Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New iChat is MUCH better

New iChat is MUCH better
maxintosh
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 06:16 PM

The new iChat has finally replaced Adium in my dock.

Slick interface, proper groups (expanded lists), profile editing, auto-reply away messages. All of the big things that bugged me about the previous iChat have been fixed. And it actually works for file transfers and direct connections.

My only complaint is that you still can't see how long people have been idle when they are away. (Or is there something I'm missing?)

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2005, 06:18 PM

Eh... it's a little better. The group display is nice, yes.

...but I would have loved to see the buddy list as a fully-functional Apple-official dashboard widget.
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 06:20 PM

iChat will never replace adium for me if they can't impliment tabs and name grouping.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2005, 06:38 PM

Hi Ben,

maybe you should try using groups? View --> use groups.

That looks a lot like name grouping to me.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ben
iChat will never replace adium for me if they can't impliment tabs...

Gotta have the tabs. And I have too many people on Yahoo to give up Adium, although I know it's unlikely iChat will ever support Yahoo. Also, why on earth does iChat open every new incoming chat window up in the top right corner? That is the complete opposite of where I like my chat windows.

Chris Grande
Senior User
May 2, 2005, 06:46 PM

Glad to see they added Auto-Reply of away messages. However I like to stay away and talk to people and this auto setting that they have put in randomly will just send my away message to them in the middle of a conversation. They need to add a "Once per IM" or "after xx minutes of inactivity" setting.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Grande
Glad to see they added Auto-Reply of away messages. However I like to stay away and talk to people and this auto setting that they have put in rendomply will just send my away message to them in the middle of a conversation. They need to add a "Once per IM" or "after xx minutes of inactivity"
Amen, I was thinking the same thing! Weird implementation.

maxintosh  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
Amen, I was thinking the same thing! Weird implementation.
Hmm? I can continue to have conversations while away without my message getting sent out multiple times (just once).

Chris Grande
Senior User
May 2, 2005, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by maxintosh
Hmm? I can continue to have conversations while away without my message getting sent out multiple times (just once).
Seems if you take a pause for like 30 seconds or so it will send it again. However this doesn't seem to always be the case. It sent it again when the person started to type back to me just now, right after their "thought bubble" came up.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by maxintosh
Who knows, maybe if you pause or something for a minute and then continue the conversation it will auto-reply? Just a guess.

maxintosh  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
Who knows, maybe if you pause or something for a minute and then continue the conversation it will auto-reply? Just a guess.
Weeeirrrddd.. that could be kind of irritating.

jeff25624
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 07:06 PM

Tabs is what is keeping Adium on the ol' iBook. If iChat implemented them, then I'm sure I'd be using that as we speak.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
May 2, 2005, 10:15 PM

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to Jabber, but I have screen names set up on YIM, MSN, AIM, and ICQ. Is it possible to use iChat and its recent implementation of Jabber to replace Adium?

I doubt that I would, in all honesty, since I do like tabs, but it'd be nice to know if that's an option.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
Hi Ben,

maybe you should try using groups? View --> use groups.

That looks a lot like name grouping to me.
I should be more specific. Grouping of the same person under 1 name. So when someone I know uses 2 different, 3, or 4 different screen names I can have "Idiot" as one name rather than seeing their name on my List 4 times.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2005, 09:06 AM

So basically, you're looking for a feature that's equivalent to the creation of Meta-contacts in Adium?
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 09:14 AM

I like the new iChat. I've never used Adium. Never had a need to.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

maxintosh  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 12:14 PM

Eh I think I take back what I said.. iChat has enough little annoying problems and restrictions that I'm going back to Adium for now. If only file transfer worked reliably in .8....

Stecchino
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7

Gotta have the tabs. And I have too many people on Yahoo to give up Adium, although I know it's unlikely iChat will ever support Yahoo. Also, why on earth does iChat open every new incoming chat window up in the top right corner? That is the complete opposite of where I like my chat windows.
You can chat with folks on Yahoo! Messenger and MSN through iChat if you set up a Jabber account with a Jabber server that offers those services.

In this thread , analogika outlines the steps to set up a Jabber account (it's about the 5th post down).

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stecchino
You can chat with folks on Yahoo! Messenger and MSN through iChat if you set up a Jabber account with a Jabber server that offers those services.
Thanks for the info. If it weren't for the tabs and the incoming message location, I'd probably do that. I like iChat for the most part. How Apple can see the usefulness of tabs in Safari and not in iChat, I just don't know... It can't be that involved to implement.

bacchus
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2005, 02:13 PM

I would love to be using iChat as my main chat client but almost all of my contacts are on MSN. The post above is the first i've heard about being able to link jabber to msn and aim, what the hell.

Any tips, pointers on how to make this happen?
http://www.repair-xp.com
-----------------------------
If you're looking for information on the best windows xp repair tools , check out www.repair-xp.com

Stecchino
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 02:15 PM

Just follow the link I gave and follow those instructions on that thread.

Forum Links
Forum Rules