Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4.11 (PowerPC) in Software Update

10.4.11 (PowerPC) in Software Update
Doc Juansinn
Senior User
Nov 14, 2007, 05:16 PM

Just noticed this. So, who's gonna be the first to say how snappy it is? Have fun.
"Why did this thread cross the line? Because its **** got stuck in a chicken." - Demonhood

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2007, 06:37 PM

Safari 3 yay!

Koralatov
Senior User
Nov 14, 2007, 07:49 PM

It's "teh snappy", and it runs like a dream. I've had it a whole ten minutes and no issues so far. Obviously, this is a testament to the superiority of Macs!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2007, 08:00 PM

Finally!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2007, 08:17 PM

10.4?? are people still running that?
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2007, 08:22 PM

I wonder if this version has iTunes scrollbars in the Finder?

dru
Senior User
Nov 14, 2007, 08:23 PM

No problems here so far. And no, besson3c, no scrollbar change. Why would they? This is a Tiger update.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2007, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
It really came as a shock to me it didn't! Let's go forth and start multiple threads about the issue on different forums and post how disappointed we are and how much Apple and Mac OS X suck.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 14, 2007, 11:28 PM

It's very snappy. My PowerBook feels new (867 MHz with 640 Mb of RAM). Safari 3 seems a bit faster than it did in Leopard. Pretty sweet.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2007, 12:43 AM

I think I got an extra MHz!

No problems here after upgrade.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

outthere
Nov 15, 2007, 12:52 AM

safari keeps quiting here. and it's frustrating
un jour,

superfletch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 12:58 AM

When I go up to the apple menu and click on "about this macintosh" it takes like three minutes for the window to pop up...

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2007, 03:59 PM

Nothing really seems faster, but nothing too bad has happened yet either.

There's Safari 3.0.4's "Show all bookmarks." section. They changed the sidebar with All RSS Feeds and History and Bonjour, and I just don't like it. Plus it doesn't show everything when I open it in a smaller window than normal. I've got to drag the frame right a little to show all the words. Can't say for sure if this happened in previous versions.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 05:33 PM

I'll pay Apple $100 if this update means my MDD can finally sleep (and wake up) properly.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Koralatov
Senior User
Nov 15, 2007, 05:51 PM

Bleh. It appears to have made my iBook slow. Damn. I'll have to look into it just to make sure it's not something else, but I'll be pretty gutted if it is...

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by .Neo View Post
It really came as a shock to me it didn't! Let's go forth and start multiple threads about the issue on different forums and post how disappointed we are and how much Apple and Mac OS X suck.
Better yet, an online petition!

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2007, 10:52 PM

Another update, to Safari.

It automatically adjusts the size of text boxes so you don't have a scroll bar. As far as I can tell, it gets bigger, and bigger, and bigger, and bigger. Then if you delete it all, it shrinks down to fit whatever is left.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2007, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Another update, to Safari.

It automatically adjusts the size of text boxes so you don't have a scroll bar. As far as I can tell, it gets bigger, and bigger, and bigger, and bigger. Then if you delete it all, it shrinks down to fit whatever is left.
I would hope that, if you're right, it would respect CSS textarea declarations, or else this behavior could potentially be quite problematic.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2007, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by outthere View Post
safari keeps quiting here. and it's frustrating
InputManagers
APE

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2007, 12:54 AM

Again, Safari goodies.

Man, Its worth the 10.4.11 upgrade for Safari alone!

Finally! Safari now shrinks images to fit your screen, and you click them to view them in their original size. A must for my small iBook screen.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2007, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
Better yet, an online petition!
Whoooa, slow down, Texas. Online petitions are serious business and no laughing matter.

Where do I dign?

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2007, 05:36 AM

Installing Now...

Edit: Everything went smooth. I'm missing something in my menu bar though, but I can't figure out what.
( Last edited by Sijmen; Nov 16, 2007 at 06:40 AM. )
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2007, 11:02 AM

I'm having problems with my Adobe software unexpectedly quitting on me now — just since updating.

Acrobat Pro as well as all my CS2 apps.

I've double checked my fonts to make sure that something hasn't happened there; but I'm not finding anything as of yet that might be the cause. The only new thing that I have added to this machine in the past few days has been this system update.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

EndlessMac
Senior User
Nov 16, 2007, 01:45 PM

I've installed it and haven't really seen any problems as of yet. I did noticed that my startup is a little slower but so far things seem ok.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2007, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I'll pay Apple $100 if this update means my MDD can finally sleep (and wake up) properly.
What do you mean? My MDD didn't have trouble for that.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2007, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
I've installed it and haven't really seen any problems as of yet. I did noticed that my startup is a little slower but so far things seem ok.
I noticed that too.

hbone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2007, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
10.4?? are people still running that?
Leopard is missing a lot of functions that available in tiger 10.4.xx Everything is listed on the Apple site, but is not included in Leopard.

