Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > eMac, no install discs need some advice

eMac, no install discs need some advice
klb5090
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2008, 05:28 PM

Hey Everyone,
A good friend at work and i were talking about computers and it turned out he had an old eMac laying around that hasn't been used for over 2 years. I told him i'd throw him a couple bucks or a case of beer for it and took it home. He only had the computer itself and the power cable but no install discs. I booted it and got the famous login screen but i don't have the user name and password (my friend said he doesn't remember it) I was wondering what everyones advice is, i know i can buy some eMac install discs on ebay (25$?!?) but i'd rather not.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2008, 06:02 PM

eMacs can't run Leopard, right? Well, it only comes on DVD anyway, so I think you'd have to find a copy of Tiger (or earlier) and boot straight to the CD and start over. I checked the eBay prices for Tiger and they're above $50 so I'm guessing you want to ask around, see who upgraded and has an old copy of Tiger.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2008, 04:09 AM

I THINK, and don't quote me on it, but I think that most install discs should work just fine, even if it's not for the eMac. They may not let you install the OS, but you should be able to reset the password.

And yes, Leopard should run on eMacs.

If you want to, or got nothing to do, you can lug it down to one of the two Pittsburgh Apple stores and they can reset the password for you. Then you can create a new account and delete the original account on there.

klb5090  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2008, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by chipchen View Post
I THINK, and don't quote me on it, but I think that most install discs should work just fine, even if it's not for the eMac. They may not let you install the OS, but you should be able to reset the password.

And yes, Leopard should run on eMacs.

If you want to, or got nothing to do, you can lug it down to one of the two Pittsburgh Apple stores and they can reset the password for you. Then you can create a new account and delete the original account on there.
awesome thanks guys

Forum Links
Forum Rules