Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Just cancelled .mac, and feeling OK...

Just cancelled .mac, and feeling OK...
larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2007, 04:31 PM

My .mac membership came up for renewal today, and I decided not to renew... I didn't have the money to "waste"...

I think the main reason I didn't renew, was no announcement at Macworld that anything had changed. Maybe if the online storage was better and idisk wasn't as slow as molasses, I would keep it.
My Blog-pakos.me

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 06:29 PM

Good for you. I agree, it's a waste and I need to cancel on my next renewal. The only problem is that is my main email, and I'm not quite sure how to swtich to a new email address. Anyone have any tips?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2007, 06:40 PM

Proud of you.®

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2007, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Good for you. I agree, it's a waste and I need to cancel on my next renewal. The only problem is that is my main email, and I'm not quite sure how to swtich to a new email address. Anyone have any tips?
I find that the farther in advance you announce a change in e-mail address the better it goes. It also helps to have some overlap so you don't lose anything important in the transition.

As for me, I bought a .Mac membership because I was tired of having to manage all my other e-mail addresses that may or may not still be there, and now my .Mac e-mail is my main address ($100 a year is worth it for me) and I use a gmail address for spammy stuff (e-commerce, throwaway registrations, etc).

larrinski  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2007, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
I sent an email to all my friends & family with my new address(obvious), and use my ISPs email offering. I have had .mac forward my email for months to a gmail account, and was able to go back to see what sites I had given the .mac account.

Make sure to change forum accounts, ebay, paypal etc... before the switch.

I only have 2 computers, so the .mac syncing wasn't too important.
My Blog-pakos.me

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by larrinski View Post
My .mac membership came up for renewal today, and I decided not to renew... I didn't have the money to "waste"...
~$8/month

JRobinson
Jan 24, 2007, 03:06 AM

$6.25/month if you buy .Mac from Amazon (I did yesterday). However, I just like the convenience of it. Some people are willing to work harder so they can save $75 a year. I'm just not one of those people, I guess.

larrinski  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel View Post
~$8/month
If I could be billed $8/month that would be great. However, up in Canada, it is $135 all at once. It would have to go on the credit card. That is what I meant...
My Blog-pakos.me

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 11:27 AM

Considering I pay a hair more per month for 200 times as much storage and effectively unlimited transfer per month, with shell access, mail, jabber, easy install of a bunch of nice services, etc... .Mac seems like a total ripoff.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2007, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by JRobinson View Post
$6.25/month if you buy .Mac from Amazon (I did yesterday). However, I just like the convenience of it. Some people are willing to work harder so they can save $75 a year. I'm just not one of those people, I guess.
What kind of "hard work" is involved in a Web host with better speeds, more services and more space?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2007, 12:56 PM

You go, girl.

King Chung Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2007, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
What kind of "hard work" is involved in a Web host with better speeds, more services and more space?
It wouldn't be integrated with all the iApps, plus you'd be missing Sync Services among other things.

Harry Schaefer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2007, 08:59 PM

I guess I like the convenience of having a mail server for sending when I am away from my home cable connections. Maybe there are better solutions but at the cost this works for me. It is also good for syncing publishing calendars and have large files available on a server for others to access. Maybe others have found better and cheaper solutions observations would be appreciated

Thorzdad
Jan 29, 2007, 12:15 PM

I dropped .Mac last summer and have never missed it.

The iApps integration was never a big deal for me, and certainly not worth $99/yr. As for email, I have my cable ISP (available anywhere I travel) or Gmail. I find the idea of using a remote server to store important documents a bit scary. I much prefer local storage.
As for file transfers to clients or friends...I prefer to use any of the online temporary services such as YouSendIt. The recipients have 7 days in which to grab the files. More than plenty of time. And, if I need to take a file somewhere remote, I simply drop it onto my 1gig thumb drive and head out.

Z's Mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2007, 01:34 PM

What made you all sign up for it to begin with? I never signed up.

Thorzdad
Jan 29, 2007, 01:40 PM

I got it free when I bought my G5 and Cinema Display. The sales guy threw in a one-year subscription. I just forgot to cancel it when the first renewal came up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules