Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > General Questions

General Questions
christ
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2001, 06:42 AM

OK - stupid question. I have a new 533DP which goes like the wind, and I love it to death, but I have a few questions about it.

1) How do I tell anything about the graphics card? Apple Sytem Profiler doesn't mention it, and there is no access to anything to look at it. I assume that it is the nVidia that I ordered, but as there are a shitpotfull of both ATI and nVidia extensions in my System folder, do I have to open the case and look? How would I tell which firmware is installed in the card, or even how much RAM is on it (assuming that I don't believe the spec).

2) Which versions of Virtual PC and Virtual Game Station will work on it? I have VPC 2.1 which refuses to load, and VGS 1.1 (and the 1.2 upgrade) which are very temperamental.

3) How do I tell if the second processor has even got out of its shrinkwrap? (ASP says that it's there, not that you couldn't tell from the size of the heatsink!) I don't have OS X with its clever monitors and stuff, I'm running the 9.1 that came with the machine - is there anything that I can run that monitors (and shows me) processor loading on the two processors?
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2001, 09:39 AM

Congrats on your purchase! I really love my dual 533 and I'm sure you will, too.

To tell the type of video card, the easiest way is to examine the barcode label on the back of the machine. It's right under the power input. That label lists nearly everything about the original configuration of your machine. Somewhere in there mine says "ATI", yours should say "NVIDA". In the Apple System Profiler click on "Devices and Volumes" then on the little triangle next to "Display Card". That should also tell you which you have.

I have not been able to find a program to show the loading on both CPU's under 9.1 yet. If anyone has a link to one, please let me know.

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2001, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by christ:
3) How do I tell if the second processor has even got out of its shrinkwrap? (ASP says that it's there, not that you couldn't tell from the size of the heatsink!) I don't have OS X with its clever monitors and stuff, I'm running the 9.1 that came with the machine - is there anything that I can run that monitors (and shows me) processor loading on the two processors?
os 9.1 dosent even use the second proccesor, so unless you have software that support MP the second proccessor pretty much sits there, thers really no point in getting something like that, just get OSX

christ  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2001, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by Jsnuff1:
os 9.1 dosent even use the second proccesor
So what _has_ been using the second processor in all of these dual 450 and 500 machines? My understanding was that the OS did some processor management at least .

But whee doggie - that means that when I put X on this mufu it'll get e'en quicker yet! Lucky me!

Chris. T.

Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2001, 05:12 PM

So what _has_ been using the second processor in all of these dual 450 and 500 machines? My understanding was that the OS did some processor management at least .
Nope, OS9 does NOT use the second chip at all.
The Apps that use it are:

Photoshop mostly
SoundJam and probibly iTunes
A few other rendering type software like Moviecleaner.

If you want that second chip to be used, get OSX that uses it alot more.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

CubieDubbie
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2001, 06:02 PM

You will most likely need version 4 now, as thats whats being shipped these days anyway. You can upgrade but, I have no idea what it costs. Call Connectix and they can tell you or check their web site for further information. There is an upgrade patch out already for version 4. It's on the Connectix web site as version 4.02. Better usb support and a whole host of other bug fixes nd additions. Oh I did not see how much menory you got with your new computer but, Virtual PC 4 likes a lot of real memory and the more the better.

NickKohn
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2001, 06:19 PM

1) How do I tell anything about the graphics card? Apple Sytem Profiler doesn't mention it,
Yes, Apple System Profiler will tell you which card you have. Just goto "Devices and Volumes" and click on "Display Card". Won't tell you the firmware version, but if you're not sure what version you have, just d/l the new update and try to run it. It'll either install or tell you that you already have the latest version.

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2001, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Nope, OS9 does NOT use the second chip at all.
The Apps that use it are:

Photoshop mostly
SoundJam and probibly iTunes
A few other rendering type software like Moviecleaner.

If you want that second chip to be used, get OSX that uses it alot more.

Sorry, but OS 9.1 DOES utilize the second CPU somewhat (not anywhere near the full potential of OS X, though).

For a somewhat large list of MP- and Altivec-aware software check: http://www.sciencequest.org/support/...p_tracker.html

[This message has been edited by TheDoctor (edited 04-20-2001).]

AirSluf
Senior User
Apr 21, 2001, 01:42 AM

It's all semantics. The OS(9) does not use the 2nd processor, but if an app is specifically configured for MP ops then it will be allowed to access the second processor. Otherwise it just sits there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules