Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Undun

Undun
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2011, 06:16 PM

The 10th album from The Legendary Roots Crew. 12th if you count their recent collaborations with John Legend and Betty Wright. Their gig as Jimmy Fallon's house band has allowed them to take a break from the virtually nonstop touring they've done over the last two decades to develop their very first "concept album".

iTunes - Music - Undun by The Roots

A tale of a semi-fictional character called Redford Stephens caught up in dangerous and hopeless environment plagued by crime, drug dealing, and tragedy. The first track represents the death of the character. All the other tracks represent various stages in his life proceeding backwards through time all the way to his birth. Impeccable production. Tight instrumentation. Lyricism abounds. A Hip Hop masterpiece IMO. My prediction is that it will be nominated for Album of the Year in the 2012 Grammy Awards.

Any other fans of The Roots among the citizens of the Lounge?

OAW

Tiresias
Dec 8, 2011, 09:25 AM

Ah! This reminds me of a question I was meaning to ask earlier.

What connection, if any, is there between pronking springbok and the Maasai jumping dance ceremony of Kenyan tribesman?

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2011, 01:17 PM

Not sure I see the connection ..... but I can't really say. I am by no means an expert on Maasai culture. The little I do know is that they are some of the tallest people in the world. They are cattle herders as well as hunters. A young male must actually hunt a lion in order to prove his manhood. One of their favorite drinks is a mixture of cow's blood and milk. Outside of that I'm pretty much tapped.

OAW

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2011, 03:16 PM

I am a white person, so therefore I think the Roots is cool.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2011, 04:08 PM

If you are a fan of what many would call "real Hip Hop" ... not that ignorant and degrading "rap" sh*t that's so prevalent in the market these days ... well then you already know. But for those who may be unfamiliar .....

Video: Bilal X The Roots “The Other Side” & “Tip the Scale” Live on Fallon � Okayplayer

OAW

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2011, 05:14 PM

Why I'm not sure what you mean. My favourite hip-hop albums include material from such wonderful artistes as Lil Wayne, NAS, The Roots, Jay-Z, Drake, Clipse, Dr. Dre, Lupe Fiasco and of course Mr. Snoop Doggy Dogg in tha hiz-ouse.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2011, 05:38 PM

I stopped listening after 1986. Rap used be about eating junk food and having fun. Now it's about slapping women and putting wheels on your car.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Why I'm not sure what you mean. My favourite hip-hop albums include material from such wonderful artistes as Lil Wayne, NAS, The Roots, Jay-Z, Drake, Clipse, Dr. Dre, Lupe Fiasco and of course Mr. Snoop Doggy Dogg in tha hiz-ouse.
I have no idea who Drake is other than the star in one of the worst commercials I have ever seen (Terrible lyrics, too).

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2011, 05:42 PM

I suppose it comes down to lyricism, flow, beats, and subject matter. In my collection I have something from all those artists. Some a lot more than others. For instance I have everything The Roots have ever put out. Whereas I only have the first couple albums from Snoop D-O double G. Classic stuff. Just like" F*ck Tha Police" by N.W.A. was classic stuff. But I was a lot younger then and as I grew older that type of subject matter lost its appeal to me. These days when it comes to these categories, this is how I'd give a to those artists (and a few more):

Lyricism: The Roots, Lupe Fiasco, NAS, Common, Jay-Z, Mos Def, Talib Kweli

Flow: The Roots, Lupe Fiasco, NAS, Common, Jay-Z, Mos Def, Lil' Wayne, Drake, Clipse, Snoop, Dre

Beats: The Roots, Lupe Fiasco, NAS, Common, Jay-Z, Lil' Wayne, Drake, Clipse, Snoop, Dre (to the tenth power)

Subject Matter: The Roots, Lupe Fiasco, NAS, Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli

The more an artist receives the more into them I am. And what I meant in my earlier post regarding "real Hip Hop" vs. "ignorant and degrading rap sh*t" is that certain artists get a in the area of subject matter in addition to the other 3 ... whereas others while undoubtedly skilled get a : in that department.

OAW

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I have no idea who Drake is other than the star in one of the worst commercials I have ever seen (Terrible lyrics, too).
Look...I can't account for your generally terrible taste.

Do yourself a favour and pick up his latest album. It's great.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2011, 10:09 AM

Look...I can't account for your generally terrible taste.

Do yourself a favour and pick up his latest album. It's great.
So, you're saying that was a good commercial?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2011, 10:52 AM

I could take or leave the commercial, but I'm saying I've definitely trash-talked "last name ever, first name greatest" right in someone's face before.

It's fantastic. Every time.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 9, 2011, 10:55 AM

I could take or leave the commercial, but I'm saying I've definitely trash-talked "last name ever, first name greatest" right in someone's face before.

It's fantastic. Every time.
Then you mic drop your briefcase on the court room floor and walk out like you don't give a ****.

Tiresias
Dec 9, 2011, 06:24 PM

I am very partial to hip hop when I find myself in states of insobriety. But my particular predilection is for the Wu Tang Clan.

Dats my sh!t right there, yo!

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2011, 06:30 PM

^^^^

Cash rules everything around me. C.R.E.A.M. get the money. Dollar dollar bill y'all!

OAW

Tiresias
Dec 9, 2011, 07:12 PM

Then Mobb Deep.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Then you mic drop your briefcase on the court room floor and walk out like you don't give a ****.
If it makes you feel any more comfortable it can also be done in front of an XBox into teh interwebs towards faceless geeks on the other end

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2011, 09:21 PM

First track preview

One of the several songs I've been obsessed with at various times since this album came out...

Forum Links
Forum Rules