Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What social networks do you use / like?

What social networks do you use / like?
design219
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2011, 01:49 PM

I'm losing interest in facebook, but I still check in every few days.
I'm on Google+, but it seems to be facebook with color.
I've never understood the interest in twitter... tried it for a while and just didn't see the point.
I'm on foursquare, but don't bother with it much.
I love Instagram, and enjoy it (for now)
This, and a couple other forums are still interesting.
There are about 3 blogs I follow.

How about you?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Thorzdad
Oct 1, 2011, 02:38 PM

I got a Facebook account long ago, but never use it unless I absolutely have to (if a family member contacts me through it, for instance). The same with Twitter...got an account a long time ago, but rarely, rarely, rarely use it. I'm staying far away from Google+, 'cause, well, it's Google. I have no desire to feed the beast any more than is unavoidable.

Overall, I've just not seen the need for any of them. I'm not interested in the hourly comings-and-goings or thought-farts of friends and family, and I'm pretty sure they aren't interested in mine. If I actually need to speak with them, I use the phone or email.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2011, 03:36 PM

None at all.

calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2011, 03:43 PM

You won't find me on Facebook, my Google+ is something I only joined because I got an early invite and haven't touched since.

However, there is this social network I have been a part of for the past few years: Real Life.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2011, 04:44 PM

Never did Facebook or MySpace or Twitter, but LinkedIn seems to be THE thing to do for work. Dunno why.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2011, 07:04 PM

Facebook

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2011, 07:08 PM

MacNN.

Sealobo
Oct 1, 2011, 08:11 PM

me so sad no one mentioned Friendster yet.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2011, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
None at all.
Same here.

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Never did Facebook or MySpace or Twitter, but LinkedIn seems to be THE thing to do for work. Dunno why.
Yeah, I have never joined Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, Google+, etc. Well, I did join LinkedIn at one point but then decided it was a total waste of time. I never use it, and when I get requests to link together, I just decline them. If they're someone I know well, I just fire off an email to them to say I don't use LinkedIn.

Mind you I don't use instant messaging either. The beauty of email is nobody knows if you're online or not. You control if and when you respond.

I use text messaging with my contractor and a couple of family members and a few close friends. I send maybe 25-50 messages a month.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2011, 09:48 PM

Somehow I'm not surprised that so many of you are too cool for school when it comes to social networks.

I use Facebook since everybody else on the planet with an internet connection does (Except a few of you obviously) and Twitter and thats about it. I really like Twitter actually. You can dip in and out of it without getting bombarded with all the crap you get on Facebook and its a very good way to get information if you follow the right people. Twitter is also good for talking to celebrities that you wouldn't normally be able to contact easily without having to stalk them.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2011, 10:17 PM

I have a Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, and Google+ account. I don't like Facebook or Google+, but I do enjoy Twitter. It's a great way to get short messages related to subjects that I'm interested in such as aviation, etc.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2011, 10:38 PM

Friendface

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2011, 10:51 PM

Twitter. I shower abuse on select people, and get it back in return. It's fun.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2011, 11:38 PM

Facebook (because every one I know is on it)
Google+ (had hoped to use it more but every one that joined lost interest because every one stayed on facebook)
Twitter (Took a while before I actually started using it)
Foursquare
Nexopia
MySpace
xFire
Steam
Origin
LinkedIn

Not really social networks per say but I count them as
Flickr
Youtube
Vimeo
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2011, 12:41 AM

If MySpace and facebook joined forces, would you come on MyFace?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2011, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by calverson View Post
If MySpace and facebook joined forces, would you come on MyFace?

What if there was also a social network called "Fart" that merged with them too? Then you'd have "MyFartFace"

calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2011, 12:56 AM

Would you Fart on MyFace?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2011, 08:57 AM

What social networks do I like? Twitter. And Twitter. Also Twitter. I used to casually enjoy Facebook until I got tired of it and later kicked off, as I've mentioned here in the past.

Even though Twitter is far more limited, the limitations are actually empowering in my view. I have far more Twitter followers in a year than I did in a few years of Facebook - probably on an order of magnitude. I can say my peace in 140 and move on. I also don't have to worry about privacy issues on Twitter like one does on Facebook. Everything I put on Twitter, from my short profile to each one of my tweets, I want the whole world to see. Not so with Facebook, wherein you're encouraged to put many more details about your life but cannot trust that random new friend or any of Facebook's other privacy busting shenanigans.

Moreover, as mitch pointed out, I've found that Twitter is an invaluable resource of news and views from a variety of sources that I can't get aggregated and live from anywhere else. Sure, some tweets are trivial, but that's okay as long as most of the accounts you're following aren't really dumb. I learned about the termination of bin Laden first on Twitter, and I get so many valuable articles and breaking news, and interesting editorials from it. I've also gotten personal correspondence from some important people that I otherwise probably never would get in any other way. I love Twitter. I can't wait to see how the service matures in the years ahead; I hope the quality and narrow feature focus is maintained.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2011, 09:27 AM

I use Facebook, and I like it.
What social networks do I like? Twitter. And Twitter. Also Twitter.
Twitter seems like a place to stalk celebrities and hear news early. It just doesn't feel very social to me.
I used to casually enjoy Facebook until I got tired of it and later kicked off, as I've mentioned here in the past.
I'd like to hear this tale.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2011, 10:56 AM

I've actually gained tons of virtual friends on Twitter, people whom I really like hearing from in my feed and would really like to have a beer with. The celebrity stalking aspect isn't important to me at all.

I'll PM you with a link to my facebook tale. . . Abbreviated, it's related to political censorship. I'm thankful that Twitter seems to only go after accounts that spoof celebrities or ones that are obvious spammers/bots, for those most part, and allows for very robust free speech otherwise.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

rambo47
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2011, 11:20 AM

LinkedIn is the only one I use regularly. Facebook is tedious and filled with utter crapola. I only signed up for Facebook on the urging of a friend who wanted me to see his family vacation photos as FB was the only place he could host them at the time. Sheesh, I never should have looked!

rambo47
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Overall, I've just not seen the need for any of them. I'm not interested in the hourly comings-and-goings or thought-farts of friends and family, and I'm pretty sure they aren't interested in mine. If I actually need to speak with them, I use the phone or email.
You and me both! We're part of a vanishing breed that doesn't hesitate to pick up a phone and actually TALK to somebody. I guess we're a couple of throwbacks. I also don't speak "text speak" and will simply walk away from anyone doing so.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2011, 11:41 AM

I use Facebook and Twitter, and goof around with Google+ every once in a while. My reasons for each is different:

Facebook
- Everyone and their mother is on it.
- I book between 50-75% of my photography business from tagging customers and their friends/family seeing it.
- It's the easiest way to communicate en masse with my students, family, and friends.

Twitter
- Banter between myself and friends. You could text friends, but the conversational tools Twitter provides are unique.
- I find the Twitter crowd to have more interesting things to say than Facebook users (for the most part).
- Most aren't worth following, but some prominent public figures give out some good info on Twitter (Bill Simmons from ESPN and Notch from Mojang are good examples).
- The 140-character limit is a Godsend.

Google+
- The interface is clean, pretty, and altogether better than Facebook's.
- I'm just curious, so I'm sticking around to see how it does, although I'm not really using it.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2011, 04:21 PM

I have a lot of my stuff linked together too. My twitter is linked to my facebook so anything that is tweeted ends up on my facebook. Everything else i use goes to twitter like youtube when I add a video, foursquares when I check in, and other social networks and programs. Because a lot of sites have a tweet button for new stories to share the story and make a short comment I use that a lot too. So because all my tweets end up on my facebook to I don't have to post things twice by going through twitter.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2011, 10:09 PM

Meetup

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2011, 09:52 AM

I'm waiting for anti-social networks to grow in popularity.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Last I checked, the internet was reasonably popular.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2011, 10:37 AM

touché

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Last I checked, the internet was reasonably popular.
touché

Ker-pow

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2011, 12:38 PM

Perhaps you would be interested in my newsletter.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Perhaps you would be interested in my newsletter.

I'm already a subscriber!

btw that particular tin foil hat appears to be too thin - RF will go right though that and turn your mind to mush in seconds.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2011, 01:04 PM

has any one ever tried going a entire 2 weeks with no internet usage at all? No email, no internet tv, no skype, no chat no forums just no internet?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2011, 01:21 PM

No. I think I'd die.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
has any one ever tried going a entire 2 weeks with no internet usage at all? No email, no internet tv, no skype, no chat no forums just no internet?
I was recently in Tokyo. Couldn't find Wifi anywhere (no free wifi), had to take a train to an internet cafe to get email. I just couldn't get past 48hrs without checking shit. Effin aweful.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
I go one day of every week with no internet (or phone, computer, or anything else electronic) and it isn't so difficult.

I can't believe I'm in the minority here in that I both use and enjoy Facebook. It isn't a substitution for talking to people in real life or on the phone, it is a supplement. I use an many voice minutes per month now as I did before I got Facebook.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2011, 03:00 PM

1 day isn't 2 weeks

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2011, 03:11 PM

I went over a week without internet when I went to Botswana back in 2006. Not much wifi on the Okavango Delta. Probably is now though.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2011, 03:39 PM

None. Most are a complete waste of time. Those who spend time are boring and sad.

calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2011, 04:47 PM

For a small while I was bigtime into FB–although it was more "post pics of yourself getting drunk with hot chicks" than a social network.

I actually a couple weeks back "deactivated" my account. Although I am sure all my information, emails, photos etc. are still sitting on FB's server somewhere.

calverson
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2011, 05:03 PM

Actually, does vBulletin count?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by calverson View Post
For a small while I was bigtime into FB–although it was more "post pics of yourself getting drunk with hot chicks" than a social network.

I actually a couple weeks back "deactivated" my account. Although I am sure all my information, emails, photos etc. are still sitting on FB's server somewhere.
They sit there for two weeks and if you don't log back in, then you're gone forever.

Forum Links
Forum Rules