Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dealing With Crazy Neighbour With Hypersensitivity to Bass?

Dealing With Crazy Neighbour With Hypersensitivity to Bass?
Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2012, 08:04 PM

Hey guys, I moved into a new apartment building that's awesome aside from the super old woman who lives beside me. Our living rooms share a wall, and apparently even when my music is listened to at a lower volume than I've ever listened to it at a previous apartment, she claims she can hear it and it's "Sooooo loud!" (Did I also mention she's a whiny old woman?) I went over to her place at one point and you could SLIGHTLY hear the bass coming off my speakers, like not even constant. Heck at one point she asked me if I'd turned it on because you really can only hear it at some point and again then it required her to shut off her TV (which she'd actually been blasting.)

So anyway, I've already turned down the bass a good deal on my sub, I've put a matt under it, folded over, and tonight again she complained to the land lord, who basically came over and said, "I'm sorry I can barely hear it? But could you turn it off?"

Any suggestions? One friend suggested I freeze some urine and slide it under her front door. But I'm more looking to fix the problem and not necessarily harass an (admittedly crazy) senior. (I will confess, I've been super tempted to swipe the stupid angel things she hangs on her door.)

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2012, 08:33 PM

I hate hearing other people's music when I'm in my home, and I'm not all that old.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 20, 2012, 09:03 PM

Bass is supposedly sensitive to reflection angles. Try putting the sub in test mode, then move it around and try different directions. Find the one that is quietest when you stand against the shared wall. You might even put the sub in front of that wall, pointing away from the wall.

You could also hang a big wall mural just off the shared wall.

edit: if you want to get serious, you could hang real anechoic foam panels. This place has some interesting supplies.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2012, 10:27 PM

The issue isn't that she can hear my music, it's that she's picking up the bass. Even when I'm listening to the music at a lower volume than the street noise.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2012, 01:38 AM

I'm on her side, mate. People who use subwoofers in apartments, at any volume, are basically ****ing with anybody else's ability to enjoy their own space.

Buy some stereo speakers and quit wet-willying your neighbors.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Thorzdad
Jul 21, 2012, 04:59 AM

Apartments are fairly subwoofer-hostile environments. The vibrations carry through the construction and into everyone else's rooms.
I'm on the neighbor's side on this one. Turn off the sub.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2012, 05:14 AM

Ask yourself this: how would you like it if you could hear her old-lady-music interfering with your music?

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2012, 05:57 AM

Again she can't HEAR anything. And this apartment building is made of concrete. I'm listening to my music entirely within the bounds of what's legally allowed.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2012, 08:40 AM

So, when the landlord said he could hear it, he wasn't really hearing it?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2012, 08:48 AM

Turn off your sub - problem solved. If you are put out, buy a house and then you can have 10 subwoofers and no one will care.

You are not going to win this one and is it really a battle worth fighting?

finboy
Jul 21, 2012, 09:55 AM

Dude:
I hate to say it, but I agree. Neighbors' music was the bane of my existence when I lived in apartments. Same in a neighborhood. Unplug the subwoofer and everyone can get along.

If she can hear it, any part of it, you're violating the lease agreement.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 21, 2012, 12:58 PM

GUYS! Are you forgetting that this woman is OLD and WHINY?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2012, 01:27 PM

The cheapest solution would be to buy a luxury car with a great stereo system. I bet the old lady couldn't keep up if you drove fast enough.

-t

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2012, 02:21 PM

Just be thankful it wasn't my grandmother, she would have whooped you good.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2012, 02:37 PM

I have a studio in my apartment, and the first thing I did when I moved in was to grab my upstairs neighbor when we were introduced in the hallway, drag her into the studio to show her why, and then explain to her that the last thing I wanted was trouble with neighbors, that I would now give her my phone number, that I would like to come up to their apartment a couple of times in the next few weeks as I hooked up the gear for some noise tests, and how were their working hours?

