Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External displays

External displays
P
Jun 2, 2016, 06:59 AM

What are you all using for your external displays? Thinking about a 27" 4K if Apple every updates the MBP.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2016, 12:36 AM

Rumour is Apple are going to update their display soon.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

reader50
Administrator
Jun 3, 2016, 01:38 AM

I use a BenQ 32" x 4K. Ideally it would be a 5K at that size. I accepted the small loss of retina detail in exchange for the extra size.

Since my computer is my entertainment center, the larger screen works well for movies.

P  (op)
Aug 3, 2016, 12:18 PM

I just took delivery of the LG 27MU67, a 27" 4K display. My current MBA can only do 30Hz at full resolution, but the image is great at that res. No setup required, just connected the display and it switched to the right scaling and even found the right calibration profile without me even touching the settings. Impressive so far.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2016, 04:12 PM

I'm still on T-Bolt displays. I'm waiting for a big enough gig to upgrade monitor and computer. I may go iMac, though I'd so much rather buy a refreshed Power Mac.

OreoCookie
Aug 3, 2016, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
... though I'd so much rather buy a refreshed Power Mac.
You're going to have to wait a looooong time for an upgrade to the PowerMac.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2016, 08:35 AM

It was a long day yesterday.

P  (op)
Aug 4, 2016, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I'm still on T-Bolt displays. I'm waiting for a big enough gig to upgrade monitor and computer. I may go iMac, though I'd so much rather buy a refreshed Power Mac.
One advantage with using an external display and a computer on the floor is the fan noise. Even if the iMac is fairly quiet, especially when not pushing it hard, the fact that the fan is right in front of your face instead of in a box beneath the desk means that it is more noticeable. I've used iMacs for so long that all computers were loud before that, and switching now makes it a revelation.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2016, 05:33 PM

Or even better, in another room, which is how I built our recording studio.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2016, 09:09 AM

I have really enjoyed taking the plunge on a 21:9 34" 3440x1440 display. I use it with my rMBP and I don't even bother to use the 2nd screen. I connect it via Thunderbolt. I'm not a monitor nut, but I really do like this over what I used to do which was smaller dual monitors. I use Moom and divide the screen into thirds for long views and then cut that in half horizontally for smaller windows like Terminal.

I don't have the curved version. If I won the lotto, I'd probably get two curved 34" 21:9 and really go on the command center approach. I'd probably never leave the desk though.

Model: LG 34UM95

Forum Links
Forum Rules