Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Rogers.com phishing or Safari/SafariBlock settings?

Rogers.com phishing or Safari/SafariBlock settings?
Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2008, 02:36 PM

The other evening I noticed that when I type in a webpage that doesn't exist, Safari will direct me to a supposed Rogers-Yahoo search engine looking for the site. However, if I enter the search engine without entering a non-existent website, all I get is a 1x1 .gif image. The supposed search engine is located at www20.search.rogers.com, or wwww20.search.rogers.com. I've tried using SafariBlock to stop Safari from going to the site, but it doesn't seem to be doing the job since the last part of the URL will change depending on what bogus website I've entered. I've ran the DNSchanger tool, and it doesn't appear to be that virus (nor am I stupid enough to fall for that one!). I've also checked for the OSX.RSPlug.A and don't seem to have that.

I haven't called Rogers yet, although I should, but any idea on what might be causing this?

Cold Warrior
Jul 29, 2008, 02:42 PM

Sometimes SafariBlock will give you a 1x1 gif image and display a blank page if it blocks something. SafariBlock's ad list must consider the main page block-worthy while the results pages are not.

If you want to bypass Rogers search redirects, you should change your DNS. Use www.opendns.com instead.

edit: I've also moved this to Applications.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2008, 02:56 PM

If it makes you feel any better, Verizon DSL at my parents does the exact same thing. Mistype a URL and you get their special Yahoo page.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2008, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
If you want to bypass Rogers search redirects, you should change your DNS. Use www.opendns.com instead.
The thing is that OpenDNS does the same thing - typing a URL that isn't valid gets you a search page.

You can change that in the settings, but it determines who you are by IP address - meaning that if you have a dynamic IP, you're back to the defaults every time your IP changes.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Cold Warrior
Jul 29, 2008, 03:02 PM

Correct, but I'd rather have opendns do it than my ISP, who can link my searches and redirects to my IP and account.

That brings us to a natural extension of the OP's issue: Is there a way to block these search redirects regardless of ISP or DNS settings?

Jim Paradise  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Correct, but I'd rather have opendns do it than my ISP, who can link my searches and redirects to my IP and account.

That brings us to a natural extension of the OP's issue: Is there a way to block these search redirects regardless of ISP or DNS settings?
I've created an OpenDNS account in the meantime since, like Cold Warrior, I'd rather it direct me than Rogers. Ultimately, it would be nice to block these redirects.

Forum Links
Forum Rules