Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My first G3 iMac has died.

My first G3 iMac has died.
beetleboy
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2006, 10:50 PM

After virtually daily use for the past 6 years, my first Mac has finally died.

RIP - Lime G3 iMac DV 400 - March 13, 2000 - April 13, 2006.

I suspect it's GLOD (green light of death). The machine will come on but nothing else. No video and the power light just stays green.

If anyone has any suggestions or would like to send notes of condolence, anything would be appreciated.

P.S. I do plan to get her repaired. She's still a good machine, even after 6 years.

Thanks for listening.
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger
G3 Lime iMac DV 400 Tiger
G3 Snow iMac SE 700 Panther
G3 Graphite iMac DV SE 400 Panther

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2006, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by beetleboy
After virtually daily use for the past 6 years, my first Mac has finally died.

RIP - Lime G3 iMac DV 400 - March 13, 2000 - April 13, 2006.

I suspect it's GLOD (green light of death). The machine will come on but nothing else. No video and the power light just stays green.

If anyone has any suggestions or would like to send notes of condolence, anything would be appreciated.

P.S. I do plan to get her repaired. She's still a good machine, even after 6 years.

Thanks for listening.
Did you run OS X on it? I have the same machine, but the grape model. It is still going strong, but OS X runs a little too slow for my tastes.

kick52
Baninated
Apr 14, 2006, 07:40 AM

its the monitor that has gone.

But, luckily, if you buy a mac to pc monitor

( like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mac-to-VGA-Mon...QQcmdZViewItem )

you can take the bottom part of your imac off, and plug the converter in the a normal vga pc monitor, and bang! it works! i tried it myself.

email me for instructions.

[email protected]

kick52
Baninated
Apr 14, 2006, 07:41 AM

i think that might of been the old model, but i think with your model, there might be a vga out on the bottom anyway.

i will look it up now.

kick52
Baninated
Apr 14, 2006, 07:44 AM

yep, that mac has a vga out. try hooking that up to a pc monitor.

beetleboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2006, 01:22 PM

Ok, this morning I disconnected the machine from all it's cords, USB, Firewire, Power, and Ethernet so that I could reseat the RAM. Reseated the RAM and plugged the power back in and was expecting nothing. Well, I got the machine back. The display came on and everything! I was overjoyed. Next, I power it down and hook up all the peripherals and power it back up. This time though it's back to just sitting with power light and nothing.

One thing I forgot to mention is that when this iMac nornmally starts up, the caps lock LED on the keyboard comes on and stays on for about 2-3 seconds. Since I've been having this issue that LED just stays on and the machine just sits and does nothing.

On a whim with my last start up after hooking everything back up I disconnected the one firewire cable. Once I did, the the LED on the keyboard went out and the boot continued successfully. Perhaps a bad firwire port? I don't know. I do have a new LaCie DVD RW hooked in to one of the two firewire ports and I've discovered that the drive itself needs to be powered on or disconnected for a successful boot. This wasn't the case before. It had been connected and powered off and the machine booted fine. I don't know. I'm just glad my machine isn't dead. Perhaps the firewire is going to hell. Any ideas? Maybe this new drive is too much for 6 year old firewire ports.

This machine is running OS X 10.3.9, with 640megs of RAM, and 120 GB HDD.

Thanks for all who repsonded. It looks like I have a different problem now.
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Apr 14, 2006, 05:55 PM

Technically, the Lacie DVD-RW models are not compatible with your Lime iMac. Mine died and was resurrected by a person I sold it to. *sniff* Luckily, I got a used Blueberry iMac from my g/f. The firewire ports should be fine to handle anything that is 400mbps. Let me know what model of DVD-RW is so I can go out and get one

beetleboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2006, 10:42 PM

Why wouldn't an iMac with firewire ports not be compatible? The drive is firewire 400 and that's what's on the machine. In fact, the box the burner came in says the requirements are Mac OS 9.2 or OS 10.2.3 or higher with built in firewire ports.
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Apr 23, 2006, 07:50 PM

Is it the LaCie d2 DVD±RW with LightScribe 16x or any earlier model? Because I see that it is compatible with your version of Mac OS X but not the hardware. It says the minimum is 500mhz G4

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2006, 04:42 PM

This really sounds like a problem with the memory to me. Try taking out the 512 stick.
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

beetleboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2006, 06:29 PM

Everything's fine. I just leave the external DVD drive on.
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger

Forum Links
Forum Rules