Luckily, the apartment building is solid steel-reinforced concrete ceilings and walls, and I can pretty much blast any time I want. Though I did get a single SMS at 3 a.m. last week, when I was watching Iron Sky with a friend.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2012, 03:25 PM

I'm terrified of playing music too loud even though my apartment is such I would probably make my ears bleed before my neighbors could notice the noise.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 21, 2012, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Turn off your sub - problem solved. If you are put out, buy a house and then you can have 10 subwoofers and no one will care.
My theater only has two subs and you can hear them from my neighbors' houses.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2012, 04:14 PM

I was more looking for help on either cost effectively sound proofing, or perhaps some brilliant member who knows something about the ear could advise me of a treatment to suggest to my neighbour or something. But thanks for just being asshats guys, always helpful.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2012, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I was more looking for help on either cost effectively sound proofing, or perhaps some brilliant member who knows something about the ear could advise me of a treatment to suggest to my neighbour or something. But thanks for just being asshats guys, always helpful.
Gut response to that one?

"**** you, you self-absorbed little ****."

But I'm way too polite to actually say it.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2012, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Gut response to that one?
"**** you, you self-absorbed little ****."
But I'm way too polite to actually say it.
And that's why nobody likes you

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2012, 06:33 PM

Dude. You got links to anechoic foam, anecdotes from people who are afraid of the exact situation you're in, one talking about how somebody deals with these kinds of problems before they occur, and comments that seem to indicate that US law, at least, may require you to turn it down. Plus the beginnings of some discussion on how audible subwoofers actually are.

And your response is to call every one who responded to this thread an asshat?

I stand by my post.

I don't need your whiny ass to like that.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2012, 06:40 PM

I got one helpful link about some sound proofing, though they have no prices listed on their site. I also got a whole bunch of dicks who can't read that there is no AUDIBLE sound coming from my apartment. Who continually keep telling me to turn the music down despite the fact that the music already is turned down. I also live in Canada.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2012, 07:06 PM

Well, either you can "SLIGHTLY" hear it, or not. Sorry, but this dick is confused about your use of the word "audible".

And while you live in Canada, have you checked what the actual law says about music in rental apartments? That might have helped turn a perceived "asshat" response into something relevant and useful to your situation.
And pricing can usually pretty easily determined, either by searching for comparable products, or just sending an e-mail.

Because, you know, even you can be expected to do a little legwork when you're really asking to be pitied and spoon-fed ready-made solutions.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2012, 07:14 PM

Hey guys, I moved into a new apartment building that's awesome aside from the super old woman who lives beside me. Our living rooms share a wall, and apparently even when my music is listened to at a lower volume than I've ever listened to it at a previous apartment, she claims she can hear it and it's "Sooooo loud!" (Did I also mention she's a whiny old woman?) I went over to her place at one point and you could SLIGHTLY hear the bass coming off my speakers, like not even constant. Heck at one point she asked me if I'd turned it on because you really can only hear it at some point and again then it required her to shut off her TV (which she'd actually been blasting.)
So anyway, I've already turned down the bass a good deal on my sub, I've put a matt under it, folded over, and tonight again she complained to the land lord, who basically came over and said, "I'm sorry I can barely hear it? But could you turn it off?"
Any suggestions? One friend suggested I freeze some urine and slide it under her front door. But I'm more looking to fix the problem and not necessarily harass an (admittedly crazy) senior. (I will confess, I've been super tempted to swipe the stupid angel things she hangs on her door.)
So... you're obligated to move into a multi-dweller setting and subject others to your "crazy-assed" music? Maybe she thinks Hootie and the Blowfish sucks or something, who are you to judge her? Either get a house or start playing Ella Fitzgerald. Or use this as an excuse to get some fantastic in-ear monitors.

Otherwise, I'm with the crazy senior citizen lady. As long as she vows to renew her driver's license annually.
ebuddy

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2012, 10:10 PM

I hope she runs you down.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2012, 11:31 PM

I don't think I'll be getting the hang of the Christian mindset anytime soon...

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2012, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
So... you're obligated to move into a multi-dweller setting and subject others to your "crazy-assed" music? Maybe she thinks Hootie and the Blowfish sucks or something, who are you to judge her? Either get a house or start playing Ella Fitzgerald. Or use this as an excuse to get some fantastic in-ear monitors.
Otherwise, I'm with the crazy senior citizen lady. As long as she vows to renew her driver's license annually.
I prefer that option, can't go wrong there. Throw in some Nina Simone too.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJRX-8SXOs[/VIDEO]
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2012, 12:02 AM

I got one helpful link to soundproofing... I also got a whole bunch of dicks who can't read that there is no AUDIBLE sound coming from my apartment.
I think the problem here is you suck shit at communication.

You meant to say no one could hear it, but somehow your fingers typed in your first post that three people could hear it.

If there's no audible SOUND coming from your apartment, just what the **** are we supposed to SOUNDproof for you?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 22, 2012, 12:52 AM

Me thinks Mr. Salty doesn't quite understand how a subwoofer works. It isn't heard - it's felt. It permeates.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2012, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Me thinks Mr. Salty doesn't quite understand how a subwoofer works. It isn't heard - it's felt. It permeates.
Not if you have a crappy subwoofer and operates at higher frequencies.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2012, 03:32 AM

Salty,

Get yourself some nice headphones with a lot of bass.

or

Tell her the truth. You are playing your music load enough with lots of bass to mask the sound of you having dirty sex. I'm betting she would prefer the bass over hearing you screaming.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2012, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I prefer that option, can't go wrong there. Throw in some Nina Simone too.
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJRX-8SXOs[/VIDEO]
LIKEE!
ebuddy

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2012, 06:17 AM

Just bought me some Nina on re-issued vinyl. Amazing quality.

Salty, anybody who uses a sub-woofer in an apartment building is an inconsiderate shit.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2012, 06:48 AM

I hope she runs you down.
I have a simple solution for when people think I'm being unreasonable.

Just call for their death.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Well, the audible frequencies are certainly heard.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2012, 11:55 AM

...by definition.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2012, 12:50 PM

Is it possible she is just picking up the vibes on a hearing aid?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2012, 08:04 AM

I've had a similar problem.

There used to be this crazy woman who lived directly below us, and she would come up and scream at us about once a week or so to stop stomping around, or to turn our TV down or to stop yelling... etc...

The thing is, we weren't stomping, weren't listening to loud music, weren't yelling, etc...

We were just living our lives like normal people. She would come up and start yelling and having a fit... all the time.

She would send her boyfriend up to be all threatening. It was very annoying.

What the hell were we supposed to do? Tie pillows to our feet?

I eventually told her that we would do our best not to make too much noise, but that we would not change our lives in any way. I let her boyfriend stay in there while I showed him what we were dong. Waked around normally. Showed him the volume our TV was at. Nothing ever satisfied them.

They ended up calling the landlord on us multiple times and he took our side, told them to cut it out. The sort of cut it out, in that they eventually stopped coming up, but they were always super mean and nasty to us.

I've also been on the other end. Had super loud neighbors who would have crazy parties all night long. Or blare TV and music all the time... I once had an upstairs neighbor who ran a small home daycare service or something. She would have 7 or 8 or so toddlers running around every single day. It sounded like a stampede of rhinos or Riverdance or something. Awful. This was back when I worked 3rd shift, so these kids would always wake me up.

My suggestion? Buy a house.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2012, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I've also been on the other end. Had super loud neighbors who would have crazy parties all night long.
Heh.

A friend had a neighbor like that in a high-rise apartment building. They would party almost every night.

Eventually, the surrounding neighbors talked to each other and agreed that the planned remodeling of one of their apartments would take place at two a.m. on a weeknight.

After they broke through the wall between the kitchen and the living room with sledgehammers that night, the offending neighbors calmed down completely. Never another peep out of them.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2012, 10:31 AM

This thread is a winnar because I was reminded that Nina Simone is really good.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2012, 11:58 AM

This all sounds like the first season of Friends.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I once had an upstairs neighbor who ran a small home daycare service or something. She would have 7 or 8 or so toddlers running around every single day. It sounded like a stampede of rhinos or Riverdance or something. Awful.
I don't mean to laugh at your former situation, but I could't help but at your description of the kids running around.

My neighbor upstairs has a young child and I can hear her running around sometimes, but it is never bad enough for me to complain. I do wish they would trim the nails of their dog though since I hear it scratch the floors when it walks around early in the morning.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2012, 09:05 PM

Thanks Ort for the actual reply

(And the few others who haven't been dicks.)

And as I understand it subs handle the low sounds. The music I've been playing lately hasn't been insanely heavy on the bass, no dub step or anything like that. Stuff like House of Heroes' new album, Nathan Angelo, Graham Coulton. Mostly either rock or folky stuff.

The speaker system I've been using is a set of Logitech Z4s. I also recently purchased a low end Onkyo home theatre in a box that's in the same living room. I'm the Onkyo cost just under 400 if it wasn't on sale, the Logitechs were about 150. Anyone suggest I listen through the Onkyo or the Logitechs?

Basically I'm looking for some suggestions to to not wearing headphones constantly, party because my ears actually get super uncomfortable when I have pretty well any headphones except the ones that come with my iPhone (most others make my ears really hot and then I get like this runny sort of ... you don't want to know.) and unless Apple has plans to make a set of nice bluetooth ones where I won't have to risk getting my iPhone wet when doing dishes or something like that, headphones aren't a great option.

Also if I do have friends over I want to be able to watch a movie with them at a reasonable volume (generally I have my TV turned down way quieter than most people).

Again, can't stress the music isn't loud, I rarely like listening to music that loudly unless I'm working out or something like that. The other night when she was complaining it was just quietly in the background to keep my ADD under control while I was writing. And like I said the care taker could't even believe that she was complaining about it at that volume.

Also to clarify, when I went over I heard slight bass in her apartment, honestly probably quitter than you'd get from a car with the stereo turned up loud down on the front street. (And my apt is 3 stories up) and that I had to really pay attention to. The land lord specifically said that he couldn't hear a thing. (Granted he's also a senior)

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2012, 02:26 AM

You've had numerous people point out that one shouldn't try to use a subwoofer in an apartment. That's your answer, bud. Stop trying to pretend as though no one's helping out.

Almost all cheap computer audio or home-theatre-in-a-box sets have boomy, sloppy, heavy bass. That's what you have. Even at low volumes, the bass will be disproportionately loud compared to your midrange and upper frequencies.

So you've got two options: chalk her up to hypersensitivity and keep playing and hope no one else complains, or turn off the sub. If you have to do that, I'd just get a nice little stereo setup that doesn't have a subwoofer - for a couple hundred bucks you can get something that sounds fantastic.

Thorzdad
Jul 25, 2012, 07:48 AM

And as I understand it subs handle the low sounds.
Subs are intended to handle the sub-sonic signals. The signals that are more vibration than obvious, audible sound (yes, they do handle some audible bass, but they aren't intended to replace the actual woofers in a speaker system) Sub-sonics are non-directional, which is why you only need one sub in a system, and its placement is generally non-critical, so long as it is placed on the floor, in order to propagate the vibrations throughout the listening space. The very purpose (and operation) of a sub is why they are never recommended for use in apartment buildings.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2012, 08:49 AM

To add to that, the reason cheap "home theatre" systems are so sloppy in the lower regions is that the mains and surrounds often have very little in the way of decent woofers. So their lower midrange is quite weak, and to compensate the sub is designed to play more into the audible spectrum and fill in those frequencies more than it really should. Hence, "boomy".

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2012, 11:08 AM

Yes. Investing ten times what he has into a decent playback system may actually reduce the issue, as the bass will be much more precise and tightened up.

It may not, though. Even higher-end equipment doesn't necessarily compensate for bad taste in boomy bass.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 25, 2012, 12:39 PM

I bought some excellent vintage Polk stereo speakers for a pittance at the local Goodwill, Salty.

And to reinforce the point that cheap 2.1/5.1 setups rely way too heavily on blunt subs; try listening to just your satellites without the subwoofer on at all, if you can.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

pottymouth
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2012, 12:54 PM

Ohhhh, that sucks. I had one of those neighbors. I almost got evicted after "numerous" complaints to the management company (never to ME), but then when they actually sent notice and talked to me in person they realized that the dude was mental. Ultimately, they agreed that my lease said I could do WTF I wanted between 8AM and 10PM, but after that, noise had to be kept within my own walls. But even that wasn't good enough and the crazy guy escalated to repeated calls to the police who eventually got tired of showing up to deal with unruly parties that didn't exist.

Yes, the guy was an a-hole and impossible to please, but I DID unplug my sub for several months. Eventually, it stopped being amusing and just got old so I moved to a much more reasonable triple-decker with other reasonable 30-somethings who liked to make a reasonable amount of noise. No doubt, I absolutely prefer having noisy neighbors so I don't have to feel bad about being noisy myself. Seems to me, if you don't want to hear your neighbors, you shouldn't be living in a friggin' apartment.

Two months ago, I moved to the burbs and I think I may finally have my chance to take up the drums.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2012, 01:59 PM

Not as bad as the drums, but I had neighbors above me who were enthusiastically into Rock Band.

I was glad me and my ex had already separated. I was fine just waiting them out, and I'm positive she would have forced me to go bad cop on them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules