Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > How to restore your startup disk to a single partition

How to restore your startup disk to a single partition
bradoz71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2006, 09:57 AM

So ive got bootcamp, and the XP disk, and im desperate to get XP up and running on my iMac!

But alas, im having troubles with the fact of my startup disk being in two partions! This is my first mac ever, and ive only had it a good two months so im still learning a good lot about them and how they tick. Ive looked around the forum and found no real answer or guide to how to restore my startup disk into one partion.

Can anyone plz help?

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
May 4, 2006, 08:42 PM

I don't have any experience with this myself, but I think what you're supposed to do is boot up into disk utility (hold D during startup with the OS X disk in the drive). Failing that, what did you use to divide it into two partitions in the first place? Chances are that tool can also change it back.

Back up your data before you try anything.
iPod nano 3G 16GB
MacBook Pro 1.83 / 100 GB 5400 RPM / 1.5 GB

bradoz71  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2006, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Barefoot Matt
I don't have any experience with this myself, but I think what you're supposed to do is boot up into disk utility (hold D during startup with the OS X disk in the drive). Failing that, what did you use to divide it into two partitions in the first place? Chances are that tool can also change it back.

Back up your data before you try anything.
I didnt partion mine, it must have done it itself cause i cant recall it asking my if i wanted it partioned or not during set up

Ill give what ya said a try ^^

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 5, 2006, 07:29 AM

The only way I know to get back to a single partition is to boot up from the osx install disk by holding the C key. I haven't tried (or heard of ) holding the D key.

If you reboot with the install disc then follow these steps.
Once booted into the install, select from the tools menu, disk utility,
select the disk, and click on partition.
From the partition screen, select a single partition.
Click the options button, make sure the GUID partition type is selected (not sure if bootcamp changes this)
Click partition
Close the disk utility
Start reinstalling OSX

As you probably already guess the above operation will create a single partition but it will wipe out any data you have as it will reformat your hard drive after it re-partitioned the drive.

If you reboot with the install disk in the drive holding down the D key, this doesn't get you anywhere. If you repartition the drive, you lose the ability to boot into it, you also lose your data and you need to reboot and hold the C key to reinstall OSX.

Mike
~Mike

ghporter
Administrator
May 5, 2006, 09:34 AM

Boot Camp seems to like being in charge of partitioning the drive. It's written with the assumption that your Mac is set up like it came from the factory, so it expects to find one partition and (so far as I've seen reported) refuses to work if it finds the drive already partitioned.

Sorry.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bradoz71  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
The only way I know to get back to a single partition is to boot up from the osx install disk by holding the C key. I haven't tried (or heard of ) holding the D key.

If you reboot with the install disc then follow these steps.
Once booted into the install, select from the tools menu, disk utility,
select the disk, and click on partition.
From the partition screen, select a single partition.
Click the options button, make sure the GUID partition type is selected (not sure if bootcamp changes this)
Click partition
Close the disk utility
Start reinstalling OSX

As you probably already guess the above operation will create a single partition but it will wipe out any data you have as it will reformat your hard drive after it re-partitioned the drive.

If you reboot with the install disk in the drive holding down the D key, this doesn't get you anywhere. If you repartition the drive, you lose the ability to boot into it, you also lose your data and you need to reboot and hold the C key to reinstall OSX.

Mike

So are ya advising against me re-partioning my start-up disk to a single partion?

Forum Links
Forum Rules