Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iDVD

iDVD
christ
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2001, 07:27 AM

Where/ how does one (legally) obtain iDVD if one has an old museum piece mac (533DP) and buys a 3rd party Superdrive?

Is this a lounge question (I'm terrified of asking in the G4 forum since cube-dude went berserk there!)? - it doesn't relate to the Mac OS, nor is it 3rd party software.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

pjkim
Jul 27, 2001, 08:43 AM

Slightly off topic, but forgive me. First, the 533 DP is arguably the second fasted Mac ever made behind the 800 DP.

Second, I think that Apple is squandering the potential of iDVD. I think that what is needed is an easy way to make SVCDs. SVCDs or miniDVDs are MPEG2 video files on written on a CD. This gives you over 15 minutes of DVD quality video on a 35 cent CDR that can be played on almost all new generation consumer DVD players. This has the potential of being a killer app that would really compliment iMovie. Almost everyone has a CD burner.

Even though iMovie allows you to easily edit a movie, there is no high quality, easy, inexpensive way to export your movie. Current options are:

1) Back to DV- expensive, not standardized, limited # of players
2) VHS- low quality , expensive
3) Roxio VCD- low quality
4) Quicktime movies- piss poor quality with the included encoders, limited bandwidth

iDVD already has high speed MPEG2 encoding (2x on G4s vs 10-20x Quicktime encoding). All we need is a way to write out iMovies in MPEG2 format on a CDR to really enable easy, high quality sharing of our work.

I think that Apple is really missing the boat on this.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2001, 10:22 AM

SVCD's great if all you want to encode is a couple of music videos or an animated short or two. But that's about it. Fifteen minutes of video just isn't enough for most applications. Sure, it's cheap, but the DVD-R format Apple uses now just plain works better (though I could wish for a "DVD-9-R" or something similar...)
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules