Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Did anyone notice this in the iphone ads?

Did anyone notice this in the iphone ads?
applgeek
Jun 10, 2007, 02:36 AM

In the "calamari" iphone ad th guy is looking for a seafood place, and it pops up the nearest one. However, it would need Some kind of GPS Device to figure out exactly where he is and the nearest seafood restaurant. IS this a possible feature?

I plan on getting an iphone, im hoping for rebates. my contract just ended with att. Time for renewal!
--applgeek
You can email me at [email protected] or aim me at applgeek

I am a proud blogger at freecasts.net!

Joy Of Tech!

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2007, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by applgeek View Post
In the "calamari" iphone ad th guy is looking for a seafood place, and it pops up the nearest one. However, it would need Some kind of GPS Device to figure out exactly where he is and the nearest seafood restaurant. IS this a possible feature?

I plan on getting an iphone, im hoping for rebates. my contract just ended with att. Time for renewal!
Google Maps are built in, Steve already talked about this at MacWorld.
Signature depreciated.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2007, 05:50 AM

Yes, we know that.

Now read his post again.

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2007, 09:52 AM

It probably works by knowing your default address (like some of our Dashboard widgets). We now know by the AT&T training documents that iPhone does not have GPS. That doesn't preclude some sort of cell-tower triangulation of your current position, but given how this would be a killer feature, they _probably_ would have mentioned it.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Phil333
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by krove View Post
It probably works by knowing your default address (like some of our Dashboard widgets). We now know by the AT&T training documents that iPhone does not have GPS. That doesn't preclude some sort of cell-tower triangulation of your current position, but given how this would be a killer feature, they _probably_ would have mentioned it.
This is what I'm assuming as well. You put in your default address when you start the program and if you need to change it based on where you are at that moment you can, but if you don't, it will pop to your location.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2007, 11:23 AM

Is the Google Maps feature working via WiFi or over a cellular connection? Because if it's WiFi couldn't the location be *roughly* determined by the IP address of the iPhone?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2007, 12:53 PM

Isn't it pretty easy for a cell phone to know where it is by which cell tower it's logged into?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2007, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Isn't it pretty easy for a cell phone to know where it is by which cell tower it's logged into?
Yes and no. The phone could be ANYWHERE within that tower's coverage area, typically a wedge of space from 60º to 120º wide and up to several miles long. But by comparing signal strengths from a number of towers, and as krove said, triangulating from those signals, a cell phone can get within about a block of its location. But that's ONLY if the phone is programmed to do that.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Yes and no. The phone could be ANYWHERE within that tower's coverage area, typically a wedge of space from 60º to 120º wide and up to several miles long. But by comparing signal strengths from a number of towers, and as krove said, triangulating from those signals, a cell phone can get within about a block of its location. But that's ONLY if the phone is programmed to do that.
I believe that based on legislation passed ac ouple of years ago all phones are now requierd to be able to do so. Dont know when it was passed, but it is was done whe e911 was implemented. My 2 year old A900 has a location feature that can be user activated. Not GPS based but tower triangulation absed system. It is always available to any e911 enabled emergency center andc an be turned on and such your position can be made availabel to the operator i.e I dial 411 and can ask for teh nearest restaurant from my location... The assumption would be that the iPhone would have to be abel to triangulate its location and help you find teh nearest restaurant... using Google maps.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2007, 03:33 PM

could you make a web app to find where you are or tell your phone where you are?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2007, 04:03 PM

With google all you really have to do it write "Seafood near ......whatever address" and you get results.
Nothing having to do with GPS, Wifi or cellphone triangulation here.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2007, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
With google all you really have to do it write "Seafood near ......whatever address" and you get results.
Nothing having to do with GPS, Wifi or cellphone triangulation here.
no one wants to write out that much on a keyboard the size of a ipod video screen

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2007, 05:50 PM

How about 'Seafood 47560'?
Or 'Seafood Seattle'?

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2007, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by TAZ
I believe that based on legislation passed a couple of years ago all phones are now requierd to be able to do so. Dont know when it was passed, but it is was done whe e911 was implemented. My 2 year old A900 has a location feature that can be user activated. Not GPS based but tower triangulation absed system. It is always available to any e911 enabled emergency center andc an be turned on and such your position can be made availabel to the operator
I am a 911 operator/police dispatcher. Phase II Wireless allows us to know exactly where you are, but it depends on the equipment you're using to call. A five year old Cricket phone or baby daddy's pre-paid is going to simply show the X-degree arc ghporter mentioned... It's just a triangulation using the nearest towers... And it's useless. In a dense urban/suburban environment, the arc can cover 10 square miles or more.

Using a modern phone -- with its location software turned ON -- (my current Sprint phone gives me the option to disable the feature... Extends battery life)... An operator can know exactly where you are. A little dot comes up on my map right on top of your house, or the street corner you're standing on.

I'd say we get Phase II info only about 35-40% of the time. In typical big government <hearts> big business fashion, the carriers have been given extension after extension regarding deadlines to make E-911 mandatory, functional and universal.

Another fact you probably couldn't care less about: About 6 out of 10 wireless 911 calls are phantom calls because morons don't know how to use their keyguard or they think it's acceptable to let their 2-year-old play with their phone.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2007, 11:53 PM

even if the "arc" is ten miles in some places this could be helpful if someone could make a web app to find where you are or tell your phone where you are within ten miles, you could bring up "seafood" within your ten miles.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2007, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by MattJeff View Post
no one wants to write out that much on a keyboard the size of a ipod video screen
Plenty of people don't seem to mind on the Blackberry pearl and you can bet it is worse than the iPhone.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2007, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
Is the Google Maps feature working via WiFi or over a cellular connection? Because if it's WiFi couldn't the location be *roughly* determined by the IP address of the iPhone?
Depending on the provider, access via Wi-Fi and broadband will resolve the IP address to any internet backbone hook-up within a 100-mile range.

You can tell from those IP-based ads that show up on all sorts of sites - "Girls from XXXXX want to meet you" etc.

So: not really.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2007, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Depending on the provider, access via Wi-Fi and broadband will resolve the IP address to any internet backbone hook-up within a 100-mile range.

You can tell from those IP-based ads that show up on all sorts of sites - "Girls from XXXXX want to meet you" etc.

So: not really.
Thanks

mediahound
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2007, 05:27 PM

I think the point of the ad is that the person is doing a

'show me seafood restaurants near 123 Battery St'

and not

'show me seafood restaurants near where I am right now'

tasslehawf
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2007, 09:55 PM

I have google maps on my Treo 650 and it simply 'remembers' the last place I was. It is likely (and useful) that the 'user' in the commercial was already using the map based in SF.
Custom furniture: Steel, wood, concrete. Concrete counter tops.
http://mhayesdesign.com
http://theconcreature.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules