Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new design for MB

new design for MB
zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2007, 07:31 AM

iMac and now iPods in AL.
I am curious to see the MB in AL, as they would put it so well : "Beautifully redesigned, MacBook features a sleek, new all-metal enclosure."

jamiemcf
Sep 15, 2007, 09:27 AM

Can't see that happening, it would look too similar to the MacBook Pro

rach
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2007, 10:14 AM

Sony are putting dedicated graphics in some Sony CR models. The CR is one of the models which competes with the MB.
I think that Apple could well put a low end dedicated graphic card in the MB. I know that this will make it closer to the MBP but it is not like they haven't done this in the past. The iBook's and PB's both used to use dedicated graphics. If they do put in a low end dedicated card then could that well be a notebook that I would seriously consider buying. I have thought about them just upgrading the Black MB to low end graphics but i think that could well be to much of a hassle to do for them at production level.

I doubt that they give it an AL case. They will most probably upgrade the CPU to SR and if they don't go the low end dedicated graphics route then they will put in intel's x3100.

I have read several posts where say a PB user has complained about the plastic mb case and has given that as one of the reasons why they would not buy a MB. If Apple do this then of course the difference between both of those models will be less.
( Last edited by rach; Sep 15, 2007 at 10:57 AM. Reason: typo)

Kaspers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2007, 12:06 PM

Well there is a change of a new macbook pro with dimensions as the macbook.. But I don't see an AL Macbook happening..

applemacbook
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2007, 11:06 PM

I really doubt Apple will go through the trouble of changing any of the macbook designs at this point.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 16, 2007, 12:54 AM

Well, if they were to encase the MacBook in aluminum, like the separation between the classic and the nano, the MB would still have hardware inferior to the MBP (and probably colorful shell colors; I'd want one in the new light blue color....).
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Kaspers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2007, 05:54 AM

I'm pretty sure thats not gonna happen butterfly0fdoom..
Macbook just stays white and black, and there's a very little change it will be encased in AL.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 16, 2007, 11:18 AM

I know. That was just hypothetical. Because if Apple were to encase both in Aluminum, they'd need something to entice people to stick with the MacBook aside from lower price for slightly inferior hardware. And colors, as the mini and nano have proven, are the most effective way to entice people. But then again, that's a totally different situation...
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Warbrain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2007, 12:53 PM

Apple won't change the body of the MacBook to aluminum. They only did so with the iMac because they understood that more professionals were buying them so they wanted to make a more "professional" computer. MacBooks look just fine the way thtey are now.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2007, 02:47 PM

The MacBook design is perfect as it is now.

The MacBook Pro though is in dire need of an update. Old keyboard design, old latch design, peeling paint, heat dissipation problems, airport problems.

Mark my words and quote this post, there will be a MacBook Pro redesign by MacWorld in January.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2007, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
The MacBook design is perfect as it is now.

The MacBook Pro though is in dire need of an update. Old keyboard design, old latch design, peeling paint, heat dissipation problems, airport problems.

Mark my words and quote this post, there will be a MacBook Pro redesign by MacWorld in January.
Quoted and marked. I'm not holding my breath, but I think there will be a redesign next summer.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2007, 03:07 PM

Most of Apple's recent redesigns have moved away from plastic....the next MacBook revision will as well.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 16, 2007, 04:15 PM

Well, when you consider the MacBook is Apple's newest computer design (the iMac doesn't count, it's just a reskin), there isn't any need to change the MacBook's design. Apple's oldest design is the MBP, which was a slightly modified PB design. But I don't forsee any changes to that. Or the Mac Pro. Or the Mac mini. Apple's current designs are fine the way they are.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Xarthan
Sep 16, 2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
Well, when you consider the MacBook is Apple's newest computer design (the iMac doesn't count, it's just a reskin), there isn't any need to change the MacBook's design. Apple's oldest design is the MBP, which was a slightly modified PB design. But I don't forsee any changes to that. Or the Mac Pro. Or the Mac mini. Apple's current designs are fine the way they are.
I want a MBP design where i can change the HD easily like the MB
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D | 2GB | 160 HD
Mac Pro 3.0 | 4GB | 1.5 TB | 30" ACD

HazMacFan
Sep 16, 2007, 07:07 PM

They have to release some hardware for Leopard this October. They have shown in the past "ipod Mini, 2nd gen Nano" that they can change design while at the height of success.
24" iMac 2.8 C2Ext,15" MBPro 2.2 C2D,20" iMac 2.0 G5,12" iBook 1.2 G4
16GB 3G iPhone, 60GB 5th Gen iPod, 20 GB 3rd Gen iPod

Christopera
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2007, 07:43 PM

After Apples announcement concerning their new greener intentions I wouldn't be too surprised if they did make a switch to a more recyclable system. So perhaps there is some weight(or lack of) behind an aluminum design.

I just wonder if there is another route to attain their environmental goals. I really think that they like to maintain differences between price scales with material feel.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 16, 2007, 08:29 PM

Well, the nano and the classic have the same functionality, but the classic has superior hardware while the nano is has a smaller screen and an assortment of colors. They're both made of the same materials and look very similar.

If the MacBook were changed to use aluminum, colors would be a logical option. The fact that aluminum is more recyclable than polycarbonate is a bit of an indication that this could happen. They changed the classic's front panel from polycarbonate to aluminum, after all.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2007, 10:53 PM

i think the mbp has one of the best keyboards i've ever used, i dont see why anybody would want to redesign it
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 16, 2007, 11:29 PM

I think the MB's overall design is one of the best in the industry. The secure magnetic latch and the Scrabble keyboard are the two main reasons I opted for an MB over an MBP.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

robshoy
Sep 17, 2007, 12:14 AM

I love the Macbook design and all, but wouldn't it make sense to make it aluminum and glass? The only white products left are iPod accesories, the Mac Mini, Macbook, and Airport. Even the keyboards are now mostly aluminum, save the white keys. Apple is straying away from white.

zubro  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2007, 07:40 AM

And from here :

Apple - Environment - Responsible Manufacturing

"Apple plans to completely eliminate the use of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and brominated flame retardants (BFRs) in its products by the end of 2008"

I do believe that they will go all AL!

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Sep 21, 2007, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by zubro View Post
And from here :

Apple - Environment - Responsible Manufacturing

"Apple plans to completely eliminate the use of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and brominated flame retardants (BFRs) in its products by the end of 2008"

I do believe that they will go all AL!
It would seem that 9 to 5 Mac agrees with you.

kelso
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2007, 10:08 AM

I don't see that happening. If all their computers were AL, all the computers would look the same and it would be a very boring lineup of computers. I see them releasing colors like the ipods more than I see them releasing them in AL.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by kelso View Post
I don't see that happening. If all their computers were AL, all the computers would look the same and it would be a very boring lineup of computers. I see them releasing colors like the ipods more than I see them releasing them in AL.
Um... the new color iPods are made of Aluminum. I for one see this as a natural progression of all things Apple. Aluminum is the new plastic.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 10:16 AM

I think they should do away with the Pro part on the MacBooks, make them all alumnium and name them the MacBook.
MacBook 13", 15", 17"

Personally, I do not see the need for the MacBook as it is, when there is no 13" MacBook Pro. Replace the MacBook with a 13" MacBook Pro.
They'd have to do something to keep the price to the ~$1,000 price point though. Slower CPU, smaller HD, etc, etc. But having them all backlit keyboards and alumnium would be nice.

edit. If that 9 to 5 Mac post about the new MacBook is correct, I'd probably buy one to replace my PowerBook.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Sep 21, 2007, 10:20 AM

Why not the same finish as the new iPod Nano line... coloured metal for the MBs and then a silver (or a black and silver mix) reserved for the MB Pro?

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2007, 10:51 AM

I'm gonna miss the white though.. they are dreamy...

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2007, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by zubro View Post
iMac and now iPods in AL.
I am curious to see the MB in AL, as they would put it so well : "Beautifully redesigned, MacBook features a sleek, new all-metal enclosure."
i doubt they will do that. it will be more expensive
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

kelso
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2007, 12:51 PM

If everything was AL. It would all look the same. Apple needs to keep things the way the are now or they need to introduce something new to how their computers are designed when it comes to the MacBook. Personally, I love my black Macbook and would hate to see them be pulled off the market for another AL computer.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 02:35 PM

@kelso. According to the 9-5 Mac article the new MacBooks will come in black AL.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 21, 2007, 03:36 PM

@kelso: look at the iPod line. The nano and classic clearly look different. The nano comes in colors, the classic comes in silver and black. Just that is enough for differentiation.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2007, 07:13 PM

I've been expecting this for a while. Two years ago, all of Apple's consumer line products were white PVC plastic: iMac, iPod, iPod Nano, and Macbook - now only the Macbook remains. It's the logical progression.

It does make me sad, though - I really liked the white look. The iMac G5 (Rev. A, without the bulging backside) remains my favorite computer ever.
15" MacBook Pro C2D, 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Matte Display.

Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2007, 08:49 PM

Yeah, I liked the pro/consumer separation. Thats why I will continue to use white Macs until I can't anymore.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 21, 2007, 10:12 PM

Well, the current iMac is plenty capable for pro environments. It's still got plastic, though; the backside is black plastic.

Like I said, I think color offerings will be the new separation.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2007, 10:36 PM

If they make all the new consumer Macs in different colors like the nanos that would be sweet.

What I really want, though, is a glossy black iMac. Basically extend the "black eye" of the current iMac all the way around the front where the aluminum is now. But a matte screen.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2007, 11:58 PM

It does seem like white plastic is on the way out from Apple's lineup. I thought the new iMac design looked hideous when I first saw pictures; oddly enough, having seen a few in person, I think they look fantastic. But I actually kinda think the white one looks more professional.

Back to the MacBook, I think the current design is the best looking portable Apple's ever made. Even given that it's the most recent all-new design, I think it'll be replaced before the year is out. Hope they come up with something that looks even half as awesome. And weighs a little less.

Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2007, 11:18 AM

Yeah I think Apple went overboard on the sleek and it actually look even MORE consumer now. When I first saw the new iMac, I hated it. Then I got used to it. Then I got a white iMac and then I hated the new one again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules