Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My G3 is lagging when watching youtube

My G3 is lagging when watching youtube
xAbre1200
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2007, 12:39 AM

A friend of mine gave me his old iMac G3 and I loaded up safari and went to youtube.com to see how well it plays video. Well, it turns out that the video lags horibaly but the sound has no lag at all. It has 512MB of RAM so im not sure what the problem is.

PLEASE HELP

beetleboy
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2007, 02:00 PM

More info would be helpful. What model, speed, OS?

Beetleboy
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger
G3 Lime iMac DV 400 Tiger
G3 Snow iMac SE 700 Panther
G3 Graphite iMac DV SE 400 Panther

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2007, 11:24 PM

Youtube works great when using OS9. OSX is not as efficient to play flash video.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

xAbre1200  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2007, 03:13 PM

I set the colors to THOUSANDS insteads of MILLIONS and it did perform a little better. Is there anything else I can do to boost my G3's speed?

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2007, 03:59 PM

You could tell us what model G3, what size hard drive and how much free space left on it, how much RAM you have, what OS you are running and what version of the Flash plug-in you have installed, otherwise there is nothing anybody can do to help.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2007, 05:29 PM

I'm not sure you can do much about it.. Flash video play horribly bad on my 1 Ghz G4 iMac with 1.5 Gb of RAM... Google video is just a no-no on my machine, and in order to play YouTube video, I have to wait until it have finished loading before I can attempt to watch it, and most of the time, it's still choppy. I hate that, on a PC, it works like a charm, even without the preloading.

xAbre1200  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2007, 12:06 AM

OS X 10.4, iMac G3, 512 MB of RAM, 400MHz

Hope you guys can help

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
I'm not sure you can do much about it.. Flash video play horribly bad on my 1 Ghz G4 iMac with 1.5 Gb of RAM... Google video is just a no-no on my machine, and in order to play YouTube video, I have to wait until it have finished loading before I can attempt to watch it, and most of the time, it's still choppy. I hate that, on a PC, it works like a charm, even without the preloading.
Hmm, something is not right with your machine. My 800 G4 iMac with 512 MB of ram works great with youtube and google video.

I got rid of my 233 iMac last year, but isn't 10.3.9 the highest OS you can use with a G3? **edit: nope, but 400 MHz is at the bottom of supported hardware, and not even enough for stuff like video conferencing on ichat. Maybe that's part of what is bogging it down, besides not realistically expecting too much performance for high bandwidth content on an old G3?

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2007, 04:51 AM

Have you downloaded and installed the latest version of the Flash plug-in?

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash

Also, with Youtube, is the video loading ahead of the playback? That is, is the red line appearing ahead of the indicator in the controller - if not, your playback is faster than the download of the video and it will stall every time it gets to the end of the line. Pause at the start of the download and wait until it gets going a bit before attempting to playback.

beetleboy
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2007, 02:37 PM

Hmmmm, I just fired up my Lime G3 iMac DV 400 and watched a YouTube vid. Plays just fine for me. Interesting.
G4 17" iMac 1.25 Tiger
G3 Lime iMac DV 400 Tiger
G3 Snow iMac SE 700 Panther
G3 Graphite iMac DV SE 400 Panther

xAbre1200  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2007, 10:05 PM

It might be that because I just installed OS X 10.4, do you think I shoud downgrade back to the old OS's?

xAbre1200  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 03:26 AM

or could it be the 8gb HD's fault.......

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by xAbre1200 View Post
It might be that because I just installed OS X 10.4, do you think I shoud downgrade back to the old OS's?
Has Spotlight finished indexing the hard drive yet? Also, how much disk space do you have free? If it is less than about 1 to 2GB, you could start having problems.

xAbre1200  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 07:33 PM

i have about 7gb free, im not sure if shoplight has done anything yet.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2007, 05:11 AM

If you click the spotlight icon, it will tell you if it is still indexing the drive - as you are on a relatively slow machine, it can take quite a long time if the disk has lots of stuff on it. Also, there is a (tiny, barely visible to me) white dot that pulses in the middle of the Spotlight magnifying glass icon when it is indexing.

SLiMeX
Senior User
Jan 12, 2007, 02:32 PM

My DV 500 jumps a tiny bit with YouTube, I think it's just the video card.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

P
Jan 13, 2007, 02:05 PM

Have you update the Flash plugin yet? Youtube movies are in Flash, and the performance of that plugin is horrible in some of the older versions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules