Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How do you distinguish a 5G from a 5.5G refurb 30GB iPod?

How do you distinguish a 5G from a 5.5G refurb 30GB iPod?
Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2007, 07:02 PM

If you buy a refurbished iPod you get a new serial number so you can't actually see from that number when it was originally manufactured. So is there any way you can distinguish a 30GB iPod 5G (released 10/05) vs. the 30GB 5.5G model (released 9/06)? IIRC correctly the 5.5G should have a brighter display but I can't judge that w/o seeing the other model next to it. Any ideas how I could find out which generation this refurb 30GB iPod is?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2007, 07:21 PM

Contact Apple with the serial number.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2007, 02:01 PM

Hmm, where I live when you call Apple you wait for about 20min on hold and then you get some girl who's usually completely clueless.

Any other suggestions?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2007, 02:25 PM

You could test battery life while playing movies. You can find the info on Apple's website. 5.5G has bettery video battery life.

MrMacbookMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2007, 02:46 PM

thats a tough one, you would probably be best to find another one to compare screen brightness. :/
I was able to pay for my new macbook
just by trying out products from home.
The pay is great and it's free to join.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2007, 04:13 PM

From Apple's site:

You can distinguish the Fifth Generation iPod (Late 2006) from the original Fifth Generation iPod by the last three digits of the serial number. The Fifth Generation iPod (Late 2006) serial number's last three digits will be one of the following: V9K, V9P, V9M, V9R, V9L, V9N, V9Q, V9S, WU9, WUA, WUB, WUC, and X3N. The Fifth Generation U2 Special Edition iPod (30 GB Late 2006) serial number's last three digits are W9G.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2007, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
From Apple's site:
That's not of any use. As I wrote in the first post, this is a refurb unit so it gets a completely new serial number.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2007, 05:30 AM

I wonder how they go about giving it a new Serial. Is it a whole new chrome backing, or do they just laser in a new one below all the text, and laser off the original?

By the way, The 5G ipods do not have the search function, while the 5.5 do.
Linkinus is king.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2007, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
That's not of any use. As I wrote in the first post, this is a refurb unit so it gets a completely new serial number.
That was a good try though.

If you look through the detailed specs provided, it should reveal whether it's 5 or 5.5.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2007, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
I wonder how they go about giving it a new Serial. Is it a whole new chrome backing, or do they just laser in a new one below all the text, and laser off the original?
It looks to me like they give it a whole new backing. The front was totally new as well. Not the slightest scratch.

By the way, The 5G ipods do not have the search function, while the 5.5 do.
We have a winner.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2007, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
If you look through the detailed specs provided, it should reveal whether it's 5 or 5.5.
Well obviously the specs don't mention that. Why would I have started this thread it I could have read about it on their web page or invoice?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 12:21 AM

So, is it a 5G or 5.5G?
Linkinus is king.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2007, 12:23 AM

Well obviously the specs don't mention that. Why would I have started this thread it I could have read about it on their web page or invoice?
Sorry dude, but reading the specs is the only possible way to figure out the answer prior to getting it out of the box, unless some phone rep chooses to tell you.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 02:51 AM

So, is it a 5G or 5.5G?
No search function. 5G it is.
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 2, 2007 at 03:00 AM. )

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Sorry dude, but reading the specs is the only possible way to figure out the answer prior to getting it out of the box, unless some phone rep chooses to tell you.
Dude, that's the whole point. Since Apple doesn't spec em in enough detail there's no way of knowing before you buy it. The topic of this thread is how to find it out once it's in your hands. And thanks to brokenjago's tip we now know how.

applgeek
Apr 2, 2007, 03:32 AM

It looks to me like they give it a whole new backing. The front was totally new as well. Not the slightest scratch.

We have a winner.
A software update gives the 5g's that feature. The refurbs probably have that software update installed.

All apple refurbs get new casing. that includes computers and ipods. They come in a sheet of cellophane just like the original product.
--applgeek
You can email me at [email protected] or aim me at applgeek

I am a proud blogger at freecasts.net!

Joy Of Tech!

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by applgeek View Post
A software update gives the 5g's that feature. The refurbs probably have that software update installed.
I'm confused about this statement. Which feature is given by a software update? The search function?

iTunes claims my refurb has the most recent firmware and it does not have the search function.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by applgeek
The search function, if you take the time to research, is oddly not enabled (or included) on 5G iPods, only 5.5G iPods.

It's weird, I know.
Originally Posted by Simon
iTunes claims my refurb has the most recent firmware and it does not have the search function.
Sorry to be off topic (not that it matters since the issue is now resolved) But, if I may ask, where did you get your refurb and for how much? I've been yearning for an iPod ever since I sold my 30GB photo, but I don't want to spend too much before they come out with either the iPhone or the 6G iPod. (Multi-touch, baby!) It still comes with a 1 year warranty, correct? (Had my photo die three times on me in the end)
( Last edited by brokenjago; Apr 2, 2007 at 05:16 AM. )
Linkinus is king.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2007, 07:54 AM

But, if I may ask, where did you get your refurb and for how much?
Refurb section of the Apple Store, $179.

I've been yearning for an iPod ever since I sold my 30GB photo, but I don't want to spend too much before they come out with either the iPhone or the 6G iPod. (Multi-touch, baby!)
Same reasoning here. I had a 60 GB iPod photo but I wanted a cheap new iPod (w/ video) till I get a 6G iPod or iPhone.

still comes with a 1 year warranty, correct?
Yeah. The only difference is the box (generic brown instead of the nice black one).

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 05:08 PM

Wow, that's actually a lot less than I thought it would be. I might have to pick one up for myself!

Thanks!
Linkinus is king.

applgeek
Apr 2, 2007, 11:53 PM

I will note that if you order a refurb from the online store, the 5.5 will say " 60 percent brighter than previous version" And will also be listed under "ipod Current Generation"

The 30 gigs (previouis) are 179, and the new gen are 209. It looks like the old ones are selling fast too...
--applgeek
You can email me at [email protected] or aim me at applgeek

I am a proud blogger at freecasts.net!

Joy Of Tech!

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2007, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by applgeek View Post
I will note that if you order a refurb from the online store, the 5.5 will say " 60 percent brighter than previous version" And will also be listed under "ipod Current Generation"
But you see that's the US Apple Store and US buyers are lucky. There are international Apple Stores that don't specify exactly if you're getting a 5G or 5.5G iPod. Hence this thread.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2007, 06:14 PM

I'm confused about this statement. Which feature is given by a software update? The search function?

Search is not a function of 5Gs even with the updates.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2007, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
That's my understanding as well. I was wondering what applgeek wanted to tell us.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2007, 04:09 AM

Sweet, sweet vindication!
Linkinus is king.

Forum Links
Forum Rules