Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > So, Ventura? Yes/No, Why?

So, Ventura? Yes/No, Why?
ghporter
Administrator
Mar 31, 2023, 09:11 PM

I'm still running Big Sur on my 2015 Retina MBP, and my wife's M1 MBA is running whatever it came with a year ago. Should we upgrade to Ventura?

Discuss please, with pros and cons.

At this point everything is working fine with both of our machines, with no issues regarding speed, capability, etc.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2023, 04:21 PM

Not quite the answer you are looking for, but I like Monterey a lot. The big pro is it’s mature. However, I assume hoops need to jumped through to get it.

I only used Big Sur for a day and hated it. It’s fug. That’s the other pro of Monterey: it’s pretty.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Apr 3, 2023, 11:48 AM

I get what you’re saying. I’m not really harshed by Big Sur’s aesthetics, but I do have an unpleasant history of letting myself get way behind on the OS front, and that means a steep learning curve (“where the heck did they put that command?”)

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2023, 12:34 AM

I had to upgrade for shared iCloud Libraries. Coming from Sierra if was pretty jarring but… it’s… fine?

OreoCookie
Apr 5, 2023, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Should we upgrade to Ventura?

Discuss please, with pros and cons.
Yes, definitely!
I recently had to downgrade to a machine that is stuck on Big Sur (a Late 2013 13" MacBook Pro), and I noticed lack of support for various things, including Safari Technology Preview (my default secondary browser) and the like.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2023, 10:53 AM

I could understand not wanting to update to Catalina, due to the dropping of 32-bit app support, but if you're already on the other side of that, why not? The user experience really isn't that much different, barring some small but really welcome refinements like automatically resizing windows that you drag to another screen. And of course there are bug fixes and nifty new APIs for devs on the back-end, and it's also free and doesn't cost anything like these used to. Why avoid upgrading?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Apr 11, 2023, 07:29 PM

It sounds like I need to schedule some time to update both of our machines. Thanks for the inputs. Particularly yours, Charles. You hit the marks I had needed hit - though I couldn’t have named them when I asked the question.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2023, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Why avoid upgrading?
For me, I resist upgrading because of the chance it’ll break something important. Usually something third-party.

If I’m in the middle of a project, everything gets locked down until it’s done.

“Do not replace engine while plane is in flight.”

Gregg
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2023, 08:52 AM

I waited for 13.2 before upgrading. No problems yet! I stayed with Mojave for a long time because of the 64-bit transition, but went for it on Monterey. After that, there's no reason for me to not upgrade, but I still wait for bug fixes first.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Forum Links
Forum Rules