Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > How to win hearts and minds...

How to win hearts and minds...
christ
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2006, 04:15 PM

Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 15, 2006, 04:28 PM

Yup this has happened in every war that has ever been taken place. And not just from Americans.

It's not the norm however.

Sucks it happens. Thus is humanity.

I would say that those that use events like this for partisan political shenanigans are low-lifes as well.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2006, 05:20 PM

I just posted on this. Yes it sucks that happens but the *good* part about this is that they were found out and subsequently punished by the military. While the initial act didn't win any hearts and minds hopefully this subsequent acts on the part of the government to punish those responsible will win some hearts and minds, or at leats mitigate some of the animosity generated by the initial act.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Mark Larr
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2006, 05:34 PM

So, have the animals that sawed the heads off of the telecom workers been punished?

No, they are heroes under (radical) islam.
( Last edited by Mark Larr; Nov 16, 2006 at 12:14 PM. )
Shut up and eat your paisley.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Larr View Post
So, have the animals that sawed the heads off of the telecom workers been punished?

No, they are heroes under islam.
Please tell us how this is relevant? The only thing I can gather is that because some people did one bad thing it makes this bad thing not so bad. Even that is a stretch.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Rumor
Nov 15, 2006, 06:09 PM

One solution.

(Picture is of the Thunderdome at Burning Man)
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

christ  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Larr View Post
... [the animals that sawed the heads off of the telecom workers] are heroes under islam.
Why do you say that?
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Nov 15, 2006, 07:19 PM

Because the MSM will broadcast snippits of people cheering the headless hanged bodies.
Thank the media.
It's a double edged sword. Demoralize Americans, show Islam as barbaric.

Google search for UN, NATO atrocities. You'll be shocked.

And BTW, the American military judicial system won't go lightly on these soilders.
They could hang.

But as Mark Larr said, what became of the men who torturred and butchered the contractors?
Nothing.
They're all but forgotten. It'll be passed off as "a part of war".
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2006, 07:50 PM

This one's been somewhat under-reported:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=6211231
Bacos, 21, admitted to being present at the killing of an Iraqi civilian last April near the village of Hamdania.

Military authorities allege that Marines on patrol with Bacos pulled Hashim Ibrahim Awad from his home and shot him to death before staging his remains to make it appear he was an insurgent trying to plant a bomb.

Bacos confirmed that version of events Friday, saying that the Marines were incensed that a man who they were convinced was an insurgent had been let out of jail. All the men agreed that if their target was not at home, they would attack someone at random.

Awad was a neighbor of the man, who wasn't home when they sought him out.

Bacos said that he urged the men to let Awad go, but they refused. Instead, he said, they put Awad in a hole and shot him numerous times. A rifle and a shovel were placed near Awad, to make the case that he was caught planting road-side explosives.

Their plan included getting clearance from their superiors to return fire on an insurgent. While squad leader Sgt. Lawrence Hutchins was speaking with their base, Bacos fired an AK-47 into the air to complete the ruse.

Awad's fingerprints were then planted on the gun, Bacos said.

Until Bacos agreed to testify, he and the Marines had maintained a united front against the charges. Seven Marines are in the brig for Awad's murder.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2006, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
This one's been somewhat under-reported:

NPR : Navy Medic Describes Civilian's Death in Iraq
It's just being under reported by the "mainstream media." The "Pendelton 8" have stood firm until the Corpman made a deal to testify against his compatriots. I don't think they are guilty based on the evidence of some terrorists? There hasn't been much invesitigation by the Military on this but they are still put in the brig. Something is Wrong. It took the Military MONTHS before Charges were even brought against these Marines as they were being held In shackles while Prisoners at Gitmo got more rights.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

christ  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by typoon View Post
It's just being under reported by the "mainstream media." The "Pendelton 8" have stood firm until the Corpman made a deal to testify against his compatriots. I don't think they are guilty based on the evidence of some terrorists? There hasn't been much invesitigation by the Military on this but they are still put in the brig. Something is Wrong. It took the Military MONTHS before Charges were even brought against these Marines as they were being held In shackles while Prisoners at Gitmo got more rights.
What?

People have been in Gitmo for years, not months, and have no prospect of being charged, let alone tried (or released).

You praise the 'Pendleton 8' for their solidarity, undermining as it does the 'evidence of some terrorists'. They happen to be guilty, according to the confession and testimony of the one that hasn't 'stood firm', and the 'terrorists' that were testifying against them appear to be ordinary people, who the 'Pendleton 8' wanted to appear as terrorists, to justify their alleged crimes. And all because they 'were incensed that a man who they were convinced was an insurgent had been let out of jail'.

You are right. Something is Wrong.
Chris. T.

bstone
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2006, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
One solution.

(Picture is of the Thunderdome at Burning Man)
This very dome was used for almost 8 months in the Gulf Coast as a large area for people to eat food. I was in that dome for months and months.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Forum Links
Forum Rules