Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Dead Space

Dead Space
klb5090
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2009, 10:10 PM

I'm unsure if a "Dead Space" thread ever existed but even if it did, this is the Bogues Offical.
Decided to pick this up (down to 28$ on Amazon), figured i'd post a "review"

Consensus: 8.9/10 - Thrilling 3rd person action, great weapons/upgrades, awesome atmosphere, slightly repetitive.

If your looking for an awesome action/shooter title (3rd person) this is it. Its classified as "Survival Horror" by most outlets but its more about the survival/action then the horror (there is a few parts where you'll say OH S***). The enemies are fun and the "dismemberment" is the most satisfying kill i've experienced since the first time i put a chainsaw into some one in Gears 1. The gameplay does get slightly repetitive (go here, hit this switch, collect this, come back, go here...) but the level design mixes it up enough that it doesn't get old quick. I'll also say so far (about 50% complete) i haven't experience that many different types of enemies but the ones i have are extremely well designed and original. Where it lacks in original mission design it makes up for in story, which involves collecting "Bioshock like" recordings/documents to uncover the real plot. The RPG elements for weapon/equipment/suit upgrades is nice (not to involved which i like). The fully integrated "suit HUD" creates a great sense of atmosphere without throwing all types of health/ammo/gun stats all over your screen. So far its a great game and i'm having a hard time putting it down. Anyone looking for a good game at a decent price until the fall explosion of releases, pick up Dead Space.

Anyone else play this, thoughts, opinions...
( Last edited by klb5090; Jul 28, 2009 at 11:02 PM. )

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2009, 03:07 AM

I had a feeling that you'd be talking about this game. It's all you've been playing since you beat Monkey Island (I beat that game too). I've always wanted to play Dead Space and $28 ain't a bad price. The new Gears 2 expansion came out today, so I think I'm gonna hit that up first.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2009, 12:24 PM

I played through it a while ago. Loved it. Mostly the overall feeling of the game. Its just a well done straight up shooter. Also loved the HUD interface and the upgrades available. Its even a lot of fun playing through a 2nd time with fully upgraded items.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2009, 05:48 PM

Really fun so far, with only one caveat...why, oh why, is there no look sensitivity slider? I guess having the main character move one speed does good things for the immersive experience, but some people (like me) can get tired wrists from slow sensitivity. Case in point: After several hours playing Fallout 3 on default sensitivity my wrists were killing me, even at max sensitivity I felt like my character was walking in molasses.

I don't see it as a huge problem in Dead Space, but is it so hard to have, like, 3 sensitivity levels?

klb5090  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2009, 09:33 AM

so fatty i see your chugging along through dead space, whats the consensus so far???
(by the way did you see the name i put on your envelope?)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2009, 10:32 AM

Yeah, pretty damned hilarious there Boguesy.

I'm really liking the game so far, it's a nice blend of feeling terrified of being eviscerated...yet confident enough in the power of my weapons. Some people said they didn't like the backtracking aspect of the game but I actually enjoy it, it breaks up the usual linear-feeling pathway of most games. The upgrade system is also very cool, and something I didn't expect at all from this game. Last, but not least, the Zero-G sections are pretty awesome, including the first 'boss' fight against the Leviathan.

All in all it's a solid B score from me so far.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 26, 2009, 11:41 AM

Do tell, fellas.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2009, 12:22 PM

Bogues sent the game to 'Sean McBlobicus" also the return addy was K Boguszewski...either that's also a joke or KB is really Polish.

klb5090  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2009, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Bogues sent the game to 'Sean McBlobicus" also the return addy was K Boguszewski...either that's also a joke or KB is really Polish.
Bogues is a pollock,
and Fatty really is a McBlobicus

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2009, 01:33 PM

Also, after several weapons I still prefer the first one you ever get, the Plasma Cutter. I have it upgraded fairly well and it's almost all I need.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2009, 01:49 PM

The Plasma Cutter is my favorite weapon as well. Aim for the legs and neck.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 26, 2009, 05:05 PM

Tell me one of your parents handed you the letter.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2009, 03:00 AM

Actually my father did ask why it said Sean McBlobicus, but no handing was involved.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 27, 2009, 09:11 AM

Sweet. I bet he was all like, "Why are you using your mother's maiden name?" or something.

Rogue15
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2009, 10:49 PM

I would love this game if it wouldn't black screen on me constantly. I'm using Windows XP on Boot Camp, and it's unplayable. I'm at the greenhouse level btw.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2009, 01:47 PM

It's really easy to beat the game with nothing more than the Plasma Cutter, which is a very doable achievement.

klb5090  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2009, 02:17 PM

It's really easy to beat the game with nothing more than the Plasma Cutter, which is a very doable achievement.
Easily, also if you wait till your second run with your level 6 suite/fully upgraded cutter, it would be a joke.

Forum Links
Forum Rules