Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Do you still use your G3 iMac?

Do you still use your G3 iMac? (Page 2)
maní
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by matty-uk
I'll check the update procedure for you regarding the update to Panther.

Ram max it out, we've got a 512 chip in ours and it's ok.
OK great, appreciate the help

matty-uk
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2006, 08:23 AM

Right

Try my thread for some info on the update From what I remember it was really really easy.

maní
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 08:25 AM

I'll check the update procedure for you regarding the update to Panther.

Ram max it out, we've got a 512 chip in ours and it's ok.
Ok Great, appreciate the help

maní
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by maní
Ok Great, appreciate the help
Matt,

i only need to back up, if ive got any work i want to keep yeah? i dont need to back up any system files?

cheers
maní

aka matt from the uk

Also, what is Firmware? and where wold i find the correct updates?

matty-uk
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2006, 09:08 AM

Hey Mani,

Yeah just back up any work on your mac you want to keep. System files don't need backing up, unless there are some apps on there you need off.

The firmware updates are done using the software updater

maní
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 09:11 AM

Hey Mani,

Yeah just back up any work on your mac you want to keep. System files don't need backing up, unless there are some apps on there you need off.

Cheers dude, thats been most helpfull.

maní
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 09:54 AM

Hey Mani,

Sorry matt

one last thing, i know you said i need to search for new firmware updates. but what is firmware. Ive just installed a new DVD drive, does it have anything toi do with that?? i searched the web but i cant find a good definition.

matt

matty-uk
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2006, 09:55 AM

No mate, it's the firmware for the mac itself from my understanding. If you do software update from the apple menu that will update your firmware for you.

maní
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 09:58 AM

No mate, it's the firmware for the mac itself from my understanding. If you do software update from the apple menu that will update your firmware for you.

ahh ok,

cheers mate

maní
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 10:08 AM

anybody know the cheapest place to buy ram from for an old Blue & White G3 imac. Is it5 safe to buy that sort of thing from ebay?

Oozinator
Baninated
Aug 18, 2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
ValVashon, you can actually put up to 1 gig in your iMac. Apple just said that they could take 512mb but they can take more. beetleboy, that is cool how you got your 700MHz. I don't think I have ever seen one on ebay, and I have been looking forever.
Edit: Nevermind, I saw bondi and thought he was talking about the first gen imacs.

Oozinator
Baninated
Aug 18, 2006, 11:20 AM

I have the world's most pimped out 1st generation imac...currently it's doing nothing. But in a few weeks it should be happily serving a webpage, being a backup file server, and a printer server while sitting in my closet. I also scored a green LED 92mm fan for it, so I'll install that too, when I get around to it.

maní
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Oozinator
I have the world's most pimped out 1st generation imac...currently it's doing nothing. But in a few weeks it should be happily serving a webpage, being a backup file server, and a printer server while sitting in my closet. I also scored a green LED 92mm fan for it, so I'll install that too, when I get around to it.

Does how much ram i can put into my Blue & White G3 iMac, depend on how big the processor is? Its just standard at the moment. I believe it would of been one of the cheaper models. I was going to purchase 1 Gb ram for it, Its already got 1 x 128 module and 2 x 64 mb, so i was going to scrap them and buy 4 x 256mb modules. My main aim is to allow me to run Creative Suite 1 using OSX. Its currently running OS 9.

Ive been told its fairly simple to upgrade to OSX

Oozinator
Baninated
Aug 18, 2006, 11:39 AM

You need to figure out what kind of imac you have. If it's a 1st generation imac, with a tray loading CD-rom, max ram is 512 megs. You'd need twin 256 meg strips, one's a sodimm, and the other one is a low profile sodimm (I think).

If you have a slot loading optical drive.... then you have a 2nd gen imac. In which case I don't know anything about them since they sucked ass in comparison the first gens.

maní
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2006, 11:46 AM

You need to figure out what kind of imac you have. If it's a 1st generation imac, with a tray loading CD-rom, max ram is 512 megs. You'd need twin 256 meg strips, one's a sodimm, and the other one is a low profile sodimm (I think).

If you have a slot loading optical drive.... then you have a 2nd gen imac. In which case I don't know anything about them since they sucked ass in comparison the first gens.

Yeah its a 1st gen Tray Loader then. So are you %100 sure 512mb is the maximum it can take. Ive been told it will take 1 gb. Will it cope ok running OSX and Creative Suite 1?

Whats a sodimm? Can i just use two standard 256 modules?

thanks
matt

Oozinator
Baninated
Aug 18, 2006, 12:29 PM

It can only take 512 megs. You could throw a 1 gig strip on either side of your daughtercard, but it will only 'see' 256 megs. No, you can't use standard ram. The first gen iMac uses laptop components... laptop cd-rom, laptop memory (in this case sodimms), and a weird motherboard with basically laptop graphics (at the time).

