Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Other issues future ShapeShifter versions can fix?...

Other issues future ShapeShifter versions can fix?...
CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2003, 06:43 PM

ShapeShifter is quite amazing, and I'm thrilled to death to see that it brings a solution to the text color issue, as well as many other major issues (the new Finder in particular).

Now, I was in the middle of testing my Panther build of FatalE (which I hope to have done end of month) and I came across an issue that has existed in Jaguar. I was hoping SS would fix it but it doesn't, and I didn't really expect it to because I don't know if many people are aware of the problem, so I'll explain...

Back in Jag days, I made a custom Brushed Metal interface for FatalE. However, it required using oversized "Brushed Metal Bevel" PXM's to acheive an emulated titlebar look. The problem with this is that in Cocoa Metal apps, the Bevel PXM's cover-up the titlebar text:

So, the purpose of this thread is to bring any other inconsistencies or issues that themers come across while developing themes to our attention and maybe in future versions of ShapeShifter solutions or workarounds can be coded-in in a similar fashion that they were for resolving the various Panther Finder and global text issues.

Later
//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

leeeo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 07:07 PM

can't wait for your theme Carbon. To change the subject a bit. I must say you always had the best screenshots over at deskmod. Kinda wish you could still post them. Dam Deskmod, I really miss it.

CarbonG4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2003, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by leeeo:
... Kinda wish you could still post them. Dam Deskmod, I really miss it.
I hear ya, I really miss DeskMod

Thanks for the kind words
//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2003, 08:21 PM

Maybe this "feature" can be fixed:

This is what my menubar looks like when running ShapeShifter

This is what it looks like when ShapeShifter is off:

Maybe there's a way to fix this?
( Last edited by Dale Sorel; Nov 18, 2003 at 11:42 PM. )

solidfox
Nov 18, 2003, 09:32 PM

There are things that annoy me regarding transparency, most people know you can't make the menubar transparent 'cause there's nothing under it.
Same goes for the toolbar (only there IS something under it, something white) and the scrollbar...and every other part of the window that isn't the toolbar.

Mmmm...that's that. Well guess it's hard to solve though.

Btw. FatalE for panther sounds great...I've been tearing my hair off in frustration...

H * � �
Nov 19, 2003, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by Dale Sorel:
Maybe this "feature" can be fixed:

Yes, that and the extra pixel running along the bottom of the menu bar need to be removed.
This line of grey pixels shadows anything that's snug up against the menu bar.
I had to switch back to ThemeChanger.

smeger
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by H * � �:
Yes, that and the extra pixel running along the bottom of the menu bar need to be removed.
This line of grey pixels shadows anything that's snug up against the menu bar.
I had to switch back to ThemeChanger.
You can fix the shadow issue with non-Apple menu extras by dragging the associated apps into ShapeShifter's Exclude List section. The shadow issue will be fixed in a future release - it's caused by some design compromises we made in order to get 1.0 to the public in a timely fashion.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
You can fix the shadow issue with non-Apple menu extras by dragging the associated apps into ShapeShifter's Exclude List section. The shadow issue will be fixed in a future release - it's caused by some design compromises we made in order to get 1.0 to the public in a timely fashion.
Ya I tried it on Synergy, it looks and works fine now.
click one

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2003, 08:21 PM

I did that, but one in particular is still fuzzy, even in the exclude list: weatherpop advance.
Any ideas? Something would be appreciated.

Plus, will it all be worked out soon?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

smeger
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by Stuphalina:
Plus, will it all be worked out soon?
It's a very high priority.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2003, 08:19 AM

Thanks!
Smeger and the rest, you guys are great. Somehow I will try to get my $20 to you guys.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

ArcticBear
Nov 20, 2003, 11:02 AM

I tried out the EYLO theme and even after a logout I have the Aqua gumdrops showing through. Somehow I don't think that was intended. Other themes seems to have their proper widgets but they are more Aqua-placed/shaped to begin with.

Is this because I'm running ShapeShifter under 10.2.8 and not 10.3? Is it fixable for Jaguar? Can I do anything to fix it save upgrading for now?

smeger
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by ArcticBear:
I tried out the EYLO theme and even after a logout I have the Aqua gumdrops showing through. Somehow I don't think that was intended. Other themes seems to have their proper widgets but they are more Aqua-placed/shaped to begin with.

Is this because I'm running ShapeShifter under 10.2.8 and not 10.3? Is it fixable for Jaguar? Can I do anything to fix it save upgrading for now?
Yes, it's because you're running Jaguar. You can either hope that Max releases a Jag-compatible version (unlikely) or tweak it yourself using ThemePark (requires patience).

Forum Links
Forum Rules