Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > A good camera (DSLR?) for 1080p video?

A good camera (DSLR?) for 1080p video?
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 1, 2015, 01:34 AM

I want to be able to take decent quality 1080p video. Simple stuff I can edit in iMovie and dump to YouTube.

I assume something like this would be the cheapest and easy route.

But I also like the idea of using a DSLR for the ability to swap lenses and make something a little fancier (I'm so fancy).

What should I look for and what should I expect to spend?

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2015, 02:51 AM

Canon 5D.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2015, 03:02 AM

For cheap and easy—personally—I would take the entry level gopro over what you linked to. But for quality, nothin beats DSLR.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2015, 03:09 AM

Also keep in mind that on camera mics are usually shite. Do yourself a favor—especially if you shoot outdoors—and get a cheap mini shotgun mic and windscreen.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2015, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
What should I look for and what should I expect to spend?
Don't just look at the price of an SLR, look at the prices of lenses. Not sure about movies, but with photos you start to get 'next-lens-itus' where you must absolutely have that f/1.4 35mm prime that costs about $1000. Then you end up with a bag that you carry around 3 or 4 lenses, filters, a flash or two, a small tripod, changer etc etc. It gets expensive fast.

I'm a Nikon fan but IIUC Canon are the kings of SLR video atm.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 1, 2015, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
For cheap and easy—personally—I would take the entry level gopro over what you linked to. But for quality, nothin beats DSLR.
I have a GoPro, but it's not what I'm looking for and at that price I think I could get a lot more camera, something better suited to my needs.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2015, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Don't just look at the price of an SLR, look at the prices of lenses.
I've found some deals on Craiglist - body and a couple lenses in the $400 range, something like this.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2015, 10:33 AM

Traditional DSLRs are big, heavy, and a bit of a headache when you're traveling. Check out the new Sony mirrorless DSLRs. They have the same performance in a much, much smaller form factor. I'm currently using the Sony A7, but the Sony A6000 checks in at a lower price with incredible video quality.

Sony A6000 (body only)

You can use adapters to use a very wide range of lenses, from classic film lenses to Leica lenses. There are even adapters that allow you to use Canon's lenses (with autofocus). I personally use a Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 most of the time, and it's a great, great lens.

Don't let the small size fool you. This is a DSLR. The only caveat is that it doesn't come with mic or headphone ports. You'd have to get something like the NEX-7.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2015, 11:00 AM

You'll want to stay away from anything like a fisheye lens on those cameras. Most still cameras use something like a 5% fisheye, and it shows when you pan around during video. I've had better luck with a Sony video camera than using a still camera that can take video.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2015, 01:03 PM

Something to remember about any mirrored options you pick.

AF gets gimped when the mirror flips up, and it's difficult to tell on a tiny screen whether things are sharp unless there's a focus peaking function.

Depending upon your use profile, this can be a real drag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_peaking
( Last edited by subego; Apr 1, 2015 at 01:15 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2015, 02:34 PM

What do you imagine taking video of?

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2015, 03:04 PM

Car stuff, garage projects, mostly. I started up the M3 last month and captured it via an iPhone in hand and an S5 precariously balanced on my workbench. I figure I could get something like this if I want to use a phone, but it'd also be nice to have something with better quality.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2015, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
You'll want to stay away from anything like a fisheye lens on those cameras. Most still cameras use something like a 5% fisheye, and it shows when you pan around during video. I've had better luck with a Sony video camera than using a still camera that can take video.
I have a Canon PS 300HS point and shoot which has a fairly wide angle lens. I've tried using it for shooting video, but it's weird about video length (cuts off after x number of minutes) so I can't trust it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2015, 03:20 PM

I'd guess the problem there is a filesystem with a 2 GB file limit.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2015, 03:33 PM

Never mind. Answered my own question.

P
Apr 1, 2015, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'd guess the problem there is a filesystem with a 2 GB file limit.
Could be. If so, the fix is easy - reformat the memory card to use exFAT, or get a new card that uses the SDXC standard (they come preformatted with exFAT). It appears from the specs that that camera supports SDXC, and exFAT is a mandatory feature of that specification.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2015, 08:55 AM

In all seriousness, the low end DSLRs aren't a million times better than a late iphone when it comes to shooting video. The image stabilization on the 6+ is astonishingly good. There are a bunch of apps out there that do an excellent job getting the most out of the iPhone sensor, with separate focus and exposure, audio monitoring, etc, etc.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2015, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Could be. If so, the fix is easy - reformat the memory card to use exFAT, or get a new card that uses the SDXC standard (they come preformatted with exFAT). It appears from the specs that that camera supports SDXC, and exFAT is a mandatory feature of that specification.
You know, now that I think about it, the camera may be using the filesystem limit as a means of protecting the sensor from overheating.

My Canon HG10 camcorder is exFAT compatible, but it's fine laying down back-to-back 2GB files which you then need to sew back together in the terminal.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2015, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
Canon 5D.
The MkIII has a quarter second lag (confirmed for me by Canon) between what's happening and what you see on the screen. If this is a problem, get a MKII.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2015, 11:34 AM

@Lam

I'm going to toss this back at you. How much do you want to spend on a new baby? I'd get you in the $4K range if left to my own devices.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2015, 01:08 PM

I looked at the 5D Mk II on your recommendation and it looks like those are going for around a grand. I'm not looking for something new or even something ideal, just something good enough. Like, a few hundred bucks at most. I have enough expensive toys, this would just be something to dick around with for the most part.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2015, 01:21 PM

There are a few reasons you probably don't want a MkII, but right off the bat it has the same issue as the 300HS.

Let me ruminate a bit.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2015, 01:40 PM

One of the reasons to consider a camcorder is they're light and balanced enough to use one of these:

Cardellini 494 - The Mini Cardellini Camera & Monitor Mount - Camera Support - Camera Filmtools

Those jaws can clamp around cylindrical objects as well as flat ones. All kinds of places in a garage you can mount it to... conduit, joists, workbench, the hood* of the car you're working on.

*This trick means the camera is upside down. I'm assuming you can flip stuff 180 in iMovie.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 4, 2015, 01:53 PM

In the camcorder department, I have a pair of Canon HG10s. They're the same camera TWiT uses. They're pretty friggin good.

Canon updated it, so I can't say if they messed something up along the way, but the new version is $1,200 or so.

Forum Links
Forum Rules