Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] Aluminum Alloy is ready for Panther!

[ANN] Aluminum Alloy is ready for Panther!
bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Nov 19, 2003, 10:07 AM

Get it from my homepage.

Feel free to post any problems or bugs.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2003, 10:28 AM

Like it. Thanks for the update
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Lefo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 10:41 AM

I like the original better, but that's just me.

BB

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Nov 19, 2003, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Lefo:
I like the original better, but that's just me.

BB
Don't understand - nothing has changed dramatically.

memento
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 10:53 AM

I've been waiting for this one. Will try it tonight.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2003, 11:44 AM

benign
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 11:57 AM

Boozo's formidable talent at theming is
legendary and I appreciate his struggle with
trying to find beauty or a useable design.

Simple Empire...

Lefo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 11:59 AM

Hm, the subject didn't carry over to explain why I liked the original better. The title bar in the original looks great. The new preview show a flat window...I thought it looked a lot slicker with the beveled title bar.

BB

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2003, 12:05 PM

Hm, the subject didn't carry over to explain why I liked the original better. The title bar in the original looks great. The new preview show a flat window...I thought it looked a lot slicker with the beveled title bar.

BB
well, that's the "brushed metal" style window. You can get rid of that if you use metafilizer, as you can see in the screenshot I linked above.

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 12:06 PM

BB
That's a Brushed Metal Finder window, not a regular window.

Thank you Max, been waiting for this one. I actually turned Metal back on for the Finder. With this theme, it looks great

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 01:41 PM

Ooooo I never really used it on Jag, my brother didn't like it and since Shape Shifter is out I can have my own theme on my own account!
click one

palmberg
Senior User
Nov 19, 2003, 03:19 PM

Hmm. It's nice. Thanks for making it.

I'm new to all this themes stuff, but I think if there were a hybrid between this theme and the iPod theme, I'd be in hog heaven. Something about the "buttons" in the menubar here is a little clunky for me.

This is on a 900MHz iBook.
I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its words can affect me.

foad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by codywalton:
well, that's the "brushed metal" style window. You can get rid of that if you use metafilizer, as you can see in the screenshot I linked above.
Is there a version of Metallifizer that works with Panther? On unsanity's site there is no mention besides it being in testing. Also is Fruitmenu ready for panther yet? thanks in advance!

palmberg
Senior User
Nov 19, 2003, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by foad:
Is there a version of Metallifizer that works with Panther? On unsanity's site there is no mention besides it being in testing. Also is Fruitmenu ready for panther yet? thanks in advance!
I'm using Metallifizer under Panther now, but it don't de-metallifize everything (iTunes, por ejemplo).

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2003, 04:02 PM

You leave instructions to double-click to install, but this won't copy the theme to your HD. For me anyway. They should still go to /Library/Themes/, right?

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2003, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by foad:
There is an alpha version of metafilizer that is panther compatable. look in the news archives of unsanity.org for a link.

and metafilizer will NEVER be able to de-metafilize itunes or quicktime becuase the use special proprietary interfaces. sorry.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2003, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by rhythmicmoose:
You leave instructions to double-click to install, but this won't copy the theme to your HD. For me anyway. They should still go to /Library/Themes/, right?
from what I understand you can put them anywhere. I still put mine in library/themes/ just for consistancy sake, and becuase SS automatically scans that folder for new themes.

rezonate
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 04:20 PM

Hi,

I'm having trouble with getting the Metal Finder to change, and it's the same with other themes, it kinda just looks like Metal window without the texture, just grey. Any ideas?

Cheers
Over 100,000 Iraqis -dead. Over 200,000 Afganis - dead. and counting...
All dead based on lies fed to an uninformed public, to manipulate them into not seeing the true agenda. All dead in the name of protecting US interests. Not one single thing these hypocrites tells us is based on truth. Not one thing.

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by rezonate:
Hi,

I'm having trouble with getting the Metal Finder to change, and it's the same with other themes, it kinda just looks like Metal window without the texture, just grey. Any ideas?

Cheers
Yes, you need to use metifalizer, you can find an alpha that works with panther at unsanity. Once you demetalifize it, it will be aqua and match the rest of the theme you are using.

cxddesign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 04:54 PM

I'm using it now, I think i'll be switching off between this and SS Studio Pro, I like both very much. Definitely the smog configuration.

rezonate
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by Fellow2000:
Yes, you need to use metifalizer, you can find an alpha that works with panther at unsanity. Once you demetalifize it, it will be aqua and match the rest of the theme you are using.
Thanks. I've got metallifizer installed, but have it set to not touch the Finder, was kinda hoping I could get the theme to work with the metal finder shape.
Over 100,000 Iraqis -dead. Over 200,000 Afganis - dead. and counting...
All dead based on lies fed to an uninformed public, to manipulate them into not seeing the true agenda. All dead in the name of protecting US interests. Not one single thing these hypocrites tells us is based on truth. Not one thing.

H * � �
Nov 19, 2003, 06:03 PM

Thanks Max.
What I really need though is a square window smooth stripes theme.

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2003, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by palmberg:
I'm using Metallifizer under Panther now, but it don't de-metallifize everything (iTunes, por ejemplo).
Well I can't get shapeshifter to theme iTunes either...

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2003, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Bobby:
Well I can't get shapeshifter to theme iTunes either...
I'm surprised people are still trying to do this. Nothing can theme iTunes or Quicktime because they don't use the same GUI resources are every other app. Period. I know it sucks that we can't have a 100% consistant interface, but that's the way it is. Complain to Apple.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2003, 08:35 PM

All of a sudden, text anti-aliasing is not working anymore with this theme applied.

Everything just gets ugly gray outlines.

It might be a theme issue, or just a ShapeShifter bug.

Anyone have any ideas?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2003, 10:40 PM

I'm surprised people are still trying to do this. Nothing can theme iTunes or Quicktime because they don't use the same GUI resources are every other app. Period. I know it sucks that we can't have a 100% consistant interface, but that's the way it is. Complain to Apple.

Titanium6 contains iTunes and Quicktime themes that make them match the rest of the GUI.

http://www.resexcellence.com/themes/

[/B][/QUOTE]

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

smeger
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2003, 03:38 AM

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:
All of a sudden, text anti-aliasing is not working anymore with this theme applied.

Everything just gets ugly gray outlines.

It might be a theme issue, or just a ShapeShifter bug.

Anyone have any ideas?
I think it might actually be a Panther bug. Does the problem go away after a reboot?
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2003, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:
Titanium6 contains iTunes and Quicktime themes that make them match the rest of the GUI.

http://www.resexcellence.com/themes/

[/B][/QUOTE]
But those are seperate installs or hacks included with the theme, correct? What I meant was there is no singular theme file anywhere that contains the ability to theme iTunes or Quicktime by itself.

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2003, 01:26 PM

Same with iPhoto and iMovie. BTW I can excuse QT and iTunes because they're Carbon and Carbon doesn't support stadnard brushed metal, but iPhoto and iMovie 3 (which are Cocoa) can't be excused. Aaargh. And P.S. iTunes can be skinned (look at resexcellence > iTunes skins) but it's a whole different ball game: instead of replacing or doing whatever SS does to system files, it needs to do those things to iTunes files. People need to start creating iTunes skins along with their themes, IMHO.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Nov 20, 2003, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the kind words people, glad you enjoy the theme

I'm amazed how good it makes the Finder look, if I'm allowed to say so myself.

About iTunes, Quicktime, iMovvie and iPhoto - once Application makeovers are implemented in ShapeShifer it will be able to make them melt in with the theme somwhat better. I hope Jason figures out a way to make iTunes more themable

Originally posted by rhythmicmoose:
The instructions says "copy to harddrive � then double click to install". If you just double click it, you have to have the dmg mounted for the theme to work. You can keep them anywhere you like, but ~/library/themes/ is probably the best place.

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2003, 01:47 PM

I'm aware of that myself. The comment was in line to saying metalfizer won't demetalfize iTunes. I meant that no utility can change iTunes appearence; Metalfizer, ShapeShifter or otherwise...

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2003, 11:03 AM

Max, do you have any tip for what color should be used as the Highlight color with AA? I can't figure out exactly how the Finder makes the Highlight color darker, so I can't get the right color variation. When you just pick one of the lighter colors for the theme, it looks all purple once darkened by the Finder.

Stevos
Nov 22, 2003, 12:58 PM

Same with iPhoto and iMovie. BTW I can excuse QT and iTunes because they're Carbon and Carbon doesn't support stadnard brushed metal, but iPhoto and iMovie 3 (which are Cocoa) can't be excused. Aaargh. And P.S. iTunes can be skinned (look at resexcellence > iTunes skins) but it's a whole different ball game: instead of replacing or doing whatever SS does to system files, it needs to do those things to iTunes files. People need to start creating iTunes skins along with their themes, IMHO.
Actually, Carbon DOES support metal windows in a standard way, at least as of 10.3 (and 10.2 I think as well). QT and iTunes are just too old to have that support (after all, when iTunes came out, 'brushed metal' wasn't even really a concept). Maybe, if they rock, Apple would redo iTunes to use standard interface elements (the backgrounds, the traffic lights). They won't, because it would be lots of work, but it would rock.
swont

palmberg
Senior User
Nov 22, 2003, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by palmberg:
Hmm. It's nice. Thanks for making it.

I'm new to all this themes stuff, but I think if there were a hybrid between this theme and the iPod theme, I'd be in hog heaven. Something about the "buttons" in the menubar here is a little clunky for me.

This is on a 900MHz iBook.
Meh. The theme started slowing down Expose' and messing with scrolling in Safari (slowed it down, shredded the page content during scrolling), so I'm back to Aqua. It ain't so bad. Probably if I had a G4 it'd work much more smoothly.

bOOzo  (op)
Addicted to Themes
Nov 22, 2003, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by Cerbero:
Max, do you have any tip for what color should be used as the Highlight color with AA? I can't figure out exactly how the Finder makes the Highlight color darker, so I can't get the right color variation. When you just pick one of the lighter colors for the theme, it looks all purple once darkened by the Finder.
I suggest changing it to match the color variation instead of the Aluminum. The predifined orange goes perfect with Volcanic for example. Haven't tried matching with the other variations.

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2003, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
I suggest changing it to match the color variation instead of the Aluminum. The predifined orange goes perfect with Volcanic for example. Haven't tried matching with the other variations.
Yeah.. That's probably the best solution. Thanks.

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2003, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by Stevos:
Actually, Carbon DOES support metal windows in a standard way, at least as of 10.3 (and 10.2 I think as well). QT and iTunes are just too old to have that support (after all, when iTunes came out, 'brushed metal' wasn't even really a concept). Maybe, if they rock, Apple would redo iTunes to use standard interface elements (the backgrounds, the traffic lights). They won't, because it would be lots of work, but it would rock.
Oh.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Forum Links
Forum Rules