Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > DSL connect to MacBook

DSL connect to MacBook
Dell Switcher
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2008, 02:47 PM

Assume you have to buy the Apple modem connection for $49 to hook-up DSL to MacBook? Or is there another way. My MacBook is about 2 wks old.

Thanks
Switcher and damn glad...with iMac and PB who would not be happy!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 03:06 PM

Unless I'm misunderstanding something in your post.
You really shouldn't need to buy the apple modem to use DSL. I have DSL and do not have the modem. I'm not sure why you think you need it. The modem is needed for folks who are still using dial-up.

Cold Warrior
Feb 19, 2008, 03:10 PM

Yes, modem is for dial-up. Your DSL modem will interface with the telephone port (RJ11), then output via Ethernet (RJ45) to your MacBook (or some other device, such as a router).

EndlessMac
Senior User
Feb 20, 2008, 12:02 AM

Your DSL provider should give you a modem box. I think you are confused between a 56K dial up modem and a DSL modem. With a DSL modem you get a box like device that connects to your phone jack outlet using a standard phone cord and then you connect the DSL modem with an ethernet cord to your computer. You need two different cords. The DSL modem acts like a middle man between your computer and your phone line.

With a dial up modem you just connect directly from the phone jack to your computer with a dial up modem port if it's available or with a use of an adapter like Apple's USB modem if you don't. Many of the newer computers don't have the dial up modem ports anymore because they aren't as popular. To use any of the faster broadband internet technology such as DSL or cable you will have to connect through your ethernet port.

Dell Switcher  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
Your DSL provider should give you a modem box. I think you are confused between a 56K dial up modem and a DSL modem. With a DSL modem you get a box like device that connects to your phone jack outlet using a standard phone cord and then you connect the DSL modem with an ethernet cord to your computer. You need two different cords. The DSL modem acts like a middle man between your computer and your phone line.

With a dial up modem you just connect directly from the phone jack to your computer with a dial up modem port if it's available or with a use of an adapter like Apple's USB modem if you don't. Many of the newer computers don't have the dial up modem ports anymore because they aren't as popular. To use any of the faster broadband internet technology such as DSL or cable you will have to connect through your ethernet port.
Thanks very much for the reply from you and others. Since I only used cable modem, I had never seen DSL connection.

Very helpful!
Switcher and damn glad...with iMac and PB who would not be happy!

Xarthan
Feb 20, 2008, 02:24 PM

it should be the same except cable modem would input from a coax input and the dsl modem would input from the phone jack
Macbook Pro 2.16 C2D | 2GB | 160 HD
Mac Pro 3.0 | 4GB | 1.5 TB | 30" ACD

TravisReynolds
Mar 5, 2008, 02:03 AM

can't you just hook it up to airport and use your airport card?
From the one, and Only Travis Reynolds. You stay classy San Diego

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 5, 2008, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by TravisReynolds View Post
can't you just hook it up to airport and use your airport card?
No, you need a modem to convert the signal from a DSL signal to Ethernet. In the States, ISPs usually provide the appropriate modem (appropriately configured) to the customer on sign up.

The only functional difference between cable and DSL is that you (usually) have to set up some part of your system to provide username and password to connect with DSL. I always do that with my router (AirPort routers handle this fine).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules