Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB on old mac

USB on old mac
christ
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2002, 12:11 PM

I still can't get the search engine to work, so even tho' I'm sure that this must have been asked before, here goes:

How do I connect a new printer (probably USB) to an old powerbook (serial port only). I can find no end of ways of adding an old peripheral to a new mac, but what about the other way round - what are my options?
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

fulmer
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2002, 05:21 PM

I assume your powerbook has a PCMCIA card slot of type II.

I've used the belkin usb busport mobile and it has always worked great in both os 9 and os x on my old wallstreet 292.

derien
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2002, 07:17 PM

A PC card is probably the best option in the long run, but you might be able to get away with using a serial-to-USB adapter.

And as far as adding old peripherals to new (desktop) Macs, I know there are PCI cards with old serial ports, though I don't know what kind of support they have under OS X.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2002, 09:25 PM

a PC (PCI) card is different than a PCMCIA card. the former is for desktops, the latter for laptops.

if you want usb for your powerbook, then pcmcia is what you'll need. they should cost between $60-100 USD.

Forum Links
Forum Rules