DewD
Nov 17, 2007, 01:43 PM

Beforer you'all get joyous over the 10.4.11 update, be it known it disable Pith Helmet in Safari. No ad blocking for now. PithHelmet Not only will it not load, the latest version 2.7 released just a few days ( including a beta for Leopard) will not even install, even though the Safari version is identical 3.0.4....huh?

This is apparently due to some new facet of SIMBL. The developer is aware PH won;t work under " 11" but he's gone walkabout for a few days and a fix won;t be available for a while.

Damn . I love PithHelmet for its ability to wipe away all those annoying Flash and Java and banners and peels . White space rules. In the meantime, I browse in Frefox 2.0.0.9 with the also-excellent AdBlock

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2007, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Safari 3 yay!
Safari 3 boo!

I'm sticking with 10.4.10 for quite some time on my main machine.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 17, 2007, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by DewD View Post
Beforer you'all get joyous over the 10.4.11 update, be it known it disable Pith Helmet in Safari. No ad blocking for now. P
Does NO ONE know about SafariBlock? It works in 10.4.11 and 10.5 with both Safari's.

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2007, 01:08 AM

Weird thing is happening here. For some reason osx doesn't allow apps to start after an x-amount of time. Right now I wanted to mount an .img with toast. When I clicked on the Toast icon it just bounced and bounced and bounced until it got fed-up with itself and went into a slump.
I can't boot anything now. This happened yesterday as well when I got back from the bathroom and wanted to extract a zipped file. Running apps can be used normally, though. What doesn't work is illumination, volume control, brightness control and the eject button. Finder is fully funtioning(no mounting of dmg's/zip's/etc. though.
Yesterday I fixed this with a reboot. I'll try to log out en logging back in to see if it'll disappear.

Edit: Well, couldn't log out. Finder didn't respond to command+shift+q, or the power button. Had to hold the button for the machine to shut down. If this behavior stays I'll go back to 4.10. I guess I never had to update it anyway, it was working fine the way it was. I guess it's a lesson learned.
( Last edited by Sijmen; Nov 18, 2007 at 01:16 AM. )
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2007, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sijmen View Post
Weird thing is happening here. For some reason osx doesn't allow apps to start after an x-amount of time. Right now I wanted to mount an .img with toast. When I clicked on the Toast icon it just bounced and bounced and bounced until it got fed-up with itself and went into a slump.
I can't boot anything now. This happened yesterday as well when I got back from the bathroom and wanted to extract a zipped file. Running apps can be used normally, though. What doesn't work is illumination, volume control, brightness control and the eject button. Finder is fully funtioning(no mounting of dmg's/zip's/etc. though.
Yesterday I fixed this with a reboot. I'll try to log out en logging back in to see if it'll disappear.

Edit: Well, couldn't log out. Finder didn't respond to command+shift+q, or the power button. Had to hold the button for the machine to shut down. If this behavior stays I'll go back to 4.10. I guess I never had to update it anyway, it was working fine the way it was. I guess it's a lesson learned.

Are you aware of the <update prebinding> bug?

It can affect all or any part of OSX operation.
It can happen during any OSX update (or downgrade).

Similarly, a subsequent update or downgrade may fix the problem...
but the "issue" was actually an error during the prebinding process.

It may have happened to you, or anyone else.
See the linked article, for more/better details.
( Last edited by Hal Itosis; Nov 18, 2007 at 02:14 AM. )
-HI-

jrpkid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2007, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
I noticed that too.
Ditto. I'm glad I found others noticing the same phenomenon. It took me a while to know it wasn't just me. My MacBookPro took a fatal crash when attempting the 10.4.11 update the first time. I had, fortunately, cloned my drive when I was having trouble with the MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.4. So I erased, reinstalled, ran the update, and now the machine is much faster, except, as noted, the start-up takes a lot longer. I stare at a gray screen for a while before I ever see the Apple logo. In addition, the blue bar "Loading Mac OS X" takes as long as it did before the firmware 1.4 update. But the time saved once it is up is worth it due to its new found quickness.

OS 10.4.11
Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP22.00A5.B07
SMC Version: 1.12f5

Forum Links
Forum Rules