Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Entourage X & msn.com or hotmail sending problem

Entourage X & msn.com or hotmail sending problem
amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2007, 08:04 PM

Entourage X is unable to send email via msn.com or hotmail as of April 1. The Microsoft explanation is that "critical server update" on April 1 disabled sending email in Entourage X, and that the "critical server update" is too important to back off of. The only Microsoft solution proposed in to upgrade to Entourage 2004, especially since Microsoft has declared Office X end-of-life.

Being cynical, I can't help but wonder if there isn't a more likely motive, namely forcing upgrade revenue? Who in their right mind would upgrade to Office 2004 at this point in time, with a new version on the horizon?

Anyway: does anyone have a solution or hack to allow Entourage X to work? Don't bother suggesting sending via gmail or the like, this is a widely used business account and that's too much disruption, period.

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2007, 12:13 PM

So, here's some links to discussions about this issue...

Entourage - Error Message 1412 - The macosxhints Forums
Entourage email issue - microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage | Google Groups

The upshot from my trying out various things: the proposed timezone file does NOT fix things. I very much doubt that the "critical server update" was related to the new daylight savings time problem. They would have updated their servers earlier and would have publicized the problem and solutions on their website.

From all accounts, Office 2004 works, but paying for an upgrade because of a problem generated by Microsoft itself is like swatting a gnat with an expensive yet soon-to-be-obsolete flyswatter.

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2007, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Entourage X is unable to send email via msn.com or hotmail as of April 1. The Microsoft explanation is that "critical server update" on April 1 disabled sending email in Entourage X, and that the "critical server update" is too important to back off of. The only Microsoft solution proposed in to upgrade to Entourage 2004, especially since Microsoft has declared Office X end-of-life.

Being cynical, I can't help but wonder if there isn't a more likely motive, namely forcing upgrade revenue? Who in their right mind would upgrade to Office 2004 at this point in time, with a new version on the horizon?

Anyway: does anyone have a solution or hack to allow Entourage X to work? Don't bother suggesting sending via gmail or the like, this is a widely used business account and that's too much disruption, period.
Who in their right mind would use msn.com? It would be far less problematic to have incoming msn account email to your own ISP/email address.

Forum Links
Forum Rules