Again, I have 768 megs installed in my iMac, and it only 'sees' 512 of it. Yeah, it'll run OSX okay. Just don't expect fancy graphical effects. Photoshop will run okay as well. Just not 'fast'.

hw1609
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 01:05 PM

Can anyone advise me whether I can use the external monitor for imac dv400 (Slot loading) if my CRT is already dead due to Flyback Transformer ?I understand the early Imac models able to do so by just unplug the old cables and insert the new one.
I hope that the video adapter is not integrated in the motherboard on this model.

It can only take 512 megs. You could throw a 1 gig strip on either side of your daughtercard, but it will only 'see' 256 megs. No, you can't use standard ram. The first gen iMac uses laptop components... laptop cd-rom, laptop memory (in this case sodimms), and a weird motherboard with basically laptop graphics (at the time).

Again, I have 768 megs installed in my iMac, and it only 'sees' 512 of it. Yeah, it'll run OSX okay. Just don't expect fancy graphical effects. Photoshop will run okay as well. Just not 'fast'.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2006, 03:54 PM

I saw an indigo slot load iMac in the local Cash Generator (second hand shop) for �99 yesterday. Whats the biggest hard drive and most RAM you can put in one of these? I forget now.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

maní
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2006, 04:25 PM

Ive had a look inside, and its running PC-100, not the sodimm (laptop memory). does this mean ill be able to use standard memory. It has 4 slots. Its a tray loading G3 imac. 300mhz

thanks
matt

maní
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2006, 08:38 AM

Im thinking about replacing the processor as well. Is this worth it? or will i end up spending so much money i might aswell buy a new machine. Is it easy to upgrade a processor i.e fitting it etc. and would i have to upgrade any other components to do this

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2006, 09:58 AM

replace the processor? definately not cost effective. buy a newer machine, these things go for next to nothing on ebay.

ScoobyDoo555
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2006, 09:49 AM

Hi guys,

Do these machines cope well with DVD playback?

Looking at getting one as a cheap alternative to TV/DVD combo.

My 6-yr old daughter is pretty Mac literate anyway, and I was going to put it in her room with home network access. I've got a PC which I'm turning into a music/picture server.

She can then listen to her music thru Itunes, watch DVDs and potentially get DVB......

What do you reckon?

Thanks in advance,

Dan (based in UK)

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2006, 10:17 AM

it'll work but the quality is nowhere near as good as on a cheap tv. some movies in action scenes have "jerky lines". (don't know the technical term for this). brightness could also be better.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2006, 12:06 PM

7200 rpm drives work great in these machines. Just don't bother putting anything over 120GB -- you need special software to read the extra space.

I think they run Tiger great -- faster than Panther IMHO, especially for internet work.

They are run word like a champ. Not a big dropoff over office on this mactel due to the chains of emulation.

ScoobyDoo555
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2006, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by gooser
it'll work but the quality is nowhere near as good as on a cheap tv. some movies in action scenes have "jerky lines". (don't know the technical term for this). brightness could also be better.

Good enough for a 6yr old to watch a bit of StarWars, Simpsons, Disney/Pixar and Dr Who?

She's got access to a $50 (equivalent) DVD and TV with Scart to RF convertor at the moment (in the kitchen! )

Dan

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2006, 12:41 PM

i have g3 imac that i use for a lot of things. i like it and it does a lot of things well. watching a whole movie on it ain't one of them. it's a snow model that sits next to a small white sony tv on a table (desk). very good combination. a g3 imac will also play old os9 games very well. just my uneducated opinion. most kids multi-task these days

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Good enough for a 6yr old to watch a bit of StarWars, Simpsons, Disney/Pixar and Dr Who?

She's got access to a $50 (equivalent) DVD and TV with Scart to RF convertor at the moment (in the kitchen! )

Dan

I just checked with my experts (my kids), who each have a scavenged G3 iMac. Each iMac is running Tiger. They told me they run full-length movies just fine, which was my (far less) experience as well.

You can also attach external speakers to get better sound.

ScoobyDoo555
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2006, 01:10 PM

Fair enough - my guess/hope is that it's fine for a light bit of DVD playback (no offence meant gooser ) - I refuse to spend shed loads on a DVD system for a 6yr old. I certainly didn't have anything like that at that age!!!

What sort of spec are your kids running SEkker?

DAn

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2006, 01:33 PM

absolutely no offense taken, just my opinion. good luck with your purchase.

beetleboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2006, 11:04 PM

Let's keep this thread alive.
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger
G3 Lime iMac DV 400 Tiger
G3 Snow iMac SE 700 Panther
G3 Graphite iMac DV SE 400 Panther

GabrieL^
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2006, 11:10 PM

i have two G3 iMacs that run on OS X 10.3.9

they both run very well. one has 512 ram and the other one is 640

maní
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2006, 01:49 PM

Can anyone tell me whether these would be compatible for my G3 B&W imac?

''2 x Memory for old Imac. See image. Still boxed, but has been used.
Each are 512mb 168dim pc133 npcl3 being sold by design company who upgraded their macs so don’t need it, best offer, no refunds. ''

thanks

[IMG] [/IMG]

Its the trayloading B&W one. it doesnt use the laptop memory either, it looks like pc-100
( Last edited by maní; Aug 31, 2006 at 02:15 PM. )

GabrieL^
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2006, 01:59 PM

i use that kind in my slot load iMac. tray loads are smaller ones.

maní
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by GabrieL^
i use that kind in my slot load iMac. tray loads are smaller ones.

yeah im using a tray loader, but its not the laptop memory that everyone says trayloaders use. It uses the pc-100 modules i think

bmd6491
Baninated
Aug 31, 2006, 02:21 PM

Im thinking of using one as a project mac. Im gonna get a 500 mhz. put a combo drive, 512mb of ram and a 60 gb hardrive its only like 100 bucks for everything. and i might even throw in a g4 chip.

GabrieL^
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2006, 02:53 PM

yeah im using a tray loader, but its not the laptop memory that everyone says trayloaders use. It uses the pc-100 modules i think
you might wanna make sure on that. on the tray loaders you gotta pull the whole computer part out of its shell to get to the RAM. on slot loads theres just a door on the back of it.

maní
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by GabrieL^
you might wanna make sure on that. on the tray loaders you gotta pull the whole computer part out of its shell to get to the RAM. on slot loads theres just a door on the back of it.
Its a UK bought G3 trayloader, with a quick release pull on the side. The ram is easily accessible. As soon a the door is opened you can see the 4 slots straight away.

Does this mean its got the same insides as a slot loader?
( Last edited by maní; Sep 1, 2006 at 05:26 AM. )

PB2K
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2006, 05:15 AM

I send them to the third world, I have about 40 imacs in stock now, ready for shipment
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2006, 05:54 AM

Its a UK bought G3 trayloader, with a quick release pull on the side. The ram is easily accessible. As soon a the door is opened you can see the 4 slots straight away.

Does this mean its got the same insides as a slot loader?
That sounds like a G3 Powermac rather an iMac - you may want to try the powermac forums.

maní
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Will C
That sounds like a G3 Powermac rather an iMac - you may want to try the powermac forums.

I didnt actually realise there was a difference!! this is what it looks like;

does the iMac & the Power mac have the same outer B&W shell then?.... just to make it even more confusing!!!!

This is the exact model

Apple PowerMac G3 (300MHz PowerPC G3 Processor, 64MB RAM, 6GB Hard Drive)
( Last edited by maní; Sep 1, 2006 at 06:29 AM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2006, 08:30 AM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2006, 05:35 PM

mani, you have a Power Mac G3 Blue and White. All iMacs have built in monitors, while Power Macs are towers without built in monitors.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2006, 12:29 AM

DV+ 450 in Indigo. 384mb, 120gb 7200rpm, running the latest 10.4.x .

Still works great for what its used for (now a teenager's web surfing, AIMing, iPod syncing machine + stereo ... has an iSub with it and its still about 2 notches louder than he's allowed to listen to).

Proving to be one of the best computer purchases EVAR at nearly 7 years old and still wholly usable. Also, the fanless, quiet design is still far preferable to noisy machines ... one of the best designs ever, bar none.

GabrieL^
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 03:49 AM

Apple PowerMac G3 (300MHz PowerPC G3 Processor, 64MB RAM, 6GB Hard Drive)
well at least we know that the RAM your talking about will work for it.

iBean
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2006, 06:39 PM

I'm using my Graphite 500 right now (running 10.4.7), because my PowerBook was sent to repair. It's usually unplugged, I only set it up when I'm working with a friend on some project and we happen to need an extra computer to speed things up.

It runs pretty nice, except for the slot loading dvd drive, which is kind of erm.. lazy when it comes to eject cds

My mother is still using the original Bondi 233, running OS 9.2. By the way, what's the best browser and email client for OS 9? She's using Internet Explorr - 5, I think - and Outlook Express. Outlook is fine, she just needs and email client which is easy to use. Explorer is kind of slugish and lot of web sites crash it or render unproperly.

GabrieL^
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2006, 07:05 PM

why not upgrade it to OS X?

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2006, 12:18 AM

mozilla

iOta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 10:44 AM

I have three G3 iMac 400 mhz DVD-ROM units, each with 120GB 7200rpm Seagate drives and 1GB RAM. A lime, a graphite, and a blueberry. Each runs 10.3.9 just fine, two also have 9.2.2 for some older apps. If it gets really hot outside (90˚+) I'll turn on a small room fan near the computer - no problem. I think these machines are a bit like the VW's of old - classically designed little workhorses.

GabrieL^
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 01:34 PM

Agreed ^^^^

beetleboy  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2006, 12:10 AM

Here's the URL for that article:

http://digg.com/apple/Turning_Back_t...Usable_in_2006

Enjoy!
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger
G3 Lime iMac DV 400 Tiger