

Well that, and I am hoping that my ensuing promotion carries a large enough raise that I can talk myself into a MacBook Pro instead of a MacBook.
-- Jason

Nostromo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 09:23 PM

> Wow. somebody says Xmas instead of Christmas and this thread becomes a flamefest.

My guess is that this guy is one of those Fox "News"/Bill O'Reilly fanboys who thinks that it's a crime against humanity for people to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" (remember that hissy fit they threw last year about that?).

God help the person who mentions Kwanzaa to this guy...

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2006, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the input ghporter and Nai no Kami.

The rest are way to uptight.
It's UpTight

hayesk
Dec 1, 2006, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by macdevil View Post
If you get it now, the best you could hope for is a discounted upgrade to Leopard when it does get released.
That has not happened in the past, so I wouldn't count on or expect that.

sfinds  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2006, 09:34 AM

It's UpTight

Whatever fits..lol

KnotGullible
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nai no Kami View Post
Just for the record, Christ comes from χριστός.
Merry Xplotoc-mas to you, too.

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2006, 12:23 PM

Merry OSX-mas to everyone and to all a good night!

Cubester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2006, 12:30 PM

Now that was a funny thread. Please enjoy your non denominational time period, or perhaps...Seasons Greetings?

micalk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2006, 12:46 PM

Billo got flummoxed the other day when he said he had gifts perfect for "the holidays" on his site. After he realized his faux 'faux pas', he couldn't even say his website addy.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2006, 08:30 AM

If you wait until January, you will almost certainly get an iLife update if nothing else.

brondee73
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2006, 10:05 AM

With Xmas buying and shipping already in the works if I wait until after the 1st of the year, would it be smart to wait longer until they ship with Leopard already installed?

I have ordered from Macmall and/or Macconnection in the past with good results but am tempted to go local even if paying the tax to walk out with it.

Also looking at getting the 2GB of RAM installed but if I do that can't afford anything else right off the bat.

Any thoughts appreciated.
There will always be the next best computer around the corner if you wait long enough. Apple has historically updated its iMac line approximately every 6 months. With the introduction of the Intel iMac, the product refreshes have to date been tied to Intel processor introductions (Intel Core Duo at the beginning of the year and Intel Core 2 Duo in late July). Core 2 Duo chips are projected to continue into 2007 and Apple is not projecting Mac OS X 10.5 Jaguar to be available until the Spring (maybe March or April). This would coincide with their typical refresh cycle of six month, putting the next revision of the iMac due to stores in March of next year.

Now, the big question is does the current line up of iMacs meet your needs. Do you use Adobe products heavily, which would suggest waiting for CS3 around the same time as 10.5 and an expected product refresh? Or, do you do mostly use email, web, Microsoft products, and the like? If so, then the current line up meets and exceeds those needs. The current line up is amazing in terms of price, included features, and performance. But you need to determine what your computer needs are and if they are meet by the current line up. If the answer is yes, then make the plung. You can always install Jaguar when it arrives next spring.

LittleBastad
Dec 4, 2006, 11:53 AM

I think you mean Leopard and not Jaguar, right?

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Dec 4, 2006, 02:13 PM

Typically, Apple has offered $20 OS upgrades for those who bought computers with the older OS installed after the shipping date was announced. So what you could do is wait until keynote day, see if a ship date for Leopard is announced, and if so go buy your Mac that day (or maybe that week). You'll get your Mac right away without having to potentially wait another month or two (or four), and still get Leopard on the cheap. I'd probably wait until Apple actually confirms it before buying though.

AlenShapiro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2006, 02:19 PM

It's not Christmas OR Xmas.

You're too early... wait until closer to the end of December before arguing further.

OBSubject...

The OS is in a pretty good bug-fix state right now (10.4.8). I'd go with what works now and upgrade after they've fixed the major Leopard bugs sometime mid next year.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2006, 03:04 PM

Buy now. Don't worry about whether it's Christmas or Xmas, this isn't the Lounge.

sfinds  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by parsec_kadets View Post
Typically, Apple has offered $20 OS upgrades for those who bought computers with the older OS installed after the shipping date was announced. So what you could do is wait until keynote day, see if a ship date for Leopard is announced, and if so go buy your Mac that day (or maybe that week). You'll get your Mac right away without having to potentially wait another month or two (or four), and still get Leopard on the cheap. I'd probably wait until Apple actually confirms it before buying though.
Have pretty much decided to buy in January. That is, if I can wait that long.

Thanks for all the input.

Forum Links
Forum